• 234(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
Problem is that interest in 3D is pretty much dead with major manufacturers. Studios still support it, but mostly movies theatrically as they're still popular (but, less so Blu-ray 3D; case in point Disney).

With 2D, there are several good to excellent all-in-one players. With 3D thrown into the mix, there are shortcomings or things to complain about with all.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Quote:Problem is that interest in 3D is pretty much dead with major manufacturers.
I'd bet dimes to dollars once 4k is milked, a new round of 4k/8k with 3D will appear so they can all upgrade..... again.
This is why I didn't upgrade to 4k 3D until the last of the Mohicans of new old stock was left.
Let's not lose sight of the fact that many blockbusters are still released in 3D to this day.

Quote:who will make the first perfect media player ? and when ? that is the question
Windows with an external player makes a perfect media player imo and it's been around forever. Got a Windows computer of some sort? Add PDVD and a playercorefactory file and you're all set. If you already have the Windows device (and who doesn't?), the low cost of the software is less than all these devices plus, there's no limitations or problems.

I've heard the stories when I've brought this up in the past:

It's too much of a hassle to add that playercorefactory to my userdata folder. That 2 minutes is a waste of my life and the 2 days figuring out what works and what doesn't on my alternative dream device is much better spent.

It doesn't look right parked next to my AVR and subwoofer.

Automatic updates ruin my experience. You're digging deep on this one since it's easily overcome and infrequent to begin with.

The fans in a Windows device are too noisy. Another deep dig easily overcome if your fans are even noisy to begin with.

I just don't like Windows. Why, we'll never know, you never say?

I don't like upgrading parts in my PC. I'd rather have to buy whole new units all over again and again since I can't upgrade anything in them every time something new in the media world is introduced.

A Windows PC solution offers an infinite amount of control over everything hardware and software. This is too complicated for me and I would rather be limited by the finite control of very little and live with the consequences.

I'd rather juggle between a bunch of devices rather than have a complete solution in one box. That one box is too much to deal with and I need to spend money. I know I need a server since my device only has 1 hard drive in it. Then I'll need a Windows PC to manage my rips that I can later send to the server somehow. How else am I gonna' get it from disc to file? I need a playback device that I can call on the server to send me. Actually, I'm gonna' need 3 or 4 cuz one can't do what the other does. I need lot's a stuff for specific stuff so I don't get confused about my stuff and the stuff my stuff does and doesn't. Then I can organize where I'm going to stuff my stuff so I can get to the stuff and plug all that stuff in cuz stuff has to communicate with stuff and all those cables and WiFi addresses and compatibility and limitations and all that other stuff matters.

I got a bluescreen once since I managed to screw up my install by not following directions and I'm never going through that again!

I hate having to manually boot my PC or let it hibernate. A remote mapped to do this is too much "fiddling".

What would the Jones's say if they found out my home theatre was based around a Windows PC instead of a bunch of devices they can read about somewhere? The glory of how much I've invested would leave them speechless at how cheap as well as inferior my theatre must be? I couldn't bare the thought. They would walk out on the showing.

I don't like the idea that Kodi and an external player are two separate things even though they work great together including remote control buttons.

I tried to present the idea to my wife and kids assuring them all they needed to do is what they presently do: Sit on the couch, work the remote control and eat popcorn. They were appalled and I slept on the couch that night next to the remote.

I had problems using an external player in the past. I don't remember what it was, I just didn't like it. The problems I have with my current device, I seem to like much better.

I twiddle my thumbs a lot. Every chance I get to wait on hold when I call the manufacturer in China with yet another problem is a delight. Sometimes I even get connected and I'm told it will be in a firmware update in the future.... maybe. Then I get to wait in anxious anticipation. Meanwhile, me the wife and kids get lots of Monopoly time together.

I can't seem to get around the extra $60 expense of an external player added to my PC. I'd much rather spend more on something else and receive less.

