• 124(current)
Win Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
(2016-11-22, 21:18)Lucas Rey Wrote:
(2016-11-22, 21:14)fmedrano1977 Wrote:
(2016-11-22, 21:10)Lucas Rey Wrote: And you've absolutely right... Got my new TV and 3D works perfect using Kodi, and finally I can choose "Hardware" on the right place!! Thank you Caramba... BeeBox is perfect!! Nod
You don't have a receiver?

Nope, BeeBox is directly connected to my LG 65EG960V using HDMI 1.4
Man.... I'd lose lossless audio of I did that.

Sent from my HTC 10
(2016-11-22, 21:20)fmedrano1977 Wrote:
(2016-11-22, 21:18)Lucas Rey Wrote:
(2016-11-22, 21:14)fmedrano1977 Wrote: You don't have a receiver?

Nope, BeeBox is directly connected to my LG 65EG960V using HDMI 1.4

Just try it, so you can test 3D and blame the receiver for your issue! Wink
(2016-11-22, 21:54)Lucas Rey Wrote:
(2016-11-22, 21:20)fmedrano1977 Wrote:
(2016-11-22, 21:18)Lucas Rey Wrote: Nope, BeeBox is directly connected to my LG 65EG960V using HDMI 1.4

Just try it, so you can test 3D and blame the receiver for your issue! Wink
That's going to suck, I just upgraded the damn thing. It worked for me on a cheaper Windows 10 mini pc through replaced Onkyo receiver.

Sent from my HTC 10
What receiver do you have?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2016-11-22, 22:05)movie78 Wrote: What receiver do you have?
Denon x2300w

Sent from my HTC 10
(2016-11-22, 19:45)chocco Wrote: Just on the off chance....is there any advantage to using PowerDVD 16 Ultra (currently on Black Friday sale) over the internal Kodi player? Kodi plays everything at passthrough quality now, doesn't it? Anyone prefer PowerDVD? Thanks!

I couldn't get PowerDVD to do Atmos or DTS:X inside a MKV, so it doesn't work for me.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2016-11-22, 22:38)fmedrano1977 Wrote:
(2016-11-22, 22:05)movie78 Wrote: What receiver do you have?
Denon x2300w

Sent from my HTC 10

That is this year model, I can't believe you are having with it, have something similar from their sister company Marantz and I haven't got a chance to set it up yet.Tongue
So I can't help, time to invest in a Kaby Lake box again was waiting for Intel NUC line but doesn't seem to be coming out anytime soon.
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
Hi,

I use this Kodi MVC Version on some hardware which is not in the recommended hardware list. Who wants to know about to keep the list up to date.
What information do we need?

Thank you.
(2016-11-22, 23:09)timstephens24 Wrote:
(2016-11-22, 19:45)chocco Wrote: Just on the off chance....is there any advantage to using PowerDVD 16 Ultra (currently on Black Friday sale) over the internal Kodi player? Kodi plays everything at passthrough quality now, doesn't it? Anyone prefer PowerDVD? Thanks!

I couldn't get PowerDVD to do Atmos or DTS:X inside a MKV, so it doesn't work for me.

@timstephens24
I use PDVD. I've had no problem decoding Atmos or DTS:X with any containers I've tried, iso and mkv.
I'm not using this forked build though. I'm using a windows v.17 nightly. So it might not be relative.

I'd like to use this build again but after extensive tries it doesn't go into MVC like PDVD does. It goes into TAB.
But, I'm using Nvidia on my Intel system. It used to work until I changed my display from 1080 to 4k.
Changing my resolution globally in windows and/or Kodi GUI to 1080 instead of 2160 makes no difference nor did multiple other tries at various other setting changes.
It still switches to TAB. PDVD still switches to MVC properly.

I would think this build, using the internal player, is preferred since it negates the need for an external player, if you're able to get it working depending on your hardware.
Of course it's going to work for the users here. This is an NUC thread and the device this fork is designed for.
This build hardware decodes (only with the proper hardware/platform of course) and many claim it is advantages over software decoding.
I would like to know why?

@chocco
You ask is there any advantage using PDVD instead of this builds player?

Well, if you rip your entire BD, you get the menus and full use of the entire BD. You don't have to sacrifice anything to conform with PDVD's player.
If you consider the entire BD a waste of time and space, you will have to edit the BD to exactly what you want and don't want and PDVD is of no use to you in this respect.
This may lead to subtitle problems. Or theatrical vs. directors cut. Perhaps you want to listen in Atmos now but you ripped DTS HDMA previously? Maybe you ripped with compression and now you upgraded to 4k or acquired a stronger device that handles higher bitrates? Many confusions. Having the entire Blu-ray mounted and choosing seems wisest to me. The disc is also backed up in it's entirety.
PDVD is fully developed and problem free. Switching from 1080 to 4k is painless. It just works, and everything works as it should, audio and video. It's also an extra expense and requires minor integration to seamlessly use with Kodi. It also takes a few seconds longer to mount.

