Build on windows 7 then transfer to android box
This is a total newbie question I'm sure, but here goes.

I wondered if in install kodi on my computer to work on creating a build, can I then transfer it to my android smart tv box and everything still work the same, or do I need to create it on the box itself?

thanks in advance.

I'm sure I'll have more in depth questions in the future...

Douglas
Configure Kodi on Windows as you want it then run http://kodi.wiki/view/add-on:backup

Install on Android then restore from the backup you made.

We don't support custom user "builds" here.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
Thank you for that response...

I guess the means I'm not supposed to come here to ask questions.

Have a great day.
(2016-11-13, 16:51)Showman13 Wrote: Thank you for that response...

I guess the means I'm not supposed to come here to ask questions.

Have a great day.

Not at all.

You asked and were provided with a possible solution to transferring your Kodi configuration from one device to another. I was just making to clear that certain methods you may have heard of from places other than this forum are not recommended or support that's all.

Good luck.
I'm pretty confused by this tbh.
Transferring an install manually from one os to another has been discussed here before without a problem.
What's the issue?
The 'b' word?
(2016-11-13, 16:59)trogggy Wrote: I'm pretty confused by this tbh.
Transferring an install manually from one os to another has been discussed here before without a problem.
What's the issue?
The 'b' word?

Just a clarification for a new user.

The most simplistic method of duplicating configurations for the novice is to use the backup add-on.
I'm not sure he felt the love tbh.
The word 'build' confers the idea that you have worked to put Kodi together; (instead of just hit the install), which is in itself a slight on the team and the thousands of lines of code and efforts by so many, (their sensitivity is more than understandable); not to mention the perversion of this code that is starting to pervade web with illegal modifications which is casting a heavy shadow on support efforts and calling it a 'build'.

Installing a few extras to a Kodi installation is not in any way to be construed as 'coding' or 'a build', if you've taken the effort to compile Kodi from source code, then call it what it is, a 'compile from source'.
(2016-11-13, 17:45)PatK Wrote: The word 'build' confers the idea that you have worked to put Kodi together; (instead of just hit the install), which is in itself a slight on the team and the thousands of lines of code and efforts by so many, (their sensitivity is more than understandable); not to mention the perversion of this code that is starting to pervade web with illegal modifications which is casting a heavy shadow on support efforts and calling it a 'build'.

Installing a few extras to a Kodi installation is not in any way to be construed as 'coding' or 'a build', if you've taken the effort to compile Kodi from source code, then call it what it is, a 'compile from source'.
Doesn't to me - but then I was using it before 'builds' became available on other websites.
If someone says they're a builder would you get snippy when they explain that they really only do extensions or repairs? If someone says they're having the builders in next weekend do you ask where the new house is being put?
Anyway unless you come up with a better word for the finished product when someone's installed kodi, installed addons, customized their skin etc 'build' will continue to be the most obvious choice.
Suggestions for suitable noun welcome.

Edit:thinking about this - a builder doesn't design the house. A builder sticks stuff together whilst swearing at the bloody architects.
I'm just as guilty as most others, but lately with many support questions from users that have installed, wizards, ultimate pack and build. The word 'customized' or 'custom' does seem a bit more appropriate to the sensitivity of late.
They're not nouns.
I can't talk about my 'kodi customized' without gagging slightly - the result of spending a few years teaching English probably.
'Kodi' is kodi.
Team Kodi are the architects.
I'm the guy with the stubble, calluses, power tools and a big tube of mastic* trying to make it work and fit exactly as I want.

*All this is literally true.
(2016-11-13, 09:48)Dangelus Wrote: Configure Kodi on Windows as you want it then run http://kodi.wiki/view/add-on:backup

Install on Android then restore from the backup you made.

We don't support custom user "builds" here.

thanks for the tips. I tried hard to build my own, lol
One thing to be aware of across OS's is file/folder structure (namings and locations). The drive set-up for each tends to be very different, so what is OK for one will not be valid for another.

So in almost every case you will have to do some "tweaking" anyway on the destination, even if you are using the backup/restore method. And as it's inherent to the OS that Kodi is running on, there's not much that can be done about it other than manually amending things once the transfer is done.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-11-15, 11:54)DarrenHill Wrote: One thing to be aware of across OS's is file/folder structure (namings and locations). The drive set-up for each tends to be very different, so what is OK for one will not be valid for another.

So in almost every case you will have to do some "tweaking" anyway on the destination, even if you are using the backup/restore method. And as it's inherent to the OS that Kodi is running on, there's not much that can be done about it other than manually amending things once the transfer is done.

Exactly. Very good points.

This is why I can never understand why people want to know how to "build" custom Kodi installs usually stating they are wanting to replicate them for a couple of devices for themselves or family members. It's a lot more work than is necessary. Set up on one device, backup, then restore on new device and tweak. Much easier.

The ONLY people that it should make sense to create these custom builds are those turning it into a mass producing cottage industry to make a quick buck, which is why we discourage that method here.
(2016-11-15, 12:29)Dangelus Wrote: This is why I can never understand why people want to know how to "build" custom Kodi installs usually stating they are wanting to replicate them for a couple of devices for themselves or family members. It's a lot more work than is necessary. Set up on one device, backup, then restore on new device and tweak. Much easier.

The ONLY people that it should make sense to create these custom builds are those turning it into a mass producing cottage industry to make a quick buck, which is why we discourage that method here.
Yeah, wanting to know how to do stuff. very dodgy.
My reasons:
Because I want to see what's possible.
Because I can.
Because I enjoy the process.
Because I've learned about the software in the process.
Because once you figure out how to do it efficiently it's massively faster than starting from scratch if you have anything but a very simple build installation.
Because I've tried the backup option and been dissatisfied with the result.
Because it's a free world, and not everybody has the same views / ideas.

Still wondering when this became 'discouraged' here.
I've explained the process in the past - including the fact that it's a complete ballache the first time you do it - and probably guided some / put others off - their choice, isn't it?
And those guys who hacked the xbox - what a waste of time, should have bought a dvr. As for Team Kodi - have they never heard of VLC? There's a perfectly good playback solution there, what a waste of time just to get pretty pictures on the screen.
Easier? Sure. The first time. But much less elegant.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Build on windows 7 then transfer to android box0