Did I miss anything?
I'm just funnin' with ya' all. It's nice to have choices and alternatives, especially so many that can appeal to any circumstance. Kodi tastes good any way you serve it and that's what counts.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2016-12-07, 19:38)hausmanis Wrote: i mean Nvidia Shield seemed so damn nice but NOES still cant do hd 7.1 and other important bits lacking aswell

The Shield does HD 7.1 (and Atmos/DTS:X Object based), so the only thing it's really missing is 3D and Dolby Vision, since it also plays 4k up to 60Hz and HDR.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
New Shield At CES

Hopefully this one support MVC
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Unlikely as new Shield will likely be similar h/w, at a cheaper price. If they wanted to, nVidia could implement MVC in current Shield h/w... but, they've made it clear they don't.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
That is a damn shame because the Shield is one of the best hardware,
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2016-12-07, 20:31)hdmkv Wrote: With 2D, there are several good to excellent all-in-one players. With 3D thrown into the mix, there are shortcomings or things to complain about with all.
And this is it in a Nutshell. If you want 3D - buy dedicated quality hardware for it AND only use it for 3D video playback. Don't mess around with a known working setup. Particularly important for Home Theatre use.

The problem is users looking for the all in one "Holy Grail" Android / Kodi / 4K HDR / DolbyVision / 3D MVC / whatever box, at a relatively dirt cheap price. And then you end up with a compromised Kodi media player, with some using a less than optimal, Hacked together Kodi > External Player solution.

Users need a good hard reality check.

+1
Quote:The problem is users looking for the all in one "Holy Grail" with some using a less than optimal, Hacked together Kodi > External Player solution.

I have great respect for you and I'm really interested in your opinions. If you don't mind, perhaps you could elaborate on your statement so I have a better understanding? I'm always seeking optimal solutions and this quote of yours leads me to believe not only is my configuration less than optimal, it's hacked together. Don't know where to begin to correct my fault?

The goal in this discussion is some are looking for the "Holy Grail". A method or device that does EVERYTHING. And I mean EVERYTHING: Ripping, serving, every bitrate audio/video, 3D/2D, menus, etc. Not just the ones you are interested in, the entire gamut that any other user(s) might be interested in which covers the entire spectrum of possibilities.
I gave a suggestion, and you mocked it. To reiterate, 1 box (Device) that does EVERYTHING is the goal.

I suppose you feel even though there is no disputing that indeed a Windows PC is one device that does EVERYTHING, qualification should be rejected because the solution requires use of an external player for 1 type of media, 3D MVC Frame Packed. All other media defaults using the Kodi internal player and the relationship is seamless when the external is called.
Why is this unacceptable and considered "less than optimal" and "Hacked"?

Since every other device on the planet cannot do EVERYTHING, it would require multiple devices to accomplish the 'Goal'.
I assume your take is: A bunch of devices, each performing it's own duty dedicated toward picking up the slack of other devices is "optimal" and certainly not "Hacked together".
I can't understand the superiority of multi devices vs. one device using an external player and only for one media type? And the cost advantage of one software vs. a bunch of devices doesn't register with me either? What is "optimal" about spending more money vs. less to accomplish the same 'Goal'? Which device do you call on to actually rip your disc so you can use it with Kodi in the 1st place? I use my same box fwiw. And the NAS thing, yet another device. I use my same box.

Do you consider it more eloquent to seamlessly use an external player with Kodi or flip flop between devices every time the media changes?
Typical scenario: You have one of your devices showing on your display and you are browsing your library.

You decide to watch a 2D title you are focused on and press enter and all is well.
You quit that title and you are back browsing your library and decide to watch a 3D title, specifically MVC frame packed mkv or iso or whatever.
Do you have to manually leave that device and call on another device, basically start over, navigate to the library, find the 3D title and press enter?
What if you wanted to listen to your title in Atmos and your current device can't do it? Would you again need to call on another device and basically start over?
Suppose you wanted to review the complete menu of your BD. What do you do then?
Do you not only have to flip flop devices, do you flip flop the corresponding remote controls as well?
What about calibration settings audio/video per each device and there unique interactions with all your other hardware, mainly your AVR and Display?
Are these scenarios unrealistic and are these inconveniences considered "optimal"?