Setting aside what 'I' consider minor differences, most that can be overcome (size, noise, ease of use, problematic, support, cost, features, dependencies, spectrums, installation, upgrades, repairs, etc) at the end of the day I'm more interested in what I see and hear. I understand what I consider minor may be major to others.
So, if you have all the various resources at hand and want to make a decision which to use or is one better than the other, I think the real question would be:
'Is the end result quality of the audio and/or video different using hardware vs. software decoding?'
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
PowerDVD is cumbersome and a pain, and there's a lot of annoyances. I did get DTS:X working, but Atmos still will pass as LPCM and not Atmos to my receiver. There are issues with this build as well, but it works way better than the cumbersome approach for PowerDVD as an external player. That's just my opinion, and @brazen1 has his own. If you want to try out the PowerDVD method, he has a good guide written up for it.
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Since @afedchin release his MVC build, I haven't look back ,(PowerDVD) was a pain to set up and even if it was setup properly still wasn't good.
I'm not supporting PDVD over this build. I wish I could use this build instead of PDVD. In all fairness, 2 of you have replied:

"PDVD is cumbersome and a pain and there's lots of annoyances"
That's a bold statement without explaining anything?
What exactly do you mean? You don't have to go into detail. Generally speaking, what's so cumbersome, painful, and annoying?

"but it works way better than the cumbersome approach for PowerDVD as an external player"
What exactly works better?

"(PowerDVD) was a pain to set up and even if it was setup properly still wasn't good"
Another bold statement with no explanation.
Same question: Exactly what is a pain to setup and what wasn't good?

As for using PDVD seamlessly with Kodi, you create a playercorefactory.xml, copy and paste the code and you're done. I think I could do it in under 20 seconds.

Look, I like you guys and before this turns into some kind of petty argument keep in mind, this is a discussion board where we help each other. The OP asked a question. I answered it fairly. I also made it apparent I don't have the problems you have with your Atmos and such and it is definitely not a problem with PDVD as you made it appear. When I read your replies, it's as if you want to sum up my observations and opinions as a waste of read since you already tried PDVD and for whatever reasons (we wouldn't know, you didn't say) PDVD should be out of the question for anyone considering it.

Let's just leave it at, they are both good ways to render 3D MVC and each has it's advantages and disadvantages.
If anyone really, truly has problems with PDVD, I'm no expert but it works flawless for me, I'd be happy to try and help you.

I was hoping you might help me to use this build again now that I've upgraded and I can't anymore. I also asked a basic question about software vs. hardware quality.
That's what I'd really like to discuss if you guys or anyone else is so inclined.

The more I think about it, this is the wrong thread. Fuggetaboutit. Think what you want.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2016-11-23, 21:48)timstephens24 Wrote: That's just my opinion, and @brazen1 has his own. If you want to try out the PowerDVD method, he has a good guide written up for it.
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Hi again,

I´m very confused about this hardware list. What exaxtly does this hardware list say?

The goal is, to get FULL-HD 3D on FULL-HD 3D TV with HDMI 1.4 as the same as Bluray 3D. NO half-SBS oder half-TOP/BOTTOM? Right?

Please correct me if I´m wrong, but MVC is the way the frames are stored in a file. So you need a software or hardware which can decode this stream
and output two FULL-HD streams to the graphics driver. The driver takes these two streams and send it to the display. The way the driver handles this
is called frame packing (two 1080p picture over/under with a 45 pix gap between). And this is the only way to send FULL-HD 3D to a display
with HDMI 1.4 (1920 x 2205 Pixel, 24p).

So MVC has nothing to do with frame packing. It is NOT the same.

This special Kodi version is the software decoder for the MVC stream? In this case no special hardware required.
The special hardware ist only required for doing the frame packing. And this is for NVIDIA 3D Vision, H3D3 at AMD
and InTru3D at Intel. And then you can choose "hardware-based" in Kodi when you start a 3D-ISO oder MVC-MKV file.

An now my confusion about this list. What does this list say?
Because there are Celeron J1800 & J1900% N2820 on it and this CPUs are definitly NOT capable of InTru3D.
So no frame packing output over HDMI and NO FULL-HD 3D.
http://ark.intel.com/products/78866/Inte...o-2_58-GHz
http://ark.intel.com/products/79052/Inte...o-2_39-GHz

Intel InTru3D only available at all i3/i5/i7 and on skylake-s celerons.

Even the newest Apollo Lake celerons are NOT capable of InTru3D.
http://ark.intel.com/products/95594/Inte...Hz?q=j3455

Please tell me, if I´m wrong with my thinking.
Yes, the goal is to get full HD 3D, with MVC decoding and framepacking output. Capable Intel h/w, like those listed in the spreadsheet in post #1 (including Celeron J1800, J1900 and N2820/30) are capable.

I don't know about InTru3D, but the Intel h/w we're talking about (must be Intel CPU and integrated Intel HD Graphics) allow you to enable 3D in display settings like so...

Then, Kodi, only via the special builds by @afedchin (linked to in post #1) allow you to take advantage...

[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
  • 124(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback10