• 37(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
Hello everyone!

First post here and i have read the hole thread a couple of times :-)

So i decided to buy one, and since i dont live in the US (Sweden) i bought from here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product...3.1.30dlCg

I hope it´s the right one!? Quite good price also 73usd.

The only downside is if theres a problem with it..

Great Forum bye the way
I think this is the same one I ordered from. We'll find out soon enough.
Probably in December, as I couldn't locate and select the option to speed up shipping.

The seller's representative seems responsive at least. So that's refreshing to know.
My Mi Box from AliExpress arrived yesterday. Looks to be the legit International Android TV version, but haven't set it up so haven't been able to verify the version of Android TV.
(2016-11-22, 13:27)badbadbad Wrote: I think this is the same one I ordered from. We'll find out soon enough.

Same for me! Same contact (Monica sales) :-)
Why did you sent the early complaint if I may ask, are you thinking the device is not legit?
The seller seems pretty high ranked on Ali and sells a lot of original Xiaomi stuff.

Best regards,

K
There are many reasons why a customer can and should complain. I suppose it will not matter for repeat customers, but first-time buyers should always have the leeway for doubt.

If any, it should be noted that their sales representative Monica Sales is very attuned to the customers concerns and is great in resolving all of our conflicts with the sale.

(2016-11-23, 06:37)apgood Wrote: My Mi Box from AliExpress arrived yesterday. Looks to be the legit International Android TV version, but haven't set it up so haven't been able to verify the version of Android TV.

Does Googlecast and Full HD Netflix work?
(2016-11-23, 12:43)badbadbad Wrote:
(2016-11-23, 06:37)apgood Wrote: My Mi Box from AliExpress arrived yesterday. Looks to be the legit International Android TV version, but haven't set it up so haven't been able to verify the version of Android TV.

Does Googlecast and Full HD Netflix work?

Haven't tried Googlecast yet and when I try the Netflix app I get an error code but I think that might be more related to something to do with my network settings. Haven't spent much time troubleshooting it.
I'm considering picking up a mi box. I have two 4 tb hard drives loaded with 720p (mostly I believe) iso and mp4 files. I'd like to add the usb ethernet adapter with usb input ports I've seen mentioned here. I'd like to ....

1. connect via ethernet (to compare ethernet vs wifi)
2. Use two of the usb ports to connect my two 4tb hard drives
3. Use the third usb port to add to the internal memory with a usb flash drive.

Will the Mi Box allow me to use the two usb ports on the adapter to add the two HDs AND use the third to expand the internal memory ? And also is there a limit to the size of connected HDs ?

I'm deciding between the Shield and Mi Box. The Shield is considered better by most but the Mi Box might be more than enough for my purposes. I'll be of course using Kodi for my HD movie viewing.
Hi all,

Really interesting reading everyone's experience with the Mi Box. I'm from the UK but lucky to be in the US right now so went and purchased a box from Walmart so I could use Netflix and play some files off of a memory stick whilst I'm out here. I've also been playing about with SPMC. I'm considering buying a few of these for family before I return to the UK as it's a very capable box, however I'm leaning toward a Roku for family members as they won't have much need for Kodi or SPMC.

Happy to answer any questions people might have.
  • Reason I bought this box is that I was always wary of the generic android kodi boxes, reliability and user experience etc. This box fits my needs with good build quality and excellent UI and remote.
  • I'm currently using the box on a 1080p TV so can't report on 4k issues/uses. I also don't have a 4k TV in the UK... yet. (I have my eye on the LG OLED sets but they are way to expensive right now!)
  • I have successfully managed to install the Amazon Instant Video application from APKMirror the version 3.11.44 for Android TV, however I haven't tried playing video on it yet as my Prime account doesn't work in the US. Will report back when I return to the UK.
  • Wifi performance has been fine for me, the internet I have in the apartment is 100mb-ish and so streaming of various content works extremely well.
  • Google Cast works well, I have an iPhone however so I'm still looking for a good app to cast personal content to the TV, all apps I've used up until now have been buggy and/or had low quality casting.

