• 26(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-10-28, 01:01)garvani Wrote:
(2016-10-27, 20:13)mutagen Wrote: I do not think that my box is compatible with netflix HD or 4k streams, yo can check their site an see the list of compatible devices, even if any android tv box has the correct hardaware and softaware is up to netflix to allow the device to be compatible through their certification proses, and the vast majority do not pass

I just went to check the devices section of netflix and it has been seriously chopped down since the last time i checked. No mention of roku, amazon fire etc under streaming media players, no mention of any xbox under gaming consoles. Im almost positive a month ago the mi box was listed on that page. (Edit: just realised it redirects me to an Australian site, might be different for the US site)
Mutagen if your talking about the Mi box it is netflix HD and 4k certified. If your talking about some other amlogic android box then no its not.

I was talking about Mi Box, I have read contradictory information about Mi Box and HD netflix compatibility. On the other hand the netflix site in the US and elsewhere do not show or confirm in the compatibility lists that Mi Box is compatible. The easiest way to know is if any one has Mi Box to confirm that Netflix is working in HD.
Confirmed HD Netflix & 5.1 Audio on the Mi Box personally, and also look at 18:30 in this video - HD Netflix with 5.1 Audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wxTy_QW52U

I will have a detailed rundown tomorrow of what is working and also the Android 6.0.1 Firmware, that is causing problems for Kodi.

(2016-10-28, 18:46)wrxtasy Wrote: Confirmed HD Netflix & 5.1 Audio on the Mi Box personally, and also look at 18:30 in this video - HD Netflix with 5.1 Audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wxTy_QW52U

I will have a detailed rundown tomorrow of what is working and also the Android 6.0.1 Firmware, that is causing problems for Kodi.

Good to know cheers
Well thanks to Mr briand095, the Australia Post Kangaroo hopped up to the front door yesterday and I retrieved a Mi Box from its pouch !
You would not believe the amount of mail those hoppers can carry Wink

Updated September 7th 2017

The Xiaomi Mi Box is running Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 with AMLogic S905X SoC hardware & Firmware update 12th Jan.

Tested with SPMC 16.7.1 and Kodi Krypton 17.4....

The Good:
  • Well built quality little device, Xiaomi really should have called it the "Saucer" - its not a box !
  • The Android TV OS launcher and its specifically designed for TV, easy to use Apps, no damn Air Mice needed.
  • The ultra responsive - Bluetooth Voice Remote really is excellent - in fact the best on the market for Android TV.
  • A snappy device for $69, when navigating around the ATV GUI and Kodi.
  • Chromecast / Googlecast built.
  • 5.1 DD+ 4K - reliable Netflix confirmed working when connected to DD+ HDCP2.2 capable AVR / TV.
  • 5.1 / 7.1 AC3 / DD+ / Dolby Atmos/TrueHD, DTS:X/HD-Master Audio passthrough confirmed working with Kodi Krypton
  • 8/10bit 720/1080p playback is fine.
  • AC WiFi is excellent, with great WiFi receiver sensitivity, no issues streaming 1080p Blurays via a MIMO Apple Extreme (N) router.
  • There is an undocumented IR receiver, hidden on the front lower edge of the Mi Box.
  • Harmony IR remotes programmed as a Xiaomi Mi Box3 mirror exactly the included Bluetooth remote functions.
  • Tested out an old, (relatively power inefficient) 500GB 2.5" Hard Drive and have no issues with it running reliably on the Mi Box from the USB2 port due to the Mi Box's 5.2V / 2.0 Amp power pack.
  • ASIX AX88772 Chipset - USB to Ethernet Adapters such as this cheap (Apple clone) one have been confirmed working on the Mi Box
  • Other ASIX AX compatible adapters listed HERE and HERE

The Bad
  • All Android TV devices will only output Netflix 5.1 DD+ Audio when HDMI connected to a DD+ capable AVR / TV. DD only, HDMI connected Audio equiptment will result in 2.0 PCM only audio.
  • 99% of Android devices cannot Auto Resolution switch 1080p/4K for optimal quality picture outputs on a 4K TV.
  • Chromecasting is not that reliable on Android TV devices vs proper Google Chromecasting Hardware.
  • NO dynamic refresh rate switching.
    You can still switching TV refresh rates manually in Android settings for 23.976 / 29.97 / 59.94fps video output.
  • You will NOT get ultra smooth Kodi / Plex video playback. 3:2 Pulldown judder is evident for those sensitive to this type of video playback.
  • Problematic Hardware deinterlacing when using Kodi/SPMC and TvHeadend. Use TvHeadend Live Channels App but you will still have poor deinterlaced picture quality.
  • Workaround - SPMC TvHeadend - Software De-Interlacing tips for SD mpeg2 OTA TV - click HERE
  • This device is locked down tight with Android SELinux, you cannot Root it. So I cannot even test my Bluetooth PS3 controller for compatibility. It will not work via a USB connection either. Other Android controllers reported to work fine. (see Reddit).
  • Unless users have good home - N or AC WiFi - then 4K Netflix video streaming needs Ethernet for reliability. A USB to Ethernet adapter should be used. A reminder Android Settings > Display > Screen Resolution - need to be set to a 4K2K resolution.

The Downright Ugly:
  • Because the Mi Box does not have a LAN/Ethernet port, High Bitrate 4K video with HD Audio - Kodi playback will be unreliable even when using a USB > Ethernet adapter. Do NOT buy the Mi Box for 4K Kodi video streaming !

With about 4 Firmware updates since October 2016 the Mi Box has turned into a reliable media streamer. You get all the bells and whistles of an officially licensed Google ATV product in a nice snappy package with a really excellent remote.

