• 20(current)
Intel Apollo Lake
Well, I have a hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2.2 capable Receiver and TV and can also output only uhd@30hz and still no hd audio passthrough. It seems the dp to hdmi 2.0 converter chip seems to be the problem. Hope that there will be a fix soon too.
(2016-12-14, 21:34)chrisk2305 Wrote: Well, I have a hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2.2 capable Receiver and TV and can also output only uhd@30hz and still no hd audio passthrough. It seems the dp to hdmi 2.0 converter chip seems to be the problem. Hope that there will be a fix soon too.

Worked for me in windows and MPC-HC.
(2016-12-14, 21:32)Dr.Feelgood Wrote: I've just installed Asrock J4205-ITX and can play all 4K material. Works really good and CPU usage is never above 30%.

However when i connect it to my somewhat old VSX 922 receiver i can only get 30p output, TV supports 60P.
Is this a limitation of the receiver? Is there something i can do to get 60p output to the receiver also?

It would seem to me that the 2012 Pioneer VSX-922 only has HDMI 1.4 ports. HDMI 1.4 does not have enough bandwidth for 4k picture at more than 30 fps. You'll need a receiver with HDMI 2.0a inputs for that.
I have a yamaha cx-a5100 pre amp that is definitly capable of hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2 and a panasonic dxw784 that also supports hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2 and i am stil not able to play back 4k at 60hz
Windows?

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk
(2016-12-14, 21:39)trsqr Wrote:
(2016-12-14, 21:32)Dr.Feelgood Wrote: I've just installed Asrock J4205-ITX and can play all 4K material. Works really good and CPU usage is never above 30%.

However when i connect it to my somewhat old VSX 922 receiver i can only get 30p output, TV supports 60P.
Is this a limitation of the receiver? Is there something i can do to get 60p output to the receiver also?

It would seem to me that the 2012 Pioneer VSX-922 only has HDMI 1.4 ports. HDMI 1.4 does not have enough bandwidth for 4k picture at more than 30 fps. You'll need a receiver with HDMI 2.0a inputs for that.

Thx, that sounds reasonable, receivers are quite affordable nowdays so it might be time for upgrade Smile
@flyingernst: no, Linux
Dr.Feelgood or anyone with ASRock J4205-ITX, could you please test if it's possible to send audio over it's DVI port? Simply use some DVI to HDMI passive adapter or cable to attach to HDMI TV or Monitor with sound support.

It may sound weird at first to send audio over DVI, after all DVI shouldn't carry audio, right? I did my research and found that it is not uncommon for DVI to be able to carry audio, especially in those cases where the DVI header is simply applied to the actual HDMI port of the GPU chip. It is not clear at this moment what are the capabilities of J4205 GPU. But if it mimics Skylake GPU architecture to certain extent, it should at least have one DP port and one HDMI (1.4) port. We know that the HDMI 2.0 OUT header of the ASRock J4205-ITX is actually on-board adapted from the DP port of the GPU, because the GPU's HDMI is still only 1.4. Therefore it's possible that the DVI header is actually connected to the GPU's HDMI port. Then it might support audio as well.

It's important for my use case:
- Connect 4K TV via HDMI 2.0 to get best picture
- Connect old AV receiver via HDMI 1.3 to get best sound

So I need two HDMI outputs. If ASRock J4205-ITX's DVI is actually adapted HDMI and supports audio, then I can use it for my use case.

Thanks in advance for checking this!

Edit: and reading your story below, you might actually benefit from this use case as well, to be able to use your old AV receiver:

(2016-12-15, 10:36)chrisk2305 Wrote: @flyingernst: no, Linux

Linux has no 4K h265 10bit support, but 4k h265 8bit should work (decoding). Output 60hz 4k over HDMI2 and 30Hz 4K over DVI to HDMI Adapter should also be possible, but this I cant test.

HD Audio ONLY works in LibreElec if you use the DVI to HDMI Adapter

Under win 10 EVERYTHING* (4k 8bit/10bit/60Hz decoding / HD AUdio passthrough) works as long you have no HDMI 2 device in your chain (AVR/TV).
If you have other HDMI 2 devices, then you better use a DVI to HDMI adapter. The only thing you loose is the OUTPUT (not the decoding) of 50/60Hz 4K signals....which is not that much a loss since BlurayMovies never have more then 30fps. Some Trailer have 60Hz...but how cares.

