• 46(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2016-09-26, 20:26)jebise Wrote:
(2016-09-26, 16:33)gsmtech Wrote:
(2016-09-24, 12:18)Chris P Bacon Wrote: http://www.slashgear.com/xiaomi-mi-box-a...-23457455/

According to the above. the Xiaomi Mi box is available at Walmart in the US for $69.

[Edit] oops sorry just noticed that there is a dedicated thread for the Mi box where this info was already posted. But possibly also of interest to many reading this thread...

That could well be a game changer 69 dollars is cheap for a branded device that should have good support.

It's a shame it has no Ethernet port so you have to use wi-fi , also only 8gb flash... But widevine L1 support is there so Netflix HD is a possibility.

One to keep an eye on... Nothing to get too excited about right now.

8gb is a non issue with adoptive storage, ethernet can be added via usb.

Shame it doesn't come with higher storage and a LAN port but not a show stopper if you get a usb hub with LAN, worth the price IMO.

Hoping it gets full LE or better yet dual boot.

It's not personally worth it at for me, I already have a Beelink Mini MX V1 with 2G RAM/16G Flash, Gig ethernet, Dual Band WIfI, Ksaqz LibreElec build, dual boot android/libre elec... This device cost me less than 69 dollars....

The widevvine L1 support on the xiaomi will be of interest to those that want Netflix HD, other than that the software support and android fixes that may result from the release of this device should be intersting...is the gap between Kodi on android and Kodi on LibreElec about to get smaller ??

Also remains to be seen what the cost of thos device is on the general market is 69 dollars specifically a USA / Walmart price ??
I didn't feel this box deserved its own thread, not in its present state, so posting here...

Beelink GT1 (AML S912): A/V Performance Review
(September 27, 2016)

Overall Verdict: D
  • A/V performance: D
  • User experience: C- (box is snappy w/o lags, but sports a dated and clunky UI)
  • Value for money: B (assuming you're just attaching directly to a TV, and don't care about framerates)
  • Support: D

watch gallery

Overview:

This is an initial review of Beelink's AMLogic S912-based media player, the GT1. It's just $57 at GearBest. Thanks to GearBest for reaching out and sending me a GT1 unit for review. I was curious to see how this would fare vs. S905-based media players.

A/V Performance:

Poor at this point (no other way to put it). I didn't test my full suite of a/v test files as performance was disappointing even with the initial few I did try out. So below is to provide a decent sense of playback quality, or lack of it I should say. I only tested under Android, via SPMC. @kszaq, at LibreELEC forum, has said he has "no plans to build for S912". I'm not sure if trying his S905 LibreELEC build makes sense on S912-based GT1. If yes, let me know guys. And, reason I used SPMC was that Beelink had preinstalled official Kodi 16.1, which I don't believe has optimizations for AMLogic SoC, and worse, was crammed full of banned add-ons (bad Beelink, they should know better!). Debated with myself if I should stop right there, but I was nonetheless curious to check out SPMC on a S912 box (as GT1 is the only one I have at the moment).

Audio Test Results
  • AAC 5.1 = Pass; all channels mapped correctly, no issues
  • Dolby Digital 5.1 = pass
  • Dolby Digital+ 5.1/7.1 = Fail; no audio and Safari.m2ts stutters badly
  • Dolby TrueHD 5.1/7.1 = Fail; audio output as PCM 2.0
  • Dolby ATMOS = Fail; audio output as PCM 2.0
  • DTS 5.1 = Fail; no audio
  • DTS-HD HRA 5.1/7.1 = Fail; no audio
  • DTS-HD MA 5.1/7.1 = Fail; no audio
  • DTS:X = Fail, no audio
  • LPCM 5.1 = Pass
  • LPCM 7.1 = Partial fail, as output in 5.1

Video Test Results
  • > Note that GT1 plays all videos at 60.000fps (same resolution as UI)
    > See photo gallery above for the 4K window-boxed issue