I can tell you, for every scenario above, and any others you can think of, I simply press enter on that focused title and do nothing else. It all happens. No further action of any kind is required on my part. I can't get my head around why this is "less than optimal" and "hacked"?

Lastly, do all these devices use the Kodi internal player in their attempt to play EVERYTHING or is the Kodi internal player replaced at times by some other proprietary player, kind of like an external player?

Really looking forward to further input and clarification. I'm eager to start optimizing and undoing hacks or at least realize my mistakes and I'm ready for the "good hard reality check" I'm due. Thank you in advance.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Show me your Windows all in one box that does EVERYTHING.
One that does 4K HDR Netflix and 4K Amazon, 10bit 4K HEVC @50/60Hz and HDR10 Kodi video output all using Windows at a non-obscene price. All using a Simple Bluetooth Voice remote control.

Be aware Android Apps can also be run from within Kodi in a pretty seamless manner.

Voice control can come in very handy if you use it properly to call up Kodi scraped A/V media on some platforms. It would be ideal for 3D titles.

I hope your all in one NAS / Win Box remains reliable. Redundancy should be a serious consideration.
What happens to your all in one Box when used as a TvHeadend backend Home server and it crashes during recording ?
This is why a bunch of guys are using an External NAS to do such things.

I'm not knocking your Win 3D solution, as it definitely looks like the way to go for 3D, but mainly talking about the 3D boxes that are having multiple issues with Subtitles and Kodi resume points & remote control issues when using a Kodi > External 3D video playback solution. Zidoo X9S as an example. But that box comparatively is a pretty immature platform.

Quote:4K HDR Netflix and 4K Amazon?
With all due respect, you're digging pretty deep and straying far, far off the point as well as the topic.
I'll remind you of the thread we're in and the general subject matter discussed taking into account the question poised.
Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio the question specifically asked "who will make the first perfect media player ? and when ? that is the question"
That is the discussion I'm interested in.

But in all fairness to answer your question, if I even wanted to throw more money to services I have no use for, I would use my display apps to access and render. It's not an extra device. Furthermore, I have played 4k HDR on that device and documented it in these forums and others. Mind you, I did not need to purchase anything. HDR is covered. You are bringing these streaming services up from 3rd party suppliers as if they are required and an important enforcement why an external player with Windows to achieve 3D is not optimal and a hack job. However, I do understand the relationship of an HTPC and streaming. Because I don't use streaming services and can't supply specific answers does not mean a Windows platform using Kodi and an external player is not capable of streaming 4k HDR from a 3rd party. Windows has adopted native HDR for photos with the promise of video right around the corner. Ask again in a few months. I should have it wired by then.

Quote:10bit 4K HEVC @50/60Hz and HDR10 Kodi video output all using Windows at a non-obscene price.
Well, my rig is about 10 years old. I upgraded the video card to last years model at a discount since it too is outdated. No obscene prices, I can assure you. Those files, and every other file in the Kodi wiki test files I can play and more that aren't even in there. Check that one off.

Quote:Voice control can come in very handy if you use it properly to call up Kodi scraped A/V media on some platforms. It would be ideal for 3D titles.
I honestly have no idea if my system could do this or not? I've never tried. Why would it be ideal for 3D titles? I know my panel has voice recognition. It was the 1st thing I turned off. Kodi interface would be different, I know. My understanding is anything connected to the net with a mic could be listening and documenting much more than voice commands. Samsung admitted this if I'm not mistaken thus my reasoning. Not sure about other devices or software?

Quote:I hope your all in one NAS / Win Box remains reliable. Redundancy should be a serious consideration.
Good point. I went 100% and back up 1:1 to a whole different set of drives essentially duplicating my sources.... just in case.
Reliable? Well, 10 years this rig and still going.

Quote:What happens to your all in one Box when used as a TvHeadend backend Home server and it crashes during recording ?
I really don't do any live recording of TV so I can't tell you what I would do? I'm sure you probably got one over me with this one.

