• 3(current)
Linux HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation
(2016-08-23, 10:26)solbero Wrote: Could you describe your audio setup?

HDMI from PC to a TV. Optical from TV out to a soundbar. Audio works from TV to soundbar on other TV inputs, and The PC with Kodi worked before the new install. Running the following will play audio through the soundbar without issue:

Code:
aplay -D plughw:0,7 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Right.wav
I think you might have this bug, since you are sending the audio and video signals to different devices:
Quote:Audio devices are disappearing with pulseaudio 8.0 (Ubuntu 16.04) especially while running kodi and while using Adjust Refreshrate to match video. This is an issue with the module-switch-on-port-available module and will be fixed with pulseaudio 9.0, the fix sadly won't probably make it into Ubuntu 16.04. As a workaround please disable that feature by editing /etc/pulse/default.pa and commenting or removing load-module module-switch-on-port-available and reboot the system.

So, I would install PulseAudio again and try the fix mentioned above. See if that solves the problem.
Still doesn't work. I did hear the "tick" of moving through the menu items, but only for a second. No GUI sounds, no playback audio.

These are the only two selections available when pulse is installed. If I uninstall and use alsa, there are several options including HDMI. It will even tell me my model of TV.

EDIT:
Turning on TV audio and disabling the soundbar doesn't change anything.
Install pavucontrol if you dont have it already and try to log in as USER. Set it up pavucontrol according to the Kodi Wiki. I would think your soundbar is 2.0 output and not 5.1 as is seen from you screenshot.

ALSA will give you a lot more options for sound, since Kodi is given full control of audio if you use it. If you use PulseAudio, you will only see the option selected as output in pavucontrol.

Start Kodi logged in as USER, and see if you can get any sound. If you can get sound to output correctly there, it should work in the Opebox session.
Even logging in as my Kodi user, I still only got the dummy device in pavucontrol. Logging in as admin, I could see all devices. I decided to just reformat and set up Kodi the old way. It seems that part of the problem is my soundbar or TV passing the audio to the soundbar. Alsa stops working after a few minutes if there is no content playing, or if I play a Youtube stream the audio stutters, then stops working. If I turn off my TV and back on, and start playing some local content within a minute or two the audio is fine. If I can't figure it out I'll create my own support thread, since my problem is seemingly unrelated to this setup.

Thanks for the help though! I learned a little about audio setup.
Hi,I uptaded kodi and now when the systems logs in openbox , kodi doesn't start. In root user xcfe desktop its ok, I checked lightdm.conf and all are ok. What could be the problem?
have the same problem now.
I update to KODI v17 beta 3 and don't start after booting...
It looks like it boot into openbox. when I open a console there
and start Kodi it works...
So there must be a problem with autostart...
Board: B85M-ITX
CPU: i3 4330
GPU: Geforce GTX 750ti
(2016-10-06, 17:38)Hammurabi Wrote: Hi,I uptaded kodi and now when the systems logs in openbox , kodi doesn't start. In root user xcfe desktop its ok, I checked lightdm.conf and all are ok. What could be the problem?

Do you update to KODI v17?
I just found a solution. You have to change the kodi.openbox.session line 74 to /usr/bin/kodi

That solved the problem for me...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro
Board: B85M-ITX
CPU: i3 4330
GPU: Geforce GTX 750ti
@sveni_lee
Thanks, this solved my problem Smile
Do you need to use a window manager (ie. openbox) ?

I'm interested in using KMS-mode for lower latency in emulators.
Hi and thanks for this great tutorial, I just switched from openelec.
But I have one question, how can I switch the keyboard layout to germane "qwertz", if I type in KODI there is no german layout...?

Thank you very much in advance...
(2016-10-16, 14:38)sveni_lee Wrote:
(2016-10-06, 17:38)Hammurabi Wrote: Hi,I uptaded kodi and now when the systems logs in openbox , kodi doesn't start. In root user xcfe desktop its ok, I checked lightdm.conf and all are ok. What could be the problem?

Do you update to KODI v17?
I just found a solution. You have to change the kodi.openbox.session line 74 to /usr/bin/kodi

That solved the problem for me...

lufinkey has released v. 1.0.2 of his kodi-openbox scripts. This commit specifically solves the issue with kodi.bin in Kodi v.17.

(2016-10-17, 19:56)SofaKng Wrote: Do you need to use a window manager (ie. openbox) ?

I'm interested in using KMS-mode for lower latency in emulators.

I don’t know. I think I have read somewhere that you can run Kodi in KMS. However, I’m quite sure you would need a window manager to be able to switch between the Kodi window and an emulator window.

(2016-10-31, 08:02)jmahnke Wrote: Hi and thanks for this great tutorial, I just switched from openelec.
But I have one question, how can I switch the keyboard layout to germane "qwertz", if I type in KODI there is no german layout...?

Thank you very much in advance...

It could be two issues: one solution is that OS is not set to German “qwertz”. If that is the case, log in as USER and change the keyboard layout in settings.

Or, it could be that kodi is not set up for German. In that case, go to the International sub-menu in Settings. Under Language you can check more than one language, eg. English and German. Now you should be able to switch between then on the on-screen keyboard.
Hello, thanks for the post.
When I autostart Kodi from booting, and select emulationstation via advanced launcher, it launches. BUT when I choose a rom, it doesnt load the roam; instead it returns to emulationstation. But if I start kodi via terminal, typing "kodi" and start emulationstation via advanced launcher, then select a rom, it starts as it should be. Any idea what is happening?
Thanks!
(2016-07-19, 12:41)solbero Wrote: [...]

7.5. Edit favorites.xml

There is a bug in Advanced Launcher/Kodi that launches a favorite with Kodi’s PlayMedia function instead of the RunProgram function. To fix this you need to edit the favorites.xml manually.

Open the favorites.xml (make sure you are USER):
Code:
nano ~/.kodi/userdata/favorites.xml

Replace PlayMedia with RunProgram for the favorites Steam and Emulation.

If your favorites.xml doesn’t contain any other favorites, it is possible to replace PlayMedia with RunProgram automatically with the sed command.
Code:
sed -i -e 's/PlayMedia/RunProgram/g' ~/.kodi/userdata/favorites.xml

[...]

First let me say thank you for your guide... saved me the trouble of trying different routes until finding the shortest/leanest path to this setup Wink

Second, there's an error (or should I say two errors) in this section: it's "RunPlugin", not "RunProgram", as you may confirm in the link to the bug; and it's "favourites.xml", not "favorites.xml" (at least in Jarvis it is - maybe previous versions used the alternative spelling?) Wink
@asphixmx: I would need some logs to see what is happening. Could you turn on logging in Kodi, and let it run while you are trying to launch EmulationStation. Also you need to enable logging for the emulator you are trying to launch.

To do so is a little more complicated: Open up es_systems.cfg (the configuration for EmulationStation). Find the section in the XML-file for the emulator you are trying to launch. Find the command that launches the emulator, which is enclosed in the <command> tags. Append " > ~/es-log.txt" (without the quotation marks) the the end of the command. This will send the output to a file called es-log.txt which will be placed in your home folder.

Post the logs to a pastebin and post a link here.

If you have any problems, just post and I'll try to help.

@Rokys: Good catch. I have fixed them now.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO: Minimal Ubuntu 16.04 with Kodi, Steam & EmulationStation4