• 232(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2016-12-04, 13:24)couto27 Wrote: who has the best decoder in these devices that is significantly better than the other in terms of sound quality ?
The Pi or the Receiver ?

DTS-HD is a bit exact lossless decoder. The Pi and the receiver will decode it identically.
(2016-12-04, 13:19)drdwridav Wrote: Any one have experience of using hdmi splitters with pi3? Thinking of one so I don't have to continually change hdmi cables. One to tv (1m) and one to projector (5m) for 3d mvc/movie nights? Projector plays 3d crystal clear so don't want to do anything that might compromise this. Or any other possible solutions?

Does this splitter have a switch?

Without a switch, be aware this can only work in direction of Pi -> display.
Reading the EDID (to determine supported resolutions) and CEC (for remote keypresses) which go in direction of display -> Pi may have problems if both TV and projector respond at the same time.

If they both support same resolutions ([email protected] is the most useful) and if you don't use CEC (or only use it on TV) then it may be possible.
(2016-12-04, 14:59)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-12-04, 13:24)couto27 Wrote: who has the best decoder in these devices that is significantly better than the other in terms of sound quality ?
The Pi or the Receiver ?

DTS-HD is a bit exact lossless decoder. The Pi and the receiver will decode it identically.

They can decode identically.
But the sound quality will have differences due the power supply, CPU, decoder implementation and other variables in hardware.

Exemple1...

Example2....
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

For the matter on the same subject, I've found an old article about standalone decoders 5.1 see the link here its an interesting reading about some chinese built-in decoders a few years ago.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2016-12-04, 15:07)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-12-04, 13:19)drdwridav Wrote: Any one have experience of using hdmi splitters with pi3? Thinking of one so I don't have to continually change hdmi cables. One to tv (1m) and one to projector (5m) for 3d mvc/movie nights? Projector plays 3d crystal clear so don't want to do anything that might compromise this. Or any other possible solutions?

Does this splitter have a switch?

Without a switch, be aware this can only work in direction of Pi -> display.
Reading the EDID (to determine supported resolutions) and CEC (for remote keypresses) which go in direction of display -> Pi may have problems if both TV and projector respond at the same time.

If they both support same resolutions ([email protected] is the most useful) and if you don't use CEC (or only use it on TV) then it may be possible.

Cheers. I only need to go one way (pi to projector/tv) and don't use cec. I had read that splitters were for multiple outputs and switches for multiple inputs...
(2016-12-03, 21:21)brazen1 Wrote: In the past, I ripped a couple 3D.SBS titles.
I used full SBS (not half) @ 3840 X 2160.
I then edited the header using mkvmerge and all was well.
Playback was perfect.

I went to play them once again recently and noticed it was as if the header was not edited.
Squashed horizontal with huge black bars top and bottom.
Checked the header edit and was as I originally left it.

MPC-HC plays them fine.
Kodi used to, but not anymore. I know it worked fine about a month ago.
Using v.17 nightly.

Without jumping to conclusions that Kodi must have broke this functionality somewhere between the last time I played them and the latest few nightlies, does anyone else have this problem or any ideas?
Please edit mkv header to properly set display width and height, for Full TAB/SBS it should be 1920 and 1080 respectively
(2016-12-05, 08:01)afedchin Wrote:
(2016-12-03, 21:21)brazen1 Wrote: In the past, I ripped a couple 3D.SBS titles.
I used full SBS (not half) @ 3840 X 2160.
I then edited the header using mkvmerge and all was well.
Playback was perfect.

I went to play them once again recently and noticed it was as if the header was not edited.
Squashed horizontal with huge black bars top and bottom.
Checked the header edit and was as I originally left it.

MPC-HC plays them fine.
Kodi used to, but not anymore. I know it worked fine about a month ago.
Using v.17 nightly.

Without jumping to conclusions that Kodi must have broke this functionality somewhere between the last time I played them and the latest few nightlies, does anyone else have this problem or any ideas?
Please edit mkv header to properly set display width and height, for Full TAB/SBS it should be 1920 and 1080 respectively

Thank you for the suggestion and your interest.

