v16 Adding 'Documentaries' to menu next to 'Movies' and 'TV Shows'
Not sure if this is the right area for this question (i.e. not sure if this is related to Confluence or to more fundamental parts of Kodi) but here goes.

I have a large number of documentaries that I would like to have available as a separate menu option. Out of the box there's 'Videos", 'Movies' and 'TV shows' and I would like to have 'Documentaries' in there as well.

Right now documentaries are treated as TV shows. I don't like that.

In fact I'm not wild about the 'Videos' menu option next to 'Movies' and 'TV shows' (both of which are essentially videos) but I suppose I'm stuck with that because without it I can't add new items to the library, as far as I know.

Is this possible without major surgery? If so, how?

Tnx in advance! All hints and pointers in the right direction are appreciated.

// FvW
HOW-TO:Edit_the_home_screen_skin_files (wiki)
Current Kodi addon projects: zap2epg, sd4tvh and tvh2kodi (tvh config from inside Kodi)
Testing ATSC single and dual tuners on RPi3 and the occasional s905 box
If you like my work you can buy me a coffee!
Confluence is the default skin (up to kodi 16 / Jarvis.
As such it's very reliable, always up to date, very simple and missing bells and whistles that can make other skins more attractive but also potentially less reliable / slower.

The obvious way forward for you is to install a skin that allows some customization of the home screen. As an example I use xonfluence, which has its roots in confluence (via CCM) so is similar to navigate but has a variety of options to customize what you see. So I have Cartoons, Documentaries, Sports (and plenty more) as home screen items.
Switch to such a skin (there are loads of options), make a 'Documentaries' smart playlist (see wiki / loads of threads here), set that on the home screen plus whatever else takes your fancy.

Another option would be to edit the confluence skin directly. The advantage is you keep all the speed and reliability of confluence - the downside is it needs to be repeated when confluence is updated (and you need to know / learn how to do it).

Another would be to make the smart playlist but access it via confluence menus or via favourites - easiest to set up, least user-friendly.

I'd say starting to customize your home screen isn't a trivial exercise - it takes some reading, some thought, some experimentation and probably a bit of swearing. Ultimately it depends how much trouble you want to go to - for me it's well worth it.
Thanks, guys! This is exactly what I needed to know. Troggy, I appreciate you taking the time to give me these helpful answers. I'm reading up on the wiki that Edit4Ever linked to, and I have installed Xonfluence and will be playing with the various settings this morning.

Once again thanks. You guys rock!

// FvW
(2016-09-24, 16:39)trogggy Wrote: As an example I use xonfluence,
Which on the basis of what you wrote I installed, and so far I like it. I understand that the extra features come at a price (i.e. giving up Confluence's lean&mean and reliable simplicity) but it's worth it.

However (and I searched but there's apparently no other thread discussing Xonfluence so let me drift off-topic here) after installing it I miss the menu option giving me access to the Kodi settings. There's only a link to skin settings (for Xonfluence only) or OpenElec settings (on which I run Kodi) which also means I can't revert to Confluence because the skin selection was part of the Kodi settings.

Any suggestions?

(2016-09-24, 16:39)trogggy Wrote: I'd say starting to customize your home screen isn't a trivial exercise - it takes some reading, some thought, some experimentation and probably a bit of swearing. Ultimately it depends how much trouble you want to go to - for me it's well worth it.
I agree. I'm not scared of getting my hands dirty. I've started to make some new content nodes for the new genres, and I'm now looking into how to put these onto the home screen menu. Wish me luck! Smile

// FvW
It's been so long since I saw the default install I can't remember what it looks like, but as long as you have access to skin settings it's no problem...
Go into skin settings, set one of your home menu items to System Menu > Settings System.
Give it a catchy name, go back to your home page and you have your kodi settings.

Edit: xonfluence discussion is here.
(2016-09-25, 20:15)trogggy Wrote: It's been so long since I saw the default install I can't remember what it looks like, but as long as you have access to skin settings it's no problem...
Go into skin settings, set one of your home menu items to System Menu > Settings System.
Give it a catchy name, go back to your home page and you have your kodi settings.
Yep! That works. Smile Tnx!
(2016-09-25, 20:15)trogggy Wrote: Edit: xonfluence discussion is here.
Got it!

Tnx once again. It's greatly appreciated!

// FvW
No problem. Have fun with it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding 'Documentaries' to menu next to 'Movies' and 'TV Shows'1