Show current Refresh Rate
Hello,

I have just installed "Kodi 17 Beta5" on my ubuntu system.
In the old Kodi version I could see the current refresh rate during video playback with the "o".
This was very useful checking if my custom modeline ist matching to 23.976 video content.

Now in Kodi 17 when I press "o" I can only find the source frames (23.976 fps) but not the display refresh rate.
How can I see this in Kodi 17?

regards Steo86
press ctrl shift o
(2016-11-11, 16:56)FernetMenta Wrote: press ctrl shift o

Probably won't help as it also displays the source fps and not the screen refresh rate (at least on windows so maybe it works on linux)
Moanbag is in da place!
I always ask the display to show me what resolution and refresh rate it is rendering.
This way there is no doubt what the final product I'm seeing during a setup process and/or check of a playback rip or test file actually is.
Using a Harmony remote, I mapped the 'info' button for the display and a separate keyboard stroke 'o' for codec info.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2016-11-11, 17:05)Gracus Wrote:

Probably won't help as it also displays the source fps and not the screen refresh rate (at least on windows so maybe it works on linux)

if you enable "sync playback to display" it shows display refresh rate, like v16 did
(2016-11-11, 19:05)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2016-11-11, 17:05)Gracus Wrote:

if you enable "sync playback to display" it shows display refresh rate, like v16 did

Thanks for the explanation!

Was not aware of this one as I never use "sync playback to display" (maybe I'm wrong but I find it useless as I already use "adjust refresh rate")
Moanbag is in da place!
(2016-11-11, 19:16)Gracus Wrote: Was not aware of this one as I never use "sync playback to display" (maybe I'm wrong but I find it useless as I already use "adjust refresh rate")

Display refresh rate never matches video fps by 100%. Sooner or later the difference will be at least frametime and you'll notice a slight stutter. There are also a lot of systems that do not support desired video fps: many systems can only do 24hz and not 23.976.
(2016-11-11, 19:24)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2016-11-11, 19:16)Gracus Wrote: Was not aware of this one as I never use "sync playback to display" (maybe I'm wrong but I find it useless as I already use "adjust refresh rate")

Display refresh rate never matches video fps by 100%. Sooner or later the difference will be at least frametime and you'll notice a slight stutter. There are also a lot of systems that do not support desired video fps: many systems can only do 24hz and not 23.976.

Ok so the best setup should be:

-enable "adjust refresh rate" to make the refresh rate as close as possible from the video fps
-also enable "sync playback to display" to remove the little difference that may still be there
Moanbag is in da place!
On a related note, does anyone know what happens to bitstreamed audio when sync playback to display is enabled?
It's not bitstream anymore as audio needs resampling to be synced. There used to be an option that allowed bitstream while syncing playback to display by dropping/duplicating audio packets (with possible audio glitches ofc) but that doesn't exist anymore (since 15 I think?).
(2016-11-11, 18:43)brazen1 Wrote: I always ask the display to show me what resolution and refresh rate it is rendering.
This way there is no doubt what the final product I'm seeing during a setup process and/or check of a playback rip or test file actually is.
Using a Harmony remote, I mapped the 'info' button for the display and a separate keyboard stroke 'o' for codec info.

Afaik usually the tv's/projector's info only shows what's been fed to it.
Quote:Afaik usually the tv's/projector's info only shows what's been fed to it.

When I feed a 1920x1080 to my 4k panel and check the panels info it tells me it has upscaled to render 3840x2160.
Just sayin'.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
I said usually, I don't know what every tv shows.
But the discussion is about refresh rate anyway, what does it show there?
From my sets, a samsung plasma when fed with 1080p/24 shows 1080p/24 on it's info, but I know for a fact that the actuall refresh rate is 60hz (3:2 pulldown).
I've also seen it on many many lcds that I know they don't support 24p.
My panasonic plasma also shows the same, but I know that with the frame interpolation algorithm set at off/low, it refreshes at 96hz, and at high at 60hz. Still shows 1080p/24 though. If that was true, you wouldn't be able to watch a plasma refreshing at 24hz, the blinking would be unbearable.
I believe that what kodi shows at VSync (visible when sync playback to display is enabled) is just the communication frequency between gpu-tv.
What the tv does afterwards to the final refresh rate of the panel, is beyond the player's capabilities to aknowledge.
I think we are looking at solving the OP's question.

Quote:I can only find the source frames (23.976 fps) but not the display refresh rate.

I don't think the codec info in Kodi should be relied on entirely. I think that's why things were omitted in the 1st place, but I could be wrong.

I find using a combination of the Kodi codec info window AND the display info overlay useful during software setup for hardware. Also the info for, AVR, GPU, player, and display.
Furthermore, Nvidia in particular, you will be able to see exactly what settings are available during certain playback and those that are not making this an 'info' in itself.
This way I know exactly what I am putting in and what I am putting out and how to adjust each software accordingly.

There are many, many valuable test titles in the wiki. Everything from HDR, 3D, 10 bit, 60Hz, 4k, etc.
If you are playing these, and your info overlays tell you something other than what these titles ACTUALLY are, you have some work to do.
By using all the info from all the sources it should help nail down any problem(s), common during new setups or changes to existing ones.

The OP found info for the source. He's asking for the display. Perhaps he too is checking his system? I suggest 1st use the wiki's test files so you know exactly what your source is. Confirm it using mediainfo. Make triple sure with Kodi codec info and for those quick limited reference times. Then check your display info window against your displays capabilities. Then check your GPU software which should change automatically to match various titles and can be tailored. On the subject of refresh rate, I encourage folks to use the match refresh rate setting on any player including Kodi. If your title was mastered in 60 or 23.976 wouldn't you want to match that during playback to avoid a multitude of problems let alone the over processing? Not to mention other much more complex settings handshaking throughout your system.

Point being, even if the codec info window showed everything one could dream of, I would still rely on all the other info sources as well.

If none of this applies to you, as I stated earlier, press the info button on your display to see what it is rendering although I have no idea why you would even be looking at this point.
As far as plasma pulldown workarounds or 240Hz interpolation in my case, you will never see post processing display in any info window anywhere afaik.

Hope this helps you and perhaps others.

Yet another methodology lesson. I think OP's got that covered.
OP is seeking specific information (display refresh rate) in kodi's codec info screen. I'm just saying that that info was never there, it's not the panel refresh rate that is displayed, nor it is on TV's info as you suggested.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Show current Refresh Rate0