Minix X8-H Plus - new user
Hi all,

I've tried searching the forums for this media player, but despite looking in 50+ threads can't find an answer to my questions, so I am hoping that one of you friendly guru's can help me out!

I purchased one of these players yesterday, with the intention of being able to stream music/video or possibly record to my NAS where timing is no good for watching live.

From what I have seen on several threads, there is reference to tvheadend and backend, but without having any prior experience with Kodi, I'm struggling to make sense of it. Is this a case of make a new install of Kodi on the device and then installing addons like you would with apps? If this is the case am I able to install Kodi as a secondary boot option and retain the original OS?

Thanks
(2016-12-19, 07:11)DannyBoy1974 Wrote: Hi all,

I've tried searching the forums for this media player, but despite looking in 50+ threads can't find an answer to my questions, so I am hoping that one of you friendly guru's can help me out!

I purchased one of these players yesterday, with the intention of being able to stream music/video or possibly record to my NAS where timing is no good for watching live.

From what I have seen on several threads, there is reference to tvheadend and backend, but without having any prior experience with Kodi, I'm struggling to make sense of it. Is this a case of make a new install of Kodi on the device and then installing addons like you would with apps? If this is the case am I able to install Kodi as a secondary boot option and retain the original OS?

Thanks

Why do you buy a media player that was discontinued over a year ago?
You will also not be able to run Kodi 17 as it requires Lollipop firmware and that device runs KitKat.
Minix doesn't update their devices to a next Android OS version, so be aware when buying their devices.
If I had been aware that it was discontinued I would not have purchased it

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-12-19, 08:41)mo123 Wrote:
(2016-12-19, 07:11)DannyBoy1974 Wrote: Hi all,

Thanks

Why do you buy a media player that was discontinued over a year ago?
You will also not be able to run Kodi 17 as it requires Lollipop firmware and that device runs KitKat.
Minix doesn't update their devices to a next Android OS version, so be aware when buying their devices.

+1, if you can return it for a refund and buy a newer box I would do it today!
(2016-12-19, 08:49)DannyBoy1974 Wrote: If I had been aware that it was discontinued I would not have purchased it

Sent from my iPhone (typie typie)

Return it for a refund
Purchased overseas sadly so no chance of returning it, which means I will just have to make do Sad

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-12-19, 08:57)DannyBoy1974 Wrote: Purchased overseas sadly so no chance of returning it, which means I will just have to make do Sad

Sent from my iPhone (typie typie)

I have one, it is a good box, unfortunately you purchased at the wrong time in it's product life cycle.

I think Minix deserve some black marks as they are still shipping this box, you can buy it today on Amazon UK, for over £110, buyers beware.
Indeed, I just returned from the UK. I notice that JB HiFi are also still selling this in Australia.

Bearing in mind I am stuck with this now where would be the best place for me to look for instructions to get the best set up I can please?
I have TV series, movies and music on my NAS which I would like to access (currently use Plex via my phone) as well as stream UK tv channels if possible?

Sent from my iPhone
Try http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...x-x8h-plus
To part of your original question... to record/timeshift live TV, you need physical tuners (e.g. USB sticks) and a PVR application - tvheadend is such a program, which forms the "back end" while Kodi then is the "front end". So you need a system on which to install this software and the tuners.

Depending on your NAS, you may well be able to install tvheadend or similar (perhaps MythTV?); you could also look to a small, low-powered system like a Pi3 running Linux, or an old Windows system if that's more your thing (other PVR applications are available for Windows). If you had a Linux-capable HTPC box, then it's possible to run Kodi and the PVR software on the same system - LibreElec provides tvheadend as an addon, for example - but that's much more difficult with an Android box.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minix X8-H Plus - new user0