why smb is worst then upnp on my configuration?
Hello guys,

i have external NAS Seagate Central, where I want to keep my video files. But there is the following problem with KODI:
If I`m playing the video files from the NAS as upnp:// then everything is smooth and there is no buffering at all. When I play the same file but as smp:// then i have buffering every 2-3 minutes. I've already tried advanced setting set up, but there is still no improvement.

KODI is installed on PC, connection with the Network is with cable.

In general for me will not be a problem to play the files as upnp, but then I`m not able to see the files in the library with covers and so on...what is problem...

I`ll appreciate your help and suggestions!
I believe UPNP may offer off server-side transcoding where-as SMB is only network level access to a shared folder. Using SMB forces the client computer and or client kodi application to perform all transcoding. Without the appropriate codecs installed this can be difficult for the client system.

What kind of hardware are you running for your client HTPC?

Sent from my iPhone
Hello Kerat, thank you for your reply.
For me the PC has to be able to make the transcoding better than the Seagate Central hardware. Here is my configuration:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model GA-MA770-DS3
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+, 2500 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F7, 5.1.2009 г.
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name
Time Zone FLE Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4,00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4,00 GB
Available Physical Memory 1,88 GB
Total Virtual Memory 9,98 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2,25 GB
Page File Space 5,99 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Display Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GT 720
Adapter RAM (2 147 483 648) bytes

After the last tweaks of the advanced cache settings, the problem appears only on bigger files 1080p. What is strange to me is that I can play these files from UPNP without any problems and without having to tweak the cache settings in KODI. The download speed from the NAS is about 45+ MB/s
Have you tried to map the drive in windows and then add the drive mapping to Kodi?

Sent from my iPhone
Hello Kerat,

Yes I've tried mapping, but there is no difference mapping or SMB.
(2016-10-30, 06:05)Kerat Wrote: I believe UPNP may offer off server-side transcoding where-as SMB is only network level access to a shared folder. Using SMB forces the client computer and or client kodi application to perform all transcoding. Without the appropriate codecs installed this can be difficult for the client system.

What kind of hardware are you running for your client HTPC?

Sent from my iPhone (typie typie)
Kodi has all codecs you need built in.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-11-02, 22:12)photorobot Wrote: Hello Kerat,

Yes I've tried mapping, but there is no difference mapping or SMB.

in that case the issue is probably on your NAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
why smb is worst then upnp on my configuration?1