Using releasetype to sort on album table in library?
(2016-10-04, 19:34)DaveBlake Wrote: It is worth noting that v17 now scans what in Picard this is called "release type" tag that appears in the various formats respectively as TXXX:MusicBrainz Album Type (Id3 v2.4), RELEASETYPE (Vorbis/Xiphe/FLAC), MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMTYPE (APE), MusicBrainz/Album (ASF) Type, ----:com.apple.iTunes:MusicBrainz Album Type (mp4/iTunes)

Mr. Dave, a silly question: is possible to use "any" tags in order to sort albums in library? For example, "releasetype".
Something like the following:

That within each artist, the albums table be sorted by album, single, ep, bootleg (releasetype)...

[By the way, I don't know if could somehow separate which would correspond to "appearances".]

Thank you.
Nice jazz collection Smile

Currently the albums node can be sorted by:
album title
album artist
album artist and year
year
date added (mis-named, it is not the date the album was added to the library)
play count
last played
rating
userrating

Title, artist and year are all derrived from song file tags. Date added is a file property (timestamp). Playcount and lastplayed are set by Kodi automatically, userrating by the user via Kodi. Rating and userrating can also be set from NFO file.

But that list could easily be extended, and I guess that is the initial feature you are requesting? Genres (from song genres), Moods, Styles, Themes, Label, and Type are all possibilities. Label and Type both come initially from music file tags, all can be set by album NFO files. I guess the key question is could the list of sort criteria become too long and unuseable with another 6 items?

Also Kodi has to do sort combinations explicitly e.g. artist & year, which could become tedious very quickly. Providing a means for the user to specify sort combinations would need a complete redesign of how sorting is selected.

Most interesting is the rest of your idea shown by the image:
Miles Davis is the single album artist for a number of albums, he also collaborates with other album artists (multiple album artists), and he is also a featured artist on albums by other people, on some songs or even all. Sometimes tagged as one of the song artists, or given a musician credit as trumpet, or composer etc.

I agree it would be interesting to be able to sort the album results using that information too. A little unclear if you would want to group by role (how it was tagged) or by the other album artist. What makes one album an "appearence" rather than a "with XXX"?

I can see how to get that order in data, far less clear about how to get that out for a skin to display intelligently. Anyone else care to comment?
I'm just sorting my library, seeing the possibilities and learning. I'm just testing until I get the raspberry and bring everything there.

For example, in this artist I have more than 50 albums (including albums, anthologies, ep, singles, bootlegs, reissues, appearances etc)... it's a "disaster"...

I think all those programs use "spotify style" (I don't know what it's called this "structure") (please, sorry my english)...
As I saw that Kodi reads ALL, I wondered if could use those tags to sort albums in artist library, separating them, for example by releasetype.

* albums
1980 - 1
1981 - 2
* singles
1980 - 1/2
* bootgleg
1982 - 1 live at whatever
* appareances ( Huh )

I just asking out of curiosity.
Maybe other people have some good idea about it!!!

Thak you!

[About dates/years (or original date) I don't know how to deal with this.]
I can see in this example that being able to sort album by type (having tagged the songs from those albums with a useful release type) would be very useful for you. Probably type and year would be good too.

Kodi already separates off songs it identifies as singles, those that do not have an ALBUM tag, from the rest. It will also, in v17, allow you to filter the anthologies if you have tagged the songs form them with COMPILATION = 1.

Not sure what you are asking about dates and years?
You could also potentially use path rules such as "includes the text in path" - "bootleg" to separate them out somehow.

This is what I do for my OST and DJ set releases.
(2016-10-14, 16:06)DaveBlake Wrote: I can see in this example that being able to sort album by type (having tagged the songs from those albums with a useful release type) would be very useful for you. Probably type and year would be good too.

Exactly. That was what I meant by using the tag "releasetype".

(2016-10-14, 16:06)DaveBlake Wrote: Kodi already separates off songs it identifies as singles, those that do not have an ALBUM tag, from the rest. It will also, in v17, allow you to filter the anthologies if you have tagged the songs form them with COMPILATION = 1.

I read something about it here, but I thought: compilation = 1 was the same that releasetype = compilation. I'll try now and see the difference.
About singles, you mean non album title or not "album" into "releasetype" tag?

(2016-10-14, 16:06)DaveBlake Wrote: Not sure what you are asking about dates and years?

An album has the original date 1980, but CD was released in 1994. It can be sorted by original year? Depends on each user, I don't know how other people do, maybe some put the original date into the date of issue. Anyway, this isn't very important!

(2016-10-14, 17:18)zag Wrote: You could also potentially use path rules such as "includes the text in path" - "bootleg" to separate them out somehow.