• Birds bitrate clips = Perfect playback of all, up to available 90Mbps
  • Jellyfish bitrate clips = Perfect playback of H.264 up to 200Mbps, and of HEVC up to 180Mbps
  • MPEG2 480i 29.970 (NTSC) = Pass
  • MPEG2 576i 25.000 (PAL) = Plays, but at 60fps
  • MPEG2 720p 4:2:0 59.940 (20mbps) = Pass, no audio as DTS-HD MA track
  • MPEG2 1080i 4:2:0 29.970 (35mbps) = Pass, no audio as DTS-HD MA track
  • MPEG2 1080i 4:2:2 29.970 (27mbps) = Green pixellated mess, but all AML players I've tested have same issue
  • H.264 23.976 1080p = Plays, but at 60fps
  • H.264 24.000 1080p = Plays, but at 60fps
  • H.264 29.970 1080i = Pass
  • H.264 29.970, 60.000 1080p = Pass
  • H.264 25.000, 50.000 1080p = Plays, but at 60fps
  • VC-1 23.976 1080p = Plays, but at 60fps
  • VC-1 29.970 1080i = Fail, no playback
  • 3D MVC MKV = Plays in 2D mode
  • 3D MVC ISO = Plays in 2D mode
  • 4K H.264 29.970fps Costa Rica = Plays, but in weird window-boxed mode
  • 4K HEVC 29.970fps Chimei Inn = Plays, but in weird window-boxed mode
  • 4K 10bit HEVC 50fps EAC3 7.1 Silent by Dolby = Plays in weird window-boxed mode, with major audio drop-outs
  • 4K HDR HEVC 10-bit BT.2020 24fps Life of Pi Sample = Plays, but in weird window-boxed mode
  • 4K 10-bit HEVC BT.2020 29.970fps Samsung = Plays, but in weird window-boxed mode
  • 4K 10-bit HEVC 59.940fps BT.2020 Chinese sample = Plays, but in weird window-boxed mode
  • 4K DolbyVision HEVC 10-bit 23.976fps LG Trailer = Plays, but in weird window-boxed mode
  • 4K VP9 = Plays, but in weird window-boxed mode

General Performance:

At least one thing that Beelink's GT1 has going for it is its fairly snappy performance, with no lags navigating main UI (Android launcher) and SPMC with large movie/TV libraries. The supplied remote is cheap-feeling, and has limited range and responsiveness (must be pointed directly at box, standing no more than about 10 feet away).

GT1 unit itself has a nice, small form factor, fitting in the palm of your hands. It's lightweight, and looks like a shinier, smaller Amazon Fire TV box (whose design, form factor many Chinese Android TV box manufacturers have emulated).

Wrap-Up:

In its present form, under Android, with its present latest firmware (dated 9/9/2016, via OTA), Beelink's GT1 obviously isn't recommended. Even with SPMC, this box falls (very) sort for even a half-way serious A/V enthusiast. Unless the f/w is drastically improved by Beelink (won't happen, as their support is poor), or some developer(s) decide to build LibreELEC builds optimized for AML S912, I don't see any rays of light for this box. Wonder how other S912 boxes will fare?! Minix NEO U9-H at least should be solid.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
My Beelink MINI MXIII II has just arrived.

First impressions are pretty good considering the price. Build feels good, nice little remote and UK power supply which looks ok.

Booted up fine and connected to wifi first time. Wifi connection was a bit patchy but only have a weak signal in the room, connected up ethernet and all was good. OS feels nice and responsive, came with Kodi 16.1 which was preloaded with add-ons.

Not had a chance to try out different video files and test audio out yet, expect i'll start to see it's limitations when I do. Only running this one on my 1920x1200 PC monitor and 5.1 Logitech speakers so doesn't bother me too much, already have a Shield hooked up to my main AV system. Will get round to trying a clean Kodi install and latest Libreelec build for S905x (Don't think Libreelec has WiFi and Bluetooth working yet for this device). Want to mess around with Android and other apps a bit more first.
(2016-09-28, 17:12)i_am_jond Wrote: ... came with Kodi 16.1 which was preloaded with add-ons....

