• 64(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2016-11-17, 10:52)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-11-17, 10:31)Lucas Rey Wrote: Matt Devo & hdmkv thanks both for reply,
I'm checking the Kabi Lake 7h gen devices, MSI Cubi2 and GIGABYTE BRIX should be already available on market, I have only to add an IR adapter to use my Harmony Remote. I also understand that Intel HD Graphics 620 is able to handle 3D without problem (am I right?).

What is not clear for me is if this Kodi fork:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=266316
I can play FULL 3D ISO without using external player (as I wrote I'm currently using ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre but is not properly confortable since my remote is not able to handle all commands (just play, pause, stop...)

correct - no external player is used/needed

WOW! That's a very good news Nod
Now, I have only to choose the media box. Reading the various thread I believe I'll choose the Brix GB-BKi3HA-7100. I'm just wondering/searching if there is a version with CIR, because I'm not properly sure if using an USB Universal Remote Control Receiver (like FLIRC FL-09028) it will be able to wake up Windows from Ibernation using my Harmony remote. Maybe is better to post in the related thead asking for info.
Hello. I practically subscribed to thank you for opening my eyes. I bought a Beelink GT1 TV box knowing what I am getting myself into. I really, really need Netflix and HBO Go running at fullHD (besides 4K video playback and H264/H265 HW decoding). I was also thinking about setting up a NAS by using an oDroid XU4, but this box could also replace the XU4.

Is the Himedia Q10 Pro really that good with Netflix/HBO and all others streaming apps? I could buy one today for Black Friday at a very good price, but I want to know for sure that streaming apps work as they should? Thank you for helping us to not throw out money away. I do not regret buying the GT1, I can sell it and recover my money.
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
Question did you read Post #1 of this very thread, if you did then you would have seen this:

Q. I need a Kodi box that can play 720/1080p or 4K DRM copy protected video streams such as Netflix, HBO etc. ?
  • nVIDIA Shield (4K + HDR)
  • Xiaomi Mi Box (4K + HDR)
  • Amazon Stick/FTV1 + FTV2 (4K)
  • Intel machines running Win10, using either dedicated Apps or a Web Browser (Eg. Amazon Prime), very likely other OS's as well.
  • WeTek's Core , Hub, Play2 (audio is 2.0 only, unless you use this ROM on the Play2)
  • Apple TV4
For what you need just buy a nVIDIA Shield. I would not be buying a Q5/10 Pro.
The cheap option is the Xiaomi Mi Box, and then you have to use a slight workaround to play 720/1080p HEVC

It was not so clear, but I cooled myself down and I understood it does not have HD streaming from those apps. Unfortunately, the nVIDIA Shield cannot be found online anywhere or at very high prices from questionable stores (in Romania). I will use my TV for Netflix/HBO Go as before and use the Q10 Pro as a a media player for anything else (and as a NAS/torrent downloader).
Gadget enthusiast
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
ok, another question Wink

I currently have a couple of rpi and odroid C2, but I'd now like to have a user-friendly android box to get both kodi/spmc and motolotv.tv, a new free and public French online television service.

It seems Nvidia shield TV is a good (and the only one) candidate, but maybe i'm wrong.
  • User-friendly
  • Android only (no dual boot)
  • Silent: shield TV has a fan, but inaudible at 15 cm according to reviews
  • Logitech Harmony supported: need some custom remapped buttons (i.e channelUp and channelDown for delaying subtitle + or -)
  • Auto refresh rate
  • Audio 2.0 output only (boost center channel as in kodi rpi buils would be gret)
  • h264 and h265 @1080p
  • interlaced mpeg2 and h264 (french broadcast)
(2016-11-13, 20:30)wrxtasy Wrote: You can side load a (Sony TV) Amazon (Prime) Instant Video App for HD playback and 5.1 Audio to cover that too.