Sorry for the noob question, but there is a wiki for this? Maybe in Skinning Manual?
Thanks!
Quote:
(2016-10-14, 17:18)zag Wrote: You could also potentially use path rules such as "includes the text in path" - "bootleg" to separate them out somehow.

Sorry for the noob question, but there is a wiki for this? Maybe in Skinning Manual?
Thanks!

http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_nodes
(2016-10-14, 18:10)alevarg Wrote:
(2016-10-14, 16:06)DaveBlake Wrote: Kodi already separates off songs it identifies as singles, those that do not have an ALBUM tag, from the rest. It will also, in v17, allow you to filter the anthologies if you have tagged the songs form them with COMPILATION = 1.

I read something about it here, but I thought: compilation = 1 was the same that releasetype = compilation. I'll try now and see the difference.
About singles, you mean non album title or not "album" into "releasetype" tag?
The COMPILATION tag has been processed by Kodi for quite some time, all be it sligtliy inconsistently. It is an addition to the ID3 standard originally for iTunes, but it is useful and useable. If it is set for all songs in an album, plus some other criteria I have listed elsewhere, then Kodi flags the album as a compilation. It will then be listed under the Compilations node.

The RELEASETYPE tag is also a non standard tag created by Picard to store the Musicbrainz release type, Picard will read values from the mb databse like "album / live" or "album / compliation" or "EP" or "soundtrack" etc. In v17 this tag gets read into the album type. This is a field that you can use in smart playlists, but Kodi does not do anything special with it internally. If you have tagged using Picard then compilation albums will probably end up with type = "album / compilation", but it is down to what you put in the release type tag.

If a music file is not tagged with an album title (ALBUM tag) then Kodi takes that song to be a single.

Quote:An album has the original date 1980, but CD was released in 1994. It can be sorted by original year? Depends on each user, I don't know how other people do, maybe some put the original date into the date of issue. Anyway, this isn't very important!

Kodi is simplistic, it stores one year taken from the YEAR, DATE, TYER, TDRC, or TDRL tags. These dates culd be different, it just takes the last it finds. There is some argument for Kodi dealing with both original and release years, but I am not sure how best to get there from where we are now. So many users will have tagged with one date and not the other etc.
Being able to sort artist's albums by RELEASETYPE would really be amazing. Having lots of Live albums, sorting by releasytype "album / live" or "album / bootleg" would be awsome Wink
(2017-03-05, 09:35)Rusendusen Wrote: Being able to sort artist's albums by RELEASETYPE would really be amazing. Having lots of Live albums, sorting by releasytype "album / live" or "album / bootleg" would be awsome Wink
Just a reminder, but the tag picard calls "release type", turns into album type in Kodi.

I hope you have noticed that you can already filter albums by album type - on albums node click on filter on the side blade.
And of course can use album type in rules for albums type smart playlists.

As for sorting I would like to lift the limitations on sorting entirely. Current implementation means there are a set list of sorts available, all hard coded, I would like to add user configurable combinations. Get there eventually.
(2017-03-05, 11:54)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2017-03-05, 09:35)Rusendusen Wrote: Being able to sort artist's albums by RELEASETYPE would really be amazing. Having lots of Live albums, sorting by releasytype "album / live" or "album / bootleg" would be awsome Wink
Just a reminder, but the tag picard calls "release type", turns into album type in Kodi.

I hope you have noticed that you can already filter albums by album type - on albums node click on filter on the side blade.
And of course can use album type in rules for albums type smart playlists.
Oh, that's nice Wink
Haven't noticed until yet! Not exactly what sorting by "album type" for an artist would allow, like OP wished and would be cool, but at least one may filter even within artists

Quote:As for sorting I would like to lift the limitations on sorting entirely. Current implementation means there are a set list of sorts available, all hard coded, I would like to add user configurable combinations. Get there eventually.
Know we're on the same boat here
(2017-03-05, 12:27)Rusendusen Wrote: Not exactly what sorting by "album type" for an artist would allow, like OP wished and would be cool, but at least one may filter even within artists
OP wants to be able to sort albums by (artist name, album type), actually that is probably (artist name, album type, album title) or (artist name, album type, year). But others could easily want (album type, artist name, year, album title), or (album type, year, artist name, album title) or... the combinations are many.

So rather than hard code my best guess at yet another sort, or risk the ire of the team by adding all the combinations and making the sort selection unuseable, the only way forwards with sorting is some kind of user configurable feature for sorts.

The other thing about sorting that irritates me is the way the display adapts depending on the sort. Wide screen and the only info displayed is the album title and the sort parameter value - there is room for more info, and I would like to use it e.g. see album title, artist and playcount.
As far as my understanding of OP is, and what I second, is realising a sort like MB's standard artist view:
http://musicbrainz.org/artist/4aae17a7-9...eafb410b1d
for artist's albums

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using releasetype to sort on album table in library?0