Dump that & install SPMC from the Play Store

Also check for the 20160919 update - wifi performance improved with that (for me) and it also enables root!
(It took multiple attempts to get this installed - eventually installed it off the SD Card rather than OTA - you can get both the patch AND the full image off Beelink forum)

Don't know how you feel about the launcher, but I loaded Nova

kszaq's LibreElec indeed will not yet have wifi or bluetooth
(2016-09-29, 00:51)DEcosse Wrote:
(2016-09-28, 17:12)i_am_jond Wrote: ... came with Kodi 16.1 which was preloaded with add-ons....

Dump that & install SPMC from the Play Store

Also check for the 20160919 update - wifi performance improved with that (for me) and it also enables root!
(It took multiple attempts to get this installed - eventually installed it off the SD Card rather than OTA - you can get both the patch AND the full image off Beelink forum)

Don't know how you feel about the launcher, but I loaded Nova

kszaq's LibreElec indeed will not yet have wifi or bluetooth

Would you post Beelink url where you got the 20160919 update?

There's so much firmware out there I would not want to load one that didn't work. After loading the update do I have to install/rebuild all my apps and Kodi?

Like you the OTA did not work for me, just gave me an error message about servers so I am guessing Beelink offer it as an option but don't support it.

Here is the Mini MXIII II discussion thread on Beelink forum where Beelink posted the links:
http://www.bee-link.com/Beelink-392-1-1.html
Their forum is definitely a bit dodgy - they arbitrarily delete posts as they choose!

Complete firmware - https://mega.nz/#!eANXXT5C!Xl8f6-6lwO3Vv...dwZU3MSUW8

Update Patch - https://mega.nz/#F!CcdUkBpS!3WZ_zlooAlD8QKrtJpezRg

I actually saved the update from the OTA but that should be same as the one above.

If you update, it should keep apps you have; if you flash complete firmware it will be like you just received the box.

These are the 'release notes (sic!)

The latest firmware update content:
1.add root.
2.solve the problem that can't change language.
3.rectify storage show incorrect.
4.support kodi back-up plug-in on USB.
5.solved other problems.

The main kodi backup/restore does work from the Program Addon - however the Skin Backup will still not recognize the external drives.

p.s. look through the forum - a LOT of unhappy campers who bought the S912 GT1
(2016-09-29, 10:28)DEcosse Wrote:
(2016-09-29, 08:55)Jeffers24 Wrote:

Here is the Mini MXIII II discussion thread on Beelink forum where Beelink posted the links:
http://www.bee-link.com/Beelink-392-1-1.html
Their forum is definitely a bit dodgy - they arbitrarily delete posts as they choose!

Complete firmware - https://mega.nz/#!eANXXT5C!Xl8f6-6lwO3Vv...dwZU3MSUW8

Update Patch - https://mega.nz/#F!CcdUkBpS!3WZ_zlooAlD8QKrtJpezRg

I actually saved the update from the OTA but that should be same as the one above.

If you update, it should keep apps you have; if you flash complete firmware it will be like you just received the box.

These are the 'release notes (sic!)

The latest firmware update content:
1.add root.
2.solve the problem that can't change language.
3.rectify storage show incorrect.
4.support kodi back-up plug-in on USB.
5.solved other problems.

The main kodi backup/restore does work from the Program Addon - however the Skin Backup will still not recognize the external drives.

p.s. look through the forum - a LOT of unhappy campers who bought the S912 GT1

Thanks for information.

Looks like the link for the beelink blog is for the later model than the one I have, MiniMXIII II with S905X?

I should have included in my earlier post, my build is Mini mxlll_107L1, my processor is the S905.

Would you recommend update or complete flash, which did you do?

