• 67(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2016-12-04, 10:41)aian Wrote: I'll also give the S905 Chinese box a go as per your instructions.
That is the perfect cheap AML S905 box for LibreELEC Kodi Jarvis. Its actually increased in price over the last six months due to popularity.
I personally would install LE to internal eMMC Flash memory.

I will definitely try it then.
I'm going through the link you sent me and it seems many people are happy with this combo.

Thank you for all your suggestions and help.
Do any of these recommended KODI players support 4 terabyte hard drives (or drives larger than 2.2 terabytes)?
(2016-12-02, 18:20)regnaston Wrote: Since both M8S and Pro are too short to search this forum (even when I use "M8S Pro" in the search box, I figured I would ask here....

any opinions on this box? Will it run Kodi smoothly and have little to no buffering

Don't be silly. Search google with the search term
Code:
m8s site:forum.kodi.tv
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-12-05, 06:43)srich12 Wrote: Do any of these recommended KODI players support 4 terabyte hard drives (or drives larger than 2.2 terabytes)?

I know for a fact that Q10 Pro does support even 6 TB HDD, although some have said that they use a 8 TB HDD successfully.
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
(2016-12-03, 23:22)aian Wrote: Maybe my needs are extremely demanding:

I need to play my 1080p or 720p or 480p movies and tv series on my tv.
I need to play my 3D Side by Side or Over Under 1080p movies on my tv.
All content comes from a NAS or a USB 3 drive.
Sound to come from the tv's stereo speakers. Only.
No amps, no preamps, no Dolbys, no DTSs, no HD Audios, no 7.1s, no 4Ks, no complicated connections, no demanding x265 formats, no full BR rips, no strange demands for 24, 25, 26, 27, 157 frames or what have you.
No Netflix, no YouTube, no Google or Amazon apps, no games, no HULU, no piracy plugins. Just locally stored content.
One box with a remote control (not a mouse, it's a media player), to be connected to a power supply, a LAN cable and a TV, that simply works.
I don't care about the cost, but it needs to work.

The most stable hardware I've ever used for Kodi is the raspberry.
I suggest you a RPI3 with a logitech harmony hub, or another bluetooth remote/keyboard.
A acquaintance in British Columbia suggested the following Code TV Kodi Box whose link I've listed below.
http://www.codetvbox.com/kodi-box.html
Is someone familiar with this version of the Kodi Box?
Is their value in this specific Kodi Box.
Any information would be helpful.
Newbie and I am coming to realize their are way to many options to choose from when one says Kodi Box....
Thx
Its a "Fully Loaded" Pirate box and very much frowned by the Kodi user and development community.
These type's of sellers are bottom feeding pond scum, that leech off Free Kodi development work for their own profit.
They are the worst of the worst.

A bunch of what is promised on that device will not work, with addons broken constantly. Netflix will be worse than SD quality TV. And worse still when you come here and seek the inevitable help that is needed, no one will lift a finger because you bought a Pirate Device.

At the top of this very Forum is this:

The Piracy Box Sellers and Youtube Promoters Are Killing Kodi

Post #1 of this very thread has far better working devices. If you are in the USA a $69 Xiaomi Mi Box is a far better alternative for Kodi and Newbie usage because it runs a very Newb friendly interface called Android TV OS. No Keyboard or extra remotes needed with Android TV OS.

https://www.android.com/tv/

I've just bought a new TV. Have I drawn the correct conclusion that my current setup of TX609 AVR and Pi 3 running Openelec will not do 4K and upgrading to a setup that will do 4K is problematic and expensive, and if I wait a year or two it's likely to be ubiquitous and cheap?
Solution:

Use LibreELEC Kodi on an 2GB RAM AMLogic device such as those found over in the forum:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/forum-38.html

and this:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2233982

and this thread:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=255686

As well as Post #1 of this very thread there are affordable options for basic non HDR 4K playback.
Heck a $69 Mi Box does 4K video playback and 4K Netflix as well.

Its TV's certified to the HDR Ultra-HD Premium standard as well as HDMI2.a / HDCP2.2 compatible AVR's that make going down the proper HDR 4K route expensive. And you likely need DolbyVision compatible gear mixed in there as well to do it properly.

Hi guys,
I was reading here a lot lately, mainly following the discussions related to Wetek devices as they seemed to be best for me, but seeing the chaotical development on Wetek's side like the sudden removing of FTP, telnet etc. from their ROM, I fear I need to look elsewhere and was wondering if someone had a look at the Ferguson Ariva 4K already? I had a "normal" SAT receiver from them and it was quite ok, but not sure about this one.
Interesting reply wrxtasy, thanks for taking the time! I didn't realise there were cheap alternatives to a Pi box.

I'm thinking the AVR might be an issue though, the maximum input it'll take is 1080p. Although it will upscale to 4K. "Marvell Qdeo™ Video Chip for 4K Upscaling." I'm thinking I want to keep the kodi output going through the AVR to get upscaling rather than connect it directly to the TV. I'm assuming there's some way to connect the kodi output to the TV and somehow get the audio to the AVR as well but if I did that it'd only benefit me if I had 4K sources, anything else and I'd miss out on the upscaling.
Could you not just use: media player > HDMI > TV > ARC HDMI > TX609 AVR ?

I assumed that would mean the AVR wouldn't upscale?
Hi All

Newbie here, but a bit of background first.
- I have a HTPC that runs Kodi (and plays my movies from my HDD) that connects to my AVR via HDMI (passthrough audio, so that I get all HD audio and stuff - important for me)
- Netflix, I run through my samsung TV apps

Love my HTPC - but can not have two of them, so would like a recommended for a new box (likely just a user interface - i believe)

The new box would connect to my new AVR (Denon X3300) for sound processing and video output (similar to first setup)

both AVR and projector are 4k ready

I have read through the first two post, and wow lots of good details - hopefully someone could hit it on the head for me with a recommendation

Which box so that i get
- to play my videos (all of which has DTS/DD and all the other HD formats) so that my AVR decodes/processes it (and shows on the display DTS-HD MA... Wink )
- uses Kodi
- Netflix HD

- budget: less of concern of minimising cost, more concerned about quality of output - but that doesnt mean I break the bank. i just dont want to cheap out

-lastly, if it can work with a logitech harmony remote and connect to a network via wire
  • 67(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28