• 14(current)
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware
Found this... so, looks like it'll be an external player solution?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
I just watch a quick youtube video about it and look like once you finish configuring the playback works internally and doesn't launch with an external player.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
I don't think madVR yet supports HDR "passthrough". It does HDR processing (gamut and tone mapping). While this should be OK with the current generation of HDR TVs, it will still be different from TV's own processing. madVR has no idea what the gamut volume or peak luminance of the TV is. madshi has mentioned that he doesn't "like" the current HDR/WCG APIs. He may consider "passthrogh" at a later time.
@hdmkv: What you found is a madVR tutorial, which is a semi-professional video render and only works under windows. The picture quality (especially when it comes to any kind of upscaling; e.g. SD->1080p or 1080p -> 4k...) is superior to the Kodi standard video render. MadVR + LAV filters can be used along Kodi (DSPlayer) as internal player, so watched states are saved correctly and you see the Kodi Player commands when you pause the video.

However, there are some issues you need to be aware of:

1. Setting up the madVR and the LAVfilters takes some time and at the beginning all the available options are overwhelming. Moreover, some settings might break video playback or even worsen the picture quality. But I followed Warner306 two awesome tutorials (Link1 and Link2) and I am currently using Kodi DSPlayer + madVR as my standard setup. Now, even regular 1080p content looks a bit better on my 100 inch screen, compared to the Kodi standard version based on ffmpeg. However, effects on smaller TV screens might be less.

2. MadVR supports full 3D output, however there is no hardware decoding for 3D output so far. Therefore, you need enough CPU power for soft-decoding, which is no problem with my current setup (i3-6100).

3. The Kodi DSPlayer was originally developed by aracnoz, but he appended the project due to personal issues. So there is currently no active development, but the thread and fanbase is still very much alive. The current stable build, which is based on 16.1., is still available and runs very stable on my system. Moreover, as an exceptional early christmas gift aracnoz released an Krypton build a couple of days ago. I haven't had time to test it, yet.

4. MadVR is only running on windows and therefore there is no real chance, that it will be implemented into the Kodi mainline.

5. Kodi DSplayer + madVR might work with 4k content and HDR output. I have no 4k projector or TV, therefore I have no personal experience with these issues.

When I find some time during christmas holiday, I try to figure out how to export my madVR settings and share it with you guys in hdmkv's HTPC MVC thread.
@bollstedt can you please take some time and do a video tutorial on how set up this correctly?
@Warner306 tutorial is a little bit overwhelmingUndecided
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
Video 
Found a great tutorial, But I wish someone will take some time and do a step to step video tutorial so that we can all enjoy, maybe this is the All In One Solution that we are looking for.Smile
I ordered my MSI Cube 2. Let's see how this plays in the time ahead with Kodi 18 soon gets going Smile
AppleTV 4K, LG 65E6 OLED TV, Marantz NR1606, Harmony Elite
(2016-12-08, 20:11)_Spook_ Wrote: I ordered my MSI Cube 2. Let's see how this plays in the time ahead with Kodi 18 soon gets going Smile

Are you going to try MadVR?
(2016-12-08, 20:37)movie78 Wrote:
(2016-12-08, 20:11)_Spook_ Wrote: I ordered my MSI Cube 2. Let's see how this plays in the time ahead with Kodi 18 soon gets going Smile

Are you going to try MadVR?

If using windows with all of those options is what it takes to get HDR then sure Smile
AppleTV 4K, LG 65E6 OLED TV, Marantz NR1606, Harmony Elite
(2016-12-08, 17:13)movie78 Wrote: Found a great tutorial, But I wish someone will take some time and do a step to step video tutorial so that we can all enjoy, maybe this is the All In One Solution that we are looking for.Smile

Why should it be better than the version from afedchin?
(2016-12-10, 09:31)Caramba69 Wrote: [quote='movie78' pid='2473628' dateline='1481210013']
Found a great tutorial, But I wish someone will take some time and do a step to step video tutorial so that we can all enjoy, maybe this is the All In One Solution that we are looking for.Smile

Why should it be better than the version from afedchin?

Ability to do HDR and 3D MVC with Kaby Lake

(2016-12-10, 18:39)movie78 Wrote: Ability to do HDR and 3D MVC with Kaby Lake
You do realize that the first option "passthrough HDR content to the display" doesn't actually send the HDR metadata. The second option converts it to SDR. 4th & 5th options are "processed" HDR. Also, for 1st, 4th and 5th options you need to manually put your TV in HDR mode, which is not possible with your Samsung TV unless you get an HDFury Integral and force HDR mode.
(2016-12-10, 20:49)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-12-10, 18:39)movie78 Wrote: Ability to do HDR and 3D MVC with Kaby Lake
You do realize that the first option "passthrough HDR content to the display" doesn't actually send the HDR metadata. The second option converts it to SDR. 4th & 5th options are "processed" HDR. Also, for 1st, 4th and 5th options you need to manually put your TV in HDR mode, which is not possible with your Samsung TV unless you get an HDFury Integral and force HDR mode.

Alright i give up!!!!!!
don't give up. just be patient. 4K and hdr will eventually be the norm. it helps that the ps4 and xbox one s both output it now, amazon and netflix are supporting it, and tv's (at least mine) support both formats

i am quite happy with the mvc intel build to my 65" oled. i have very little true 4K video but am likely to buy an oppo 4K reference deck in next two months in which case i ak back to physical media for some titles - sonce no backup exists yet for UHD
@movie78: the kodi Version you linked for me the other days: Does it have HDR to SDR support on 4k 10bit clips (since i use FHD TV)?
Could this be the problem of my color errors I posted in Apollo lake threat?!
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware3