• 231(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
well, then I think for the purpose of this thread the distinction between windows and kodi and which one is causing the bad user experience on a HTPC is irrelevant...
(2016-12-01, 18:49)kaefert Wrote:
(2016-11-24, 21:34)nickr Wrote: Rebooting? Major update? I think your problem is windows, not kodi.

As we're in the thread titled "Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio" I wonder: Is the info on the first page wrong that the only option to get MVC 3D + HD Audio passthrough is a windows HTPC? Is there some way to get MVC 3D + HD Audio passthrough with a HTPC running Linux?
Raspberry pi does "MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio".

Nevertheless my point is that reboots & major updates are really nothing to do with kodi, they are due to a poor choice of OS for a media PC. I realise that people who want 3D MVC and have atmos or dts:x have little choice, but those who don't have atmos/dts:x don't need windows.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
raspberry pi does HD Audio? I guess we have different readings of what "HD Audio" means - for me that means digital HD audio stream pass-through to my receiver. As far as I read and understand this is not possible with the raspberry pi.
Analog audio signals before the receiver is just bad design in my opinion.
It is HD audio in the sense RPi decodes and transmits as lossless PCM, but not in the sense that passes it untouched (bitstreaming), which it can't do.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-12-01, 22:56)kaefert Wrote: raspberry pi does HD Audio? I guess we have different readings of what "HD Audio" means - for me that means digital HD audio stream pass-through to my receiver. As far as I read and understand this is not possible with the raspberry pi.
Analog audio signals before the receiver is just bad design in my opinion.
You clearly misunderstand then. PCM is not analogue.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Okey, it's not analogue. But it's definitely not lossless. decoding = loss.
(2016-12-02, 08:41)kaefert Wrote: Okey, it's not analogue. But it's definitely not lossless. decoding = loss.

So when it's decoded by the receiver you lose information?
(2016-12-02, 08:41)kaefert Wrote: Okey, it's not analogue. But it's definitely not lossless. decoding = loss.
Que??
(2016-12-01, 21:12)nickr Wrote:
(2016-12-01, 18:49)kaefert Wrote:
(2016-11-24, 21:34)nickr Wrote: Rebooting? Major update? I think your problem is windows, not kodi.

As we're in the thread titled "Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio" I wonder: Is the info on the first page wrong that the only option to get MVC 3D + HD Audio passthrough is a windows HTPC? Is there some way to get MVC 3D + HD Audio passthrough with a HTPC running Linux?
Raspberry pi does "MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio".

Nevertheless my point is that reboots & major updates are really nothing to do with kodi, they are due to a poor choice of OS for a media PC. I realise that people who want 3D MVC and have atmos or dts:x have little choice, but those who don't have atmos/dts:x don't need windows.

I tried a Raspberry Pi purely for MVC and it just choked up, most likely because of the size of my library.
who has the best decoder in these devices that is significantly better than the other in terms of sound quality ?
The Pi or the Receiver ?
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

Surely by definition of them being lossless codecs, if it's decoded the resulting output is lossless isn't it?
In the past, I ripped a couple 3D.SBS titles.
I used full SBS (not half) @ 3840 X 2160.
I then edited the header using mkvmerge and all was well.
Playback was perfect.

I went to play them once again recently and noticed it was as if the header was not edited.
Squashed horizontal with huge black bars top and bottom.
Checked the header edit and was as I originally left it.

MPC-HC plays them fine.
Kodi used to, but not anymore. I know it worked fine about a month ago.
Using v.17 nightly.

Without jumping to conclusions that Kodi must have broke this functionality somewhere between the last time I played them and the latest few nightlies, does anyone else have this problem or any ideas?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2016-12-02, 12:54)couto27 Wrote: who has the best decoder in these devices that is significantly better than the other in terms of sound quality ?
The Pi or the Receiver ?

hahaha Big Grin that's meant as a joke, or are you really asking that question?

(2016-12-02, 14:26)T800 Wrote: Surely by definition of them being lossless codecs, if it's decoded the resulting output is lossless isn't it?

I don't think / believe that DTS-HD MA signals can be decoded into PCM signals without any loss.
Any one have experience of using hdmi splitters with pi3? Thinking of one so I don't have to continually change hdmi cables. One to tv (1m) and one to projector (5m) for 3d mvc/movie nights? Projector plays 3d crystal clear so don't want to do anything that might compromise this. Or any other possible solutions?
(2016-12-04, 12:34)kaefert Wrote:
(2016-12-02, 12:54)couto27 Wrote: who has the best decoder in these devices that is significantly better than the other in terms of sound quality ?
The Pi or the Receiver ?

hahaha Big Grin that's meant as a joke, or are you really asking that question?

Yes, i made this question because i dont have any of the devices, if you prefer the question in other terms, which player has the best DSP chip ?
In my setup i notice huge changes in terms of bass when the player is decoding or the Receiver is decoding.

Theoretically they should sound the same, but since its not perfect Hardware/software world some receivers might apply some unknown pos-processing when receiving PCM DATA, or the players CPU might not able to handle all the data to decode and need to be overclock....

I think we all can agree that the Hardware/software in use will dictate the final result which can be better on device A....B.....or to someone hears or system it can be Equal.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

• 231(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17