Quote:I'm not knocking your Win 3D solution, as it definitely looks like the way to go for 3D
That's really nice of you to acknowledge that. Coming from you I really appreciate the mention. Thank you and I mean that.

Quote:mainly talking about the 3D boxes that are having multiple issues with Subtitles and Kodi resume points & remote control issues when using a Kodi
Can't speak for those devices. I see you notice they have multi issues. I know using Windows with an external player does not have sub issues, or remote issues. Resume point could be considered a slight issue. Kodi offers a resume point and works. It does not work when used with an external. It's presented, but doesn't work. What does happen is the external offers the resume point. That does work. The complication is mainly files in an iso. It's too wrapped up and you can't see inside it. Much like hovering 'Mediainfo' over an iso.

Thanks for the civil discussion. I enjoyed it.

(2016-12-07, 19:38)hausmanis Wrote: Still cant help feeling abit sad for, how hard is it to create 1 option that is good at everything ? i mean Nvidia Shield seemed so damn nice but NOES still cant do hd 7.1 and other important bits lacking aswell
And pro10 and zidox9s sure they got potential but still are in "beta" more or less

who will make the first perfect media player ? and when ? that is the question

It will never happen there is to many different types of people out there. From a pure you own your files and rip them yourself you cant beat the reliability of a stand alone player but with that reliability you lose out on a nice UI. If you want a nice easy to use UI without a standard set of hardware behind it you lose out on reliability. The you get into the details. The Shield is the most complete android package but missing 3D is a huge no go for some people. To make an all in one perfect media player takes a huge amount of money and I just dont think the market is there to get your money back. To cut agreements with netflix/hulu/amazon/vudu, have bit perfect PQ and AQ while supporting atmos/dts:X/Auro-3D as well as downmixing for people with stereo only. Then add on top 3D/HDR/DolbyVision playback maybe dvd/bluray menus in a complete package that is easy to use is a huge task and a lot of money.
(2016-12-13, 00:06)halfelite Wrote:
(2016-12-07, 19:38)hausmanis Wrote: Still cant help feeling abit sad for, how hard is it to create 1 option that is good at everything ? i mean Nvidia Shield seemed so damn nice but NOES still cant do hd 7.1 and other important bits lacking aswell
And pro10 and zidox9s sure they got potential but still are in "beta" more or less

who will make the first perfect media player ? and when ? that is the question

It will never happen there is to many different types of people out there. From a pure you own your files and rip them yourself you cant beat the reliability of a stand alone player but with that reliability you lose out on a nice UI. If you want a nice easy to use UI without a standard set of hardware behind it you lose out on reliability. The you get into the details. The Shield is the most complete android package but missing 3D is a huge no go for some people. To make an all in one perfect media player takes a huge amount of money and I just dont think the market is there to get your money back. To cut agreements with netflix/hulu/amazon/vudu, have bit perfect PQ and AQ while supporting atmos/dts:X/Auro-3D as well as downmixing for people with stereo only. Then add on top 3D/HDR/DolbyVision playback maybe dvd/bluray menus in a complete package that is easy to use is a huge task and a lot of money.

Not quite true actually, nVidia Shield was already almost there and is probably the closest to reaching it. The only thing it was missing was 3D MVC Support, if they added that it would have been the ideal perfect box.
(2016-12-15, 18:29)KILLERNADS Wrote: Not quite true actually, nVidia Shield was already almost there and is probably the closest to reaching it. The only thing it was missing was 3D MVC Support, if they added that it would have been the ideal perfect box.

Shield is one of the closets things I agree but had some PQ flaws and a few other things. Now granted while watching media will you be able to point out the PQ flaws I doubt it I would not be able to. Only way you can see it is when you run test patterns. But even it has some of the streaming service neutered I thought not getting the full potential.
just discovered today that I can play 3d iso's on my hacked ps3, hd audio and all !!

so while I wait for the perfect all in one kodi machine this will do !
  • 234(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17