I tried that as detailed in this guide and it installs correctly and everything but it hangs on the startup page and the browse UI never materializes. I'm wondering if this apk is perhaps not compatible with the latest Shield firmware (v 3.3 which auto-installed when I first booted up). Any insight into this, anyone else run into it and perhaps found a solution?
*new user here, please be kind*

I have trawled through many threads and forums. This one seems the most relevant.

I have an aged WDTV box working as I want, but it's in dire need of a rocket, a new GUI, 4K and H265 etc. I've seen the delights of Kodi and need them!

I want to be able to play my movies/films from my NAS (mkv files) through to my Marantz amp. I am very picky with sound. I want to be able to 'pass through' direct unaltered HD audio to my amp from whatever media server will work need. DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos etc.

I have tried 2 of the huge away of Android TV boxes. No joy. Every setting imaginable with your help isn't working.

I can play a non HD audio film fine, the amp reacts as expected and the film plays. I choose a HD audio / 4K film and the audio screeches loud static and the video becomes jumpy or the Kodi application crashes out of the app.

What's the best solution for me? What boxes are definitely going to work? There's only a certain amount of media boxes I can stack up.

Help!
(2016-11-21, 22:51)texwatson Wrote: *new user here, please be kind*

I have trawled through many threads and forums. This one seems the most relevant.

I have an aged WDTV box working as I want, but it's in dire need of a rocket, a new GUI, 4K and H265 etc. I've seen the delights of Kodi and need them!

I want to be able to play my movies/films from my NAS (mkv files) through to my Marantz amp. I am very picky with sound. I want to be able to 'pass through' direct unaltered HD audio to my amp from whatever media server will work need. DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos etc.

I have tried 2 of the huge away of Android TV boxes. No joy. Every setting imaginable with your help isn't working.

I can play a non HD audio film fine, the amp reacts as expected and the film plays. I choose a HD audio / 4K film and the audio screeches loud static and the video becomes jumpy or the Kodi application crashes out of the app.

What's the best solution for me? What boxes are definitely going to work? There's only a certain amount of media boxes I can stack up.

Help!

What have you tried so far? Have you tried the Shield? I'm really impressed with it s far, it eliminated all the issues I was having...though in my scenario i just need 1080/5.1 since this is a simple bedroom setup not a main home theater room setup. But it's supposed to do what you need I think?
(2016-11-21, 22:51)texwatson Wrote: I have tried 2 of the huge away of Android TV boxes. No joy. Every setting imaginable with your help isn't working.
You need to run LibreELEC Kodi on any AMLogic S905 Android boxes you (probably) already have if you want comprehensive 4K Video and HD Audio support.
LibreELEC craps all over rubbish Android 5.1.1/6.0 Firmware on these cheap, unsupported Android devices.

If you have AMLogic devices - the guys over on the LibreELEC forums can probably help you out getting your existing devices running:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/forum-38.html

(2016-11-17, 14:24)tmihai20 Wrote: It was not so clear, but I cooled myself down and I understood it does not have HD streaming from those apps. Unfortunately, the nVIDIA Shield cannot be found online anywhere or at very high prices from questionable stores (in Romania). I will use my TV for Netflix/HBO Go as before and use the Q10 Pro as a a media player for anything else (and as a NAS/torrent downloader).
Amazon.fr and Amazon.co.uk currently have stock of nVIDIA Shield hardware.

@wrxtasy: Amazon UK does not deliver to Romania, Amazon France does deliver, but it would be 78 euros more than I paid for the Q10 Pro that I chose over the Beelink. Even the nVidia Shield TV would not be 100% suited for me, because I want to use it as a seedbox. If I get HBO Go to run on my Q10 Pro (which it does not, although it did on the Beelink GT1, surprisingly), then I can consider myself satisfied (I managed to get Netflix to run on my Q10 Pro). Thanks anyway.
Gadget enthusiast
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
Alright guys, so I'm a bit hesitant in buying the NVIDIA SHIELD. I can't find it on stock anywhere I live (Norway), but I can buy the Apple TV? Not sure which of these TV boxes to get honestly. Should I wait for the NVIDIA SHIELD to come in stock or just get the Apple TV? Need the best Android TV box for family use.
(2016-11-22, 09:58)tmihai20 Wrote: @wrxtasy: Amazon UK does not deliver to Romania, Amazon France does deliver, but it would be 78 euros more than I paid for the Q10 Pro that I chose over the Beelink. Even the nVidia Shield TV would not be 100% suited for me, because I want to use it as a seedbox. If I get HBO Go to run on my Q10 Pro (which it does not, although it did on the Beelink GT1, surprisingly), then I can consider myself satisfied (I managed to get Netflix to run on my Q10 Pro). Thanks anyway.

