• 57(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2016-12-14, 18:23)wesk05 Wrote: @hdmkv: post#1 - Minix U1 only has S905 SoC. It doesn't have Dolby or DTS hardware decoder.

But Dolby and dts works ,in first post I don't see any budget box Wink
What wesk05 is saying is that the U1 is not a S905-H but a vanilla S905 AMlogic SoC.

Yes you can Passthrough DD & DTS audio with Android Kodi for your AVR to decode, but try decoding it actually on the U1 hardware and you will run into issues. You need proper DD + DTS audio licences that only come with the S905-H SoC's to achieve that in Android.

Actually, hardware audio decoder is irrelevant as far as Kodi is concerned. Kodi's AudioEngine is a software decoder. Hardware decoder matters only for apps that can actually use it. I am not sure how many Android apps utilize the hardware audio decoder. The default Movie Player can. MX Player and WeTek app may also use it.

I am not sure whether there is a connection between having Amlogic -H SoC and mulitchannel LPCM output. Except for WeTek, none of the other Amlogic boxes have LPCM output which is needed even if Kodi is decoding.
But can the U1 even output lossless Multichannel PCM Audio from Kodi's AudioEngine after its software decoded ?
From memory I believe it could not just like all other AMLogic Android devices apart from the WeTek Core/Hub/Play2.

(2016-12-14, 18:23)wesk05 Wrote: @hdmkv: post#1 - Minix U1 only has S905 SoC. It doesn't have Dolby or DTS hardware decoder.
Thanks, fixed.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Hi, anything cheap on s905 or s905x with Gigabit Ethernet?
Appreciate any recommendation...
(2016-12-14, 22:56)snacky Wrote: Hi, anything cheap on s905 or s905x with Gigabit Ethernet?

I havent seen any S905X based devices with Gigabit Ethernet, they all seem to be 100Meg fast ethernet. The S905 based devices have some options....like the MiniMX V1 or the Odroid C2 development board but you will need to spend extra on Odroid to buy all the kit, board, case, EMMC module (if you want it), Micro SD card, power supply (or just use an old mobile phne charger), WiFi USB adaptor, bluetooth adaptor, compatible remote control, HDMI cable etc.... Easier and more convenient as well as cost effective to get a budget china box....no extras needed ready top go out of the box apart from a Micro SD card...
Minimal ODROID C2 = Board, Case, cheap Samsung EVO+ or Sandisk Class10 SD card. Maybe a power supply, but a whole bunch of old phone / tablets ones work anyway, like the old iPad1 one I use.
Then you can easily custom program any Spare IR remote you have laying around, using Lirc or simply use HDMI-CEC control. Need Bluetooth - I bought a USB CSR 4.0 one for $4. Really not needed once you buy a Wireless remote.

Cheap 2.4GHz only WiFi is frankly useless for streaming, too much RF interference and too slow, especially once the bitrate and resolution goes up.

In reality, superior Kodi GUI response is found on any Kodi Box when you buy a Wireless Remote control. Better still for regular Android devices get one with an Air Mouse function as well. Ones with a Mini Keyboard even better.

Wireless remotes make a hell of a difference to the overall enjoyment of any Kodi box. The MINIX A2 Lite one I use works with every Kodi LE / Android box I plug it into. Using Infra Red only remotes is like going back to the stone age. Smile

I really like the remote on my Q10 Pro. I have a Microsoft All-In-One with touchpad for anything else. I personally do not like these wireless remotes or Air Mice. Maybe I have big fingers, I do not know.
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
(2016-12-15, 11:59)gsmtech Wrote:
(2016-12-14, 22:56)snacky Wrote: Hi, anything cheap on s905 or s905x with Gigabit Ethernet?

I havent seen any S905X based devices with Gigabit Ethernet, they all seem to be 100Meg fast ethernet. The S905 based devices have some options....like the MiniMX V1 or the Odroid C2 development board but you will need to spend extra on Odroid to buy all the kit, board, case, EMMC module (if you want it), Micro SD card, power supply (or just use an old mobile phne charger), WiFi USB adaptor, bluetooth adaptor, compatible remote control, HDMI cable etc.... Easier and more convenient as well as cost effective to get a budget china box....no extras needed ready top go out of the box apart from a Micro SD card...

So which of the budget china boxes will have long term community support for Kodi LE? What good is cost effective if it won't have long term support.

I find the nice thing about the Odroid C2 is the eMMC.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
(2016-12-15, 17:19)winestock Wrote:
(2016-12-15, 11:59)gsmtech Wrote:

So which of the budget china boxes will have long term community support for Kodi LE? What good is cost effective if it won't have long term support.

I find the nice thing about the Odroid C2 is the eMMC.

Whats so nice about EMMC ?? EMMC is standard on every single cheap china box on the market, you have to pay extra for EMMC on Odroids...it's not even a feature it should eb standard part of the device.... yes the Odroid EMMC will be faster/higher spec than some of the slower EMMC supplien in budget china devices but it is also reflected in the price of the EMMC modules, Odroid have reduced the price of EMMC modules now, but they are still over priced.

Your right, long term support can not be gauranteed on cheap device...but does it reallt matter ? These devices in their current state play every format that their SOC supports and meet the playback needs of a lot of users out there, so , why spend more ...they are so cheap that in a years time you can simply bin the the device...and buy anoother newer more powerful device if you so wish..
(2016-12-14, 19:04)wrxtasy Wrote: But can the U1 even output lossless Multichannel PCM Audio from Kodi's AudioEngine after its software decoded ?
From memory I believe it could not just like all other AMLogic Android devices apart from the WeTek Core/Hub/Play2.

No, the U1 doesn't support multichannel LPCM output. It is limited to stereo. It looks like I was modifying my original post when you posted yours Smile
Thinking of buying a Mini M8S II w/S905X (2GB/8GB) as S905's are hard to find or overpriced. Too bad all/most S905X are 100M LAN as @gsmtech noted.

Re: 23.976 in Krypton builds, any idea when this is expected to be supported? If not for a while, I'm thinking of going back to Jarvis builds on my Beelink MiniMXIII.
My HT
(2016-12-15, 20:42)hdmkv Wrote: Thinking of buying a Mini M8S II w/S905X (2GB/8GB) as S905's are hard to find or overpriced. Too bad all/most S905X are 100M LAN as @gsmtech noted.

Re: 23.976 in Krypton builds, any idea when this is expected to be supported? If not for a while, I'm thinking of going back to Jarvis builds on my Beelink MiniMXIII.

Amlogic designed S905X that way.

What is with 23.976? Is this on Android or LibreELEC?
On LibreELEC... w/Jarvis, perfect 23.976, but on Krypton, it's output at 24.000.
My HT
  • 57(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6