Did you notice any improvements/fixes, is it worth doing?
(2016-09-29, 10:47)Jeffers24 Wrote: I should have included in my earlier post, my build is Mini mxlll_107L1, my processor is the S905.
That's a different box with different firmware. Sticking firmware from a v2 s905x box would be a bad idea.
Libreelec runs great on a minimxiii - if kodi's all you need or your main need use that.
(2016-09-29, 10:55)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-09-29, 10:47)Jeffers24 Wrote: I should have included in my earlier post, my build is Mini mxlll_107L1, my processor is the S905.
That's a different box with different firmware. Sticking firmware from a v2 s905x box would be a bad idea.
Libreelec runs great on a minimxiii - if kodi's all you need or your main need use that.

Thanks for warning.

I integrate Android Apps into my Kodi build so I need to use Android/Kodi, thanks for suggestion.
Bug 
(2016-09-29, 10:28)DEcosse Wrote: p.s. look through the forum - a LOT of unhappy campers who bought the (Beelink) S912 GT1
Yes agreed.
I'm now going to Sarcastically refer to Beelink as BUGLink from this point going forward.

The one hope is that once the proper Android TV OS - Xiaomi Mi Box get established these buggy Pirate Android Boxes will die a long over death.

(2016-09-29, 11:01)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2016-09-29, 10:55)trogggy Wrote:

Thanks for warning.

I integrate Android Apps into my Kodi build so I need to use Android/Kodi, thanks for suggestion.
I spent a while in Android when I first set up the box, but I've used nothing but libreelec for a long time now so I'm not really interested / bothered by firmware bugs tbh. If I was I'd think about trying this port.
Not vouching for anything, and I'd certainly be making sure I had a TWRP backup, backed up everything with titanium backup, copy of original firmware etc before starting - it would wipe everything and might or might not be an improvement.
If it breaks it's your problem.
Other than that you're on the latest firmware already.
(2016-09-29, 11:06)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes agreed.
I'm now going to Sarcastically refer to Beelink as BUGLink from this point going forward.
I'd happily (and might) buy another Beelink for libreelec, not for anything else.
I'm happy with my Beelink MINIMXlll S950 for around £32, does everything I want to do using Android+Kodi.
(2016-09-29, 11:38)Jeffers24 Wrote: I'm happy with my Beelink MINIMXlll S950 for around £32, does everything I want to do using Android+Kodi.
Of course... I bought my Beelink Mini MX for 22$ and I am very happy with it. Not a single problem so far, and I am having it for more than a month.

I know that it has poor support, but you know what, I don't need support! Especially if it would cost me 50-60$ (150-200%) more. Since if you want the device with the same hardware as, for example, Mini MX and good support it costs more than 80$.

The thing is that those unhappy "users" are louder than those happy users and they make things look worse more then they really are Smile
Beelink hardware is good, they are probably the best of the budget China boxes in that regard. The Mini MX series is a great box running LibreElec there's nothing in that price bracket than can come anywhere close to it 30 to 40 dollars delivered sometimes less when they are on promotion.

The stock android builds also work fine, I routinely boot into android to run android apps, for Kodi I boot into Libre Elec using Kszaqs latest build.

The newer series of boxes S905x based and S912 based devices with Android 6 arre best off avoided for now unless your happy with buggy android builds and your needs are minmal. You might find SPMC on android is fine for your needs. There is no plans for Libre Elec development on S912 and S905x development is in very early stages so your taking a gamble buying these SOCS if your expecting Libre Elec builds.

That said, for the price 50 dollars roughly for a Beelink GT1 - S912 device with 2Gb RAM, 16Gb flash, dual band AC WiFi your getting a hell of a lot of hardware for the money, so your not exactly breaking the bank anyway.

Also unless your comfortable with writing images to SD card and folloqing basic instructions these cheap china boxes may not be for For anyone else with even a very basic IT skills you can defintely get a great Kodi experience with a budget china box with a S905 SOC once you get a good LibreElec build on there.

The initial post on the thread is also out of date, multi channel PCM audio is working fine on Ksaqz latest builds of Libre Elec
  • 46(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6