Its looks like Xiaomi and AMlogic are actually providing decent Firmware support. The lack of Kodi (auto) dynamic refresh rate switching really is a PITA for those that love ultra smooth video playback. (can still switch manually). Hardware deinterlacing is still broken when using both SPMC and Kodi with TvHeadend.

WeTek Hub vs Xiaomi Mi Box - which is the better Kodi box ?

Further Hub vs Mi Box comparisons found in this link

By a nose, the LibreELEC / Android Lollipop (or unofficial Android TV OS) - WeTek Hub because of working refresh rate switching and TvHeadend deinterlacing when using Kodi for HD OTA TV. A proper GigaE port on the Hub too.
Its just a Pity the included IR remote control is rubbish.

Paid for, protected content, video streaming using proper Android TV, 4K Netflix with 5.1 Audio and Chromecasting baked in. With very easy to use, designed for TV - Apps. Then the Mi Box is the winner. Adoptable (External) Storage when using Android Marshmallow Firmware is useful to increase the limited internal storage on the Mi Box. The Mini 3.5mm Combo Headphone /SPDIF/Optical port on the Mi Box may be useful for some users too.
Android Marshmallow on the Mi Box seems at least 2X as fast as Android Lollipop running on the Hub.

I wish the Hub could have come packaged with the Mi Box's excellent Bluetooth, Voice - remote control.

W.

(2016-10-29, 07:31)wrxtasy Wrote: [*]Any 10bit HEVC (H265) content I try and play results in a green garbled mess onscreen. These 10bit HEVC clips playback fine on all other AMLogic S905 devices I have.

I had no issue playing 10-bit HEVC video with Kodi 17 Beta ?4. Yes, it is a green garbled mess with SPMC and I have pointed this out in an earlier post.

I will check on the HDCP 2.2 problem.
If I can root the Mi Box and get access to the Filesystem I know the (legal) hack / bypass for the erroneous AMLogic HDCP 2.2 implementation as I've done it on another HDCP 2.2 capable AML S905 device running Android Marshmallow.

If the Firmware was fixed, when HDCP 2.2 handshaking fails it should default to HDCP 1.x for Widewine DRM purposes.

Just checked the Kodi Krypton nightly again. Still green garbled video playback with (non HDR) 1080p 10bit HEVC content.

(2016-10-29, 08:10)wesk05 Wrote: I had no issue playing 10-bit HEVC video with Kodi 17 Beta ?4. Yes, it is a green garbled mess with SPMC and I have pointed this out in an earlier post.

Interesting. I didn't know it worked on Kodi...

PS Ah, apparently there are diverging returns on that point Smile
Here you go:

Kodi 17 Nightly (10/29) playing 10-bit HEVC (HDR) clips on my Xiaomi Mi.
Be aware I'm not testing HDR 10bit HEVC clips. Just regular 1080p 10bit HEVC all us regular minions play with. I have no HDR capable TV.

Nice to see 4K HDR 10bit HEVC playback working in Kodi Krypton on an AML device.
Are there any output HDR10 / Hz limitations like you would see on the Shield, 23.976fps as an example ?

@wesk05 Your specific sample works on SPMC as well (for me, at least), so what works and what doesn't seems more subtle...
(2016-10-29, 12:55)Koying Wrote: @wesk05 Your specific sample works on SPMC as well (for me, at least), so what works and what doesn't seems more subtle...

Koying....Will you create a version of. SPMC to work with the Mi Box meaning adding features and possibly hd audio? Thanks
(2016-10-29, 16:51)Illest Wrote:
(2016-10-29, 12:55)Koying Wrote: @wesk05 Your specific sample works on SPMC as well (for me, at least), so what works and what doesn't seems more subtle...

Koying....Will you create a version of. SPMC to work with the Mi Box meaning adding features and possibly hd audio? Thanks

How about amlogic and xiaomi first need to fix their completely broken firmware?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
That's interesting... I checked again today, not a single main10 HEVC video (1080p or 2160p) plays properly with SPMC. What is the version of SPMC that you were using?

Update: All of them play without issues on SPMC 16.4.81. It is 16.4.2 that has issues.

2nd update: 1080p main10 HEVC videos don't play properly in Kodi 17 beta or SPMC. The 1080p HEVC videos that I tested previously were actually not of main10 profile.
(2016-10-29, 12:07)wrxtasy Wrote: Are there any output HDR10 / Hz limitations like you would see on the Shield, 23.976fps as an example ?
I haven't noticed any. HDR works with all 1080/2160p refresh rates. It even works with 8-bit Rec.709 output. I think it is a faulty implementation in the current firmware.
(2016-10-29, 20:29)wesk05 Wrote:
That's interesting... I checked again today, not a single main10 HEVC video (1080p or 2160p) plays properly with SPMC. What is the version of SPMC that you were using?

Update: All of them play without issues on SPMC 16.4.81. It is 16.4.2 that has issues.
Just tried that test SPMC version 16.4.81, I get the same Green Screen garbled mess when playing main 10 HEVC (1080p) video.
Its definitely a Xiaomi Firmware problem with this AML S905X device running Android Marshmallow 6.0.1

How can I be so sure - well I have a WeTek Hub also running a test version of Marshmallow 6.0.1 and that plays all the main 10 HEVC clips that are causing the Mi Box issues - just fine. No green screens. Xiaomi need to get their Firmware sorted out on this Mi Box.

Coincidently HDCP 2.2 and my TV also have problems with this Marshmallow Firmware on the Hub, but at least I can implement a simple Software workaround with it until such time as AMLogic fix this HDCP 2.2 negotiation issue. This HDCP 2.2 problem has been reported to AMLogic, just this week.

• 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21