Originally I set the headers at 3840 X 2160 and all players rendered perfect. My 4k panel also reported 3840 X 2160 so I know I'm getting 1080 to each eye.
Recently I played the same files. The width is fine. The height is reduced by 50%. So, I edited the header to 1920 and 1080. This made no change. I also tried 3840 X 1080 and vice versa on both pixel and display sizes. No change.

I know it used to work using 3840 and 2160. I am positive. I just ripped these titles to SBS a couple months ago and watched them using Kodi VideoPlayer.
I don't know what changed? These render fine using PDVD and MPC-HC. Fwiw, VideoPlayer, PDVD, and MPC-HC all switch panel into SBS mode. Audios are Atmos and DTS-HD if it matters?

If you would like to pursue this, I can supply debug log if needed. It's not a big deal though. I can rip to half sbs and let Kodi upscale instead I think? It's only 2 titles. 1 because of DRM and the other a playlist obfuscation disaster. I thought if it didn't get worked out it might lead to further 4k problems down the road. Not sure?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
FullSBS is 3840x1080 , so setting video pixel dimensions to 3840x1080 and display size to 1920x1080 should be correct and do the trick

edit: just tested - works fine on my end with Krypton nightly and a FullSBS sample
(2016-12-05, 18:55)da-anda Wrote: FullSBS is 3840x1080 , so setting video pixel dimensions to 3840x1080 and display size to 1920x1080 should be correct and do the trick

edit: just tested - works fine on my end with Krypton nightly and a FullSBS sample

Ah Ha!
Never tried this combo before and it works perfectly on both titles. Display reports 3840 X 2160 @ 24Hz and auto switches using Kodi VideoPlayer and MPC-HC.
Using PDVD, display reports 1920 X 1080 as it always has but, I don't use PDVD for sbs. I am fairly certain Kodi and MPC-HC have built in upscale but PDVD does not..... yet. I have not figured out how to pass the upscale to my panel instead of any of the players and assume the panel would upscale better than the software. Thoughts?

Thank you for the tips and taking time to straighten me out. Very kind of both of you.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do full SBS? Isn't the filesize like double of a framepacked MVC ISO?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
going from the q10pro to the x9s was probably the worst "upgrade" ive done.

x9s is so much worse than the q10pro acording to me, i got so much lagg, ethernet lost and shit bugs in the x9s its driving my crazy

q10pro is a final product
x9s is in beta

Dunno why anyone would rank x9s higher than q10pro but thats why i thought i made a upgrade buying this bad product that x9s is atm
Because half SBS is 1920 X 540 which is the best it gets for a 1080 system. Full SBS would not look any different. You don't have enough pixels to fill.
Full SBS is 1920 X 1080 sending 1080 to each eye which on a 4k display appears 4k.
Also, if the source is already upscaled, I would assume a display can decode it better than the software player in your PC. We won't know until a 4k 3D title is released, if ever.
MVC frame packed is my source of choice but as I stated, I have a couple problems with 2 titles that go away if I SBS rip them. I honestly don't see a difference from the Full SBS vs. the frame packed on my system but clearly see a difference using half. There is no compression either. And no, the file size remains the same as the BD. Years ago when doing this, the file size did increase. Now it's been refined and it doesn't.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's my understanding.

(2016-12-05, 22:23)hdmkv Wrote: Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do full SBS? Isn't the filesize like double of a framepacked MVC ISO?
A full BD MVC rip will have something like 30+ GB, while with a reencoded FullSBS you should only need like 20 GB or less. But yes, without lossy reencoding (that's what handbrake does) FullSBS would end up in larger file sizes
How do you make a full SBS rip?
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2016-12-05, 22:52)hausmanis Wrote: going from the q10pro to the x9s was probably the worst "upgrade" ive done.

x9s is so much worse than the q10pro acording to me, i got so much lagg, ethernet lost and shit bugs in the x9s its driving my crazy

q10pro is a final product
x9s is in beta

Dunno why anyone would rank x9s higher than q10pro but thats why i thought i made a upgrade buying this bad product that x9s is atm

I agreed with you, I gave my Q10 Pro to my Brother and got X8NoNo, now I am scratching my head, want to tell him that I want my device back but I can't.Confused
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
  • 232(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17