• 16(current)
Req SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC
Is Kodi currently capable of .DSF playback with DSD output over HDMI?

When I tried this, it converted to PCM output. My AVR is DSD capable.

It has maybe been added in a more recent version though?

Cheers,
(2016-05-11, 21:06)bazza88 Wrote: Is Kodi currently capable of .DSF playback with DSD output over HDMI?

Cheers,

No driver / hardware support for pure DSD. Kodi can do Stereo or 5.1 decode to PCM though
No - due to Copy Protection... I have a SACD Player for these some Discs - sorry to say, its not worth it to get dem ripped, and prepared to have them in Kodi.
I've done a lot of tests, with DSF/DFF Files - and the Difference to a HiRes Version of the CD (like 96/192 kHz) is so marginal.... you probably won0t hear it.

So - its not, and due to Copy Protection and missing Hardware will never be running on Kodi.

(2016-05-11, 21:06)bazza88 Wrote: Is Kodi currently capable of .DSF playback with DSD output over HDMI?

Cheers,
My Equipment:
HTPC (i7-8700K 3.7 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) Windows 10 with Kodi 18.6 & Central SQL DB (Maria DB)
AVR Emotiva RMC-1 & AMP Emotiva XPA9-Gen3, TV LG OLED 65 E6, BD oppo UDP-203, Speaker Revel Performa3 F208 / F206 / C208 / Nubert WS-14 for Atmos/DTS.x)
NAS Synology DS1817+ / DX-517/DX513 (4x8 TB RAID5 + 2 x 5x6TB in RAID5)
OK thanks.

Other applications seem to be compatible though such as Volumio, JRiver Media Center and MPD according to other user experience.

Therefore if you have compatible hardware such as an AVR to pass the audio through, should it not be possible?

Cheers,
Sorry for the cross-post, however my DSF files aren't being detected and they follow the same folder/file/tag scheme of my other detected audio files. Any help? Thank you.
(2016-05-13, 05:45)okdi Wrote: Sorry for the cross-post, however my DSF files aren't being detected and they follow the same folder/file/tag scheme of my other detected audio files. Any help? Thank you.

When I played them, I did not scan them into a library, it was just directly via the file browser to an NFS share.

The .DFS files were converted to PCM over HDMI to my AVR.
Hi,

I am confused right now... I see that already a Kodi 14 beta added "support" for playing SACD / DSF files, and am running Kodi 17 right now.

I can select and play my DSF files, but it still seems to send 44.1kHz 16 bit data to my DAC?

What does kodi currently support regarding DSD / DSF file replay?
Does it always recode to PCM, or is there a possibility to pass the DSD stream to my DAC?
If not, is there any ongoing effort to add such support, or do you need people to start working on it (me perhaps)?

Regards, Kenneth
it decodes to 352/384kHz PCM and then it's up to the sink. there is no passthrough support.
(2016-11-19, 15:49)endian Wrote: Hi,

I am confused right now... I see that already a Kodi 14 beta added "support" for playing SACD / DSF files, and am running Kodi 17 right now.

I can select and play my DSF files, but it still seems to send 44.1kHz 16 bit data to my DAC?

What does kodi currently support regarding DSD / DSF file replay?
Does it always recode to PCM, or is there a possibility to pass the DSD stream to my DAC?
If not, is there any ongoing effort to add such support, or do you need people to start working on it (me perhaps)?

Regards, Kenneth

It's depending, on the basic sound settings you have.
I use WASAPI HDMI on my windows based kodi für Audio Settings - then its send with the maximum your soundcard and AVR is supporting.
For Stereo its up tp 192 kHz for 5.1 up to 96kHz on my system.
My Equipment:
HTPC (i7-8700K 3.7 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) Windows 10 with Kodi 18.6 & Central SQL DB (Maria DB)
AVR Emotiva RMC-1 & AMP Emotiva XPA9-Gen3, TV LG OLED 65 E6, BD oppo UDP-203, Speaker Revel Performa3 F208 / F206 / C208 / Nubert WS-14 for Atmos/DTS.x)
NAS Synology DS1817+ / DX-517/DX513 (4x8 TB RAID5 + 2 x 5x6TB in RAID5)
No any news about sacd iso playback with kodi?
(2016-11-19, 16:41)A-Swiss Wrote: It's depending, on the basic sound settings you have.
I use WASAPI HDMI on my windows based kodi für Audio Settings - then its send with the maximum your soundcard and AVR is supporting.
For Stereo its up tp 192 kHz for 5.1 up to 96kHz on my system.