Well, in Romania HBO Go is SD quality. Of course it's better than other (illegal) streaming services but it's nothing to write home.
Netflix on Q10 pro is also SD quality.
But of course, I wouldn't use Shield as a seedbox.
I also looked for Shield in Romania (only a nonofficial reseller with big prices). I would't buy one now, there are rumors that it will have a hardware refresh.
(2016-11-22, 12:38)hansolo Wrote:
(2016-11-22, 09:58)tmihai20 Wrote: @wrxtasy: Amazon UK does not deliver to Romania, Amazon France does deliver, but it would be 78 euros more than I paid for the Q10 Pro that I chose over the Beelink. Even the nVidia Shield TV would not be 100% suited for me, because I want to use it as a seedbox. If I get HBO Go to run on my Q10 Pro (which it does not, although it did on the Beelink GT1, surprisingly), then I can consider myself satisfied (I managed to get Netflix to run on my Q10 Pro). Thanks anyway.

Well, in Romania HBO Go is SD quality. Of course it's better than other (illegal) streaming services but it's nothing to write home.
Netflix on Q10 pro is also SD quality.
But of course, I wouldn't use Shield as a seedbox.
I also looked for Shield in Romania (only a nonofficial reseller with big prices). I would't buy one now, there are rumors that it will have a hardware refresh.

Well, I beg to differ. I use HBO GO on my non-webOS LG smart TV and it is at least HD (I used the wired network). I have the 10 euro plan for Netflix and it is also running in HD at least. A good 720p stream in Netflix or HBO Go at a high bitrate is better than a 1080p at a lower bitrate. I could see the drop in quality with these Android TV boxes, but it is good enough for me. Even the nVidia Shield TV has limitations, you still have to sideload some apps (HBO Go included). I would be royally pissed to sideload HBO Go and to notice that it is not working just as it does not work on the Q10 Pro with Lollipop.
Gadget enthusiast
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
(2016-11-14, 04:09)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-11-13, 23:18)hoppel118 Wrote: 2. Amazon 1080p 5.1
= Amazon Stick v.2 or Fire TV2 or nVIDIA Shield. Amazon App has to be sideloaded on to the Shield and 5.1 Audio on Shield - only if an AVR connected.
Hub / Play2 will not do Amazon (Prime) Instant Video in 720/1080p.

Quote:3. Kodi - jidderfree mkv movies (mpeg2/h264) in 1080p with automatic frame rate switching to 24(23,976)/50/60Hz and 5.1 HD Audio passthrough (Dolby/DTS)
Unsure about the judder free on the Amazon Fire TV2. Either ask in the Amazon FireTV2 Hardware thread (if you find it) or see the MrMC links in Post #1

There is a LOT of up to date detail in Post #1 & Post#2 of this thread about the Shield and Amazon FireTV2 and limitations

Quote:4. Kodi - jidderfree VDR liveTV (mpeg2/h264) in max 1080i 50Hz 5.1
Amazon FireTV2 not recommended for Live TV. I don't even think it can even do Hardware deinterlacing, and if that is that case. Interlaced HD H264 TV will not work.

You don't need to spend a fortune for Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. Just get a Amazon Stick v.2. if you have a device that covers Audio and Video playback of everything else.

Jidderfree live tv is a must! I will check the shield. Sadly no dual boot with the shield...

Thanks @wrxtasy

Greetings Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
  • 64(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28