NO x86 device, NO OS (Linux or Windows) has an 10bit oder 12bit video output. Whatever you decode, output ist maximum 4:4:4 8bit.
Only piotrasd once had some LibreElec releases which where able to output 10bit 4:4:4 Video Data....but noone can use it aslong LibreElec cant decode 10bit VideoStreams

*exeption: I sometimes have color errors on 10bit bt2020 HDR movies
(2016-12-15, 14:00)flyingernst Wrote: Under win 10 EVERYTHING* (4k 8bit/10bit/60Hz decoding / HD AUdio passthrough) works as long you have no HDMI 2 device in your chain (AVR/TV).
If you have other HDMI 2 devices, then you better use a DVI to HDMI adapter. The only thing you loose is the OUTPUT (not the decoding) of 50/60Hz 4K signals....which is not that much a loss since BlurayMovies never have more then 30fps. Some Trailer have 60Hz...but how cares.

4k television broadcasts are 50Hz, so in that sense it's not totally who cares... Not too many of them around though.

You said HD audio passthrough works in Windows 10 if no HDMI 2.0 devices are present. Is that the case? With an older AV receiver it works?

Sent from my Moto G (4)
(2016-12-15, 11:32)oo.viper.oo Wrote: Dr.Feelgood or anyone with ASRock J4205-ITX, could you please test if it's possible to send audio over it's DVI port? Simply use some DVI to HDMI passive adapter or cable to attach to HDMI TV or Monitor with sound support.

It may sound weird at first to send audio over DVI, after all DVI shouldn't carry audio, right? I did my research and found that it is not uncommon for DVI to be able to carry audio, especially in those cases where the DVI header is simply applied to the actual HDMI port of the GPU chip. It is not clear at this moment what are the capabilities of J4205 GPU. But if it mimics Skylake GPU architecture to certain extent, it should at least have one DP port and one HDMI (1.4) port. We know that the HDMI 2.0 OUT header of the ASRock J4205-ITX is actually on-board adapted from the DP port of the GPU, because the GPU's HDMI is still only 1.4. Therefore it's possible that the DVI header is actually connected to the GPU's HDMI port. Then it might support audio as well.

It's important for my use case:
- Connect 4K TV via HDMI 2.0 to get best picture
- Connect old AV receiver via HDMI 1.3 to get best sound

So I need two HDMI outputs. If ASRock J4205-ITX's DVI is actually adapted HDMI and supports audio, then I can use it for my use case.

Thanks in advance for checking this!

Edit: and reading your story below, you might actually benefit from this use case as well, to be able to use your old AV receiver:

.0001% chance it works. I wouldn't bother testing man, just buy a new reciever.
(2016-12-15, 14:00)flyingernst Wrote: Under win 10 EVERYTHING* (4k 8bit/10bit/60Hz decoding / HD AUdio passthrough) works as long you have no HDMI 2 device in your chain (AVR/TV).

Could you elaborate on this, please? When you talk about having devices in chain, then I suppose you mean j4205-itx -> DVI -> (DVI to HDMI adapter) -> AV receiver -> TV.

What about having TV connected to HDMI (i.e. native DP via on-board DP to HDMI adapter) and AV receiver connected to DVI (i.e. native HDMI via external DVI -> HDMI adapter)?

Thanks for clarification!
(2016-12-15, 17:51)honcho Wrote: .0001% chance it works. I wouldn't bother testing man, just buy a new reciever.

Why wouldn't it? These are technically two independent ports, should be able to run at different timings and different versions of HDMI and HDCP based on the handshake with receiving device.
Yes, I mean Board->AVR->TV

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk
(2016-12-15, 14:00)flyingernst Wrote: NO x86 device, NO OS (Linux or Windows) has an 10bit oder 12bit video output. Whatever you decode, output ist maximum 4:4:4 8bit.

Are you specifically talking about video decoder output, or about video/gpu output to display in general? A year ago I could output YCbCr 444@10bpp from my nVidia GTX 970 when I was testing certain LG monitor. Another matter was I didn't have any 10bpp-enabled software at that time to test if it really worked. My understanding is that software has to use 10bpp-specific DirectX surfaces to be able to use 10bpp depth, which kinda makes sense. No idea though if the output from HW video decoder (H264, HEVC, VP9...) is capped at 8bpp even for 10bpp source. Maybe it is, but it doesn't make much sense. I'd expect that if you create proper 10bpp target surface for the decoder, then it should render 10bpp source in 10bpp depth.

Edit: just did a quick test with my current PC and it's showing 10bpp whole way up to the display surface, which is only 8bpp, because my current display is only 8bpp.
Screenshot: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9162...enshot.png

I don't have time going through the hassle of hooking the PC to TV at the moment to see how it would look like with 10bpp video mode selected at nVidia control panel, but I suppose I'd then see whole path from decoder to display as 10bpp. What exactly do you mean by saying that whatever I decode, output is maximum 8bit? And sorry for highjacking this thread with nVidia-specific data. I'm not sure if the statement "NO x86 device, NO OS (Linux or Windows) has an 10bit oder 12bit video output" was generic, or only related to Apollo Lake.
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Apollo Lake9