I am using a raspberry pi running LibreElec, and have connected a DSD capable DAC (dsd over pcm) using USB.

If i select a dsd File from kodi it may play, but only as a pcm file, but if i try running RuneAudio, i can get the DAC to get indo the DSD64 mode. My files are in .dsf format.

My DAC is a Matrix Mini-i Pro 2.

So, are there plans to add support for output of dsd over pcm in kodi?

Regards, Kenneth
Nice to see that there is development on the SACD.ISO playback part
I think it would be really great if KODI could playback SACD.ISO's because then also Audiophiles
will see KODI as an excellent tool to listen to high resolution audio.

But I think two things are important and has to be clear:
(this way I hope to get the complex matter more clear for the developers that are working on this case)

First of all: to playback SACD.ISO's you need an external USB DAC that is compatible with DSD.
(otherwise you will need DoP if you are using a PCM only DAC)
So KODI have to doesn't have to do the decoding of the SACD.ISO material it self, it only has to read it, understand it, and
transport the data (untouched) to the DAC.
The DAC will handle the decoding.

Second: most modern DAC's are compatible with "USB Audio Class V2.0"
All DAC's that are compatible with this protocol will be seen as "external audio devices" by the operating system
and this is very good because the audio data will be transported directly from the PC to the DAC
So the operating system is not interfering with this process at all, all audio data will be untouched transported
to the DAC.
KODI doesn't have to do the actual decoding of the SACD.ISO or DSD data stream itself, the DAC will do this

I hope the above info can help the KODI developers, don't try to create an SACD.ISO software decoder or something
only control the SACD.ISO files, and let other protocol's and DAC do their work
they are made for this.

I hope to install KODI one day on my Audio streamer, this would be awesome!
I totally agree.
can I ask you about HDMI ?
because my home cinema (onkyo tx-nr5009) support DSD decoding but do not have an USB input.
Is the DSD untouched stream can be transported through HDMI and decoded by my home cinema ?
I never be able to use it. I will be very happy if I can.
(2017-03-21, 12:01)jaoued Wrote: I totally agree.
can I ask you about HDMI ?
because my home cinema (onkyo tx-nr5009) support DSD decoding but do not have an USB input.
Is the DSD untouched stream can be transported through HDMI and decoded by my home cinema ?
I never be able to use it. I will be very happy if I can.

That's a nice receiver!
I think you should make two tests

Test one to make sure that your receiver is capable of playing SACD (DSD) native
You can do this, like this:
According to your manual you have two USB ports, one on the front under the lid
and one on the back, so you could try to connect an USB harddisk with some test audio files on it
(SACD.ISO or DFF format) and see if you can play them with your receiver build-in audio player.
Or you place the audio test files on your NAS and connect your receiver with an RJ-45 network cable
to your network, and then try to playback the DFF, DSD, SACD.ISO files
good luck!

Test two would be to see if it possible to connect your receiver to your KODI computer
so that you can control the music with your KODI right?
(assuming that KODI will support SACD.ISO and DFF streaming over USB)
Ideally: your KODI computer should be connected with USB to your receiver,
If your KODI computer could see your receiver as an (external) digital playback device that would be great...!
But I'm affraid that your receiver sees the USB connections as DATA connectors for external harddisks
and not as "communication ports" for connecting other digital devices....
But there is only one way to find out and that is to try it.

Technically it's possible to send high-resolution audio over HDMI
But then your streamer should have an "UAC v2" compatible operating system (like Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and up) or Mac OS
with an "pci-e hdmi audio output interface card" but I don't know if these card exists (or work)

Try first if your receiver can stream DSD material from it's own internal playback function.
and then if your OS with KOLAB can be connected with USB to see if the OS sees your receiver as an "external DAC" (UAC)
That would the best

Success with testing!
I would like to add my vote for adding SACD ISO playback support. The biggest advantage (in my opinion) of SACD's over regular CD's is the multi-channel (surround) tracks available on some SACD's. If done properly, they sound amazing compared to the stereo CD tracks. I have been using Foobar2000 for the past few years just for SACD ISO playback.
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SACD/DSDIFF playback in XBMC5