I do have one slight issue, however I believe it's related to the app but I'm not sure how to disable it. When I run SPMC for the first time a small circle outlined in blue appears on the right of the screen and stays on top of any and every app I load afterwards, it will then remain on screen until I reboot the box. The reason I know it's coming from SPMC is that inside the circle is part of the thumbnail preview of whatever video I'm playing or have played recently on SPMC. Very strange.

Does anyone have any idea how to switch this icon off? I've been doing a tonne of searching/googling and can't seem to find anyone experiencing the same issue on Android TV.

I'm not back with the box until Friday so will take a picture then and upload to show people, however I'm hoping in the mean time someone knows how to switch this off! Smile
(2016-11-23, 17:00)Pi 4 Wrote: I'm considering picking up a mi box. I have two 4 tb hard drives loaded with 720p (mostly I believe) iso and mp4 files. I'd like to add the usb ethernet adapter with usb input ports I've seen mentioned here. I'd like to ....

1. connect via ethernet (to compare ethernet vs wifi)
2. Use two of the usb ports to connect my two 4tb hard drives
3. Use the third usb port to add to the internal memory with a usb flash drive.

Will the Mi Box allow me to use the two usb ports on the adapter to add the two HDs AND use the third to expand the internal memory ? And also is there a limit to the size of connected HDs ?

I'm deciding between the Shield and Mi Box. The Shield is considered better by most but the Mi Box might be more than enough for my purposes. I'll be of course using Kodi for my HD movie viewing.

Unless the mi box your looking at is different then the us Verison it only has one USB port.... As far as mult drive I haven't trying I run all my content over smb.... AC wifi is fast then USB 2.0 Ethernet ... Of course the AC may have more device s blah blah for me I can watch 2 full bluray rips on 2 separate devices both using AC no issues.... As far as USB as internal if you set it up with just it plugged in then unplug it and plug in a hub it will still be found and used.

If you have the money as always go for the shield more power built in Ethernet 500gb storage.
I dont have the money for it but what I will say about this mi box is that it is connected I the living room dining spmc fork of Kodi... Very easy to use and if you look back and follow the setup tips I posted I have not had any issues with true Blu-ray rip to folder structure that 40 plus GB stream from my smb over AC take 10 to 20 second to fill buffer from then out runs perfectly.
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
Hi again,

Well, my comments on the "Mi Box", is that does not have automatic refreshment, the 24hz and 60hz, is very uncomfortable, in the end I left it in 24hz, for the movies since otherwise the Judder effect is very uncomfortable.

Anyone know how to do a factory reset to mi box?

Thanks.
(2016-11-23, 17:36)mitalm Wrote: Does anyone have any idea how to switch this icon off? I've been doing a tonne of searching/googling and can't seem to find anyone experiencing the same issue on Android TV.
Do you have ES File Explorer installed on the box? There have been numerous complaints about it rendering an unwanted icon. If so, remove the app and see if that helps.
(2016-11-23, 18:47)mjbxx Wrote:
(2016-11-23, 17:36)mitalm Wrote: Does anyone have any idea how to switch this icon off? I've been doing a tonne of searching/googling and can't seem to find anyone experiencing the same issue on Android TV.
Do you have ES File Explorer installed on the box? There have been numerous complaints about it rendering an unwanted icon. If so, remove the app and see if that helps.

Yes I do! Will try that when I get back. Thanks for the quick reply! Smile
(2016-11-23, 18:45)redux123 Wrote: Hi again,

Well, my comments on the "Mi Box", is that does not have automatic refreshment, the 24hz and 60hz, is very uncomfortable, in the end I left it in 24hz, for the movies since otherwise the Judder effect is very uncomfortable.

Anyone know how to do a factory reset to mi box?

Thanks.

Go into setting there is a opition to reset the box..... As far as 24 or 60 Hz don't change the mi box setting us spmc and set it to auto adjust... On here somewhere I posted the setting that are recommended and work great on my mi box.... I see Hz between 29 and 59 it changes depending o. The content I am viewing.
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
I am trying to find your settings. However, i could not find them. On the mi box settings on resolution what should i select? I have on 4k2k 60hz (i have a 4k tv). Also, what do i have to select on spmc?. I mean i want the frequency to adjust depending on the content that i play. Right now, everything plays on 60hz, even if i play a 1080p movie on spmc. That is why i get a lot of judder while playing content on spmc.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone
  • 37(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21