• 1(current)
Solved Stuttering unless OSD is on
For the last couple of Betas (certainly 5&6) I have experienced video stutter (to the degree you cant watch it), UNLESS OSD is on.. Play a movie, it stutters.. display the OSD (any of them I think) and the video plays just fine.. Turn OSD off and video stutters again..

Anybody else experience this?
Alright, I have tested Beta 7 and still the same issue.. This time I have recorded what I am seeing, to make it more obvious to anybody who might be interested in this issue:

http://sendvid.com/embed/7bgugjqf

Again, play video without OSD, it stutters, switch OSD on and it is butter smooth..
we need your Debug Log
This looks like your display refresh rate is messed up. Try different settigns in Settings->System->Video-Hardware and Settings->Video->Playback. Change refresh-rate and vertical-blank-sync. If that doesn't change it to the good, it looks to me like there's something wrong with you hardware-decoder settings.

As said, debug-log would help a lot. For your own troubleshooting: Press the keyboardkey "o" while in fullscreenvideo, there you get all your decoder infos live.
Go to settings and look if rendering is set to hardware

If it is then set it to software
Alright.. I have generated a log file and uploaded it:

<Log removed as it makes reference to a non-supported Repo>

I have tried playing around with the various settings to see if they made a difference, none of them did.

Please note that the debugger always displays an On Screen Display and as such the video played fine.. I was unable to reproduce it until i switched off the debugger (and OSD).

Also note that I am running the latest v18 Alpha at the moment, but the problem still exists in v18a. I need to go back to v16.1 to have videos play correctly again without the OSD.

If you need any other info please let me know.
A little bit of reading:

http://kodi.wiki/index.php?title=Forum_r...acy_Policy

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=293117
@Gracus, Yes I take your point.. However I assure you those repos are not at fault here, it all works fine in 16.1, with the same repos/setup. ;-)
(2016-12-19, 21:52)runel Wrote: @Gracus, Yes I take your point.. However I assure you those repos are not at fault here, it all works fine in 16.1, with the same repos/setup. ;-)

I trust you when you say it was working BUT I try to tell you that you will have absolutly no support from this forum as long as all these addons/repo are a part of your kodi installation
(2016-12-06, 00:01)runel Wrote: For the last couple of Betas (certainly 5&6) I have experienced video stutter (to the degree you cant watch it), UNLESS OSD is on.. Play a movie, it stutters.. display the OSD (any of them I think) and the video plays just fine.. Turn OSD off and video stutters again..

I'm experiencing the same issue in Windows 10 x64. So it seems that this is not Linux specific.
(2016-12-19, 22:31)goodton Wrote:
(2016-12-06, 00:01)runel Wrote: For the last couple of Betas (certainly 5&6) I have experienced video stutter (to the degree you cant watch it), UNLESS OSD is on.. Play a movie, it stutters.. display the OSD (any of them I think) and the video plays just fine.. Turn OSD off and video stutters again..

I'm experiencing the same issue in Windows 10 x64. So it seems that this is not Linux specific.

As I have the GTX 1050 Ti -display adapter in my HTPC, I started to test and tweak different settings in Nvidia Control Settings to tackle this issue. As a background, in my case this problem is clearly related to specific combination of settings and video files played in Kodi Krypton, Jarvis works fine and also I have tested this in MPC-HC/BE with no problems:

- HW-acceleration is ON
- True Fullscreen in ON
- Adjust Display Refreshrate ALWAYS
- high bit rate material, especially HEVC-coded 4K

By setting from the Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D-settings -> Vertical Sync -> Fast this issue disappeared completely. As most of the settings are more or less related to 3D-acceleration, they are not relevant in Kodi-case. But Vertical Sync naturally is. As a side note, this setting seemed to have a negative impact on Live TV-picture in Kodi PVR but toggling the deinterlacing setting (DXVA/OFF) seemed to work. More testing needed in this area.

I don't know does this help at all the OP as I'm on different platform (Windows 10 x64) but nevertheless I find this interesting and hopefully helps in debugging.
Note that Kodi is 3D only!
(2016-12-21, 11:14)FernetMenta Wrote: Note that Kodi is 3D only!

Thanks for clarification and I really appreciate the great work of FernetMenta on the new and shiny Videoplayer in Kodi Krypton, actually this issue has been the only show-stopper from my point of view. Although I know that Kodi itself is behaving like a game-engine, I have assumed, that Videoplayer/ffmpeg would not benefit/rely that much on all those fancy more or less game-specific 3d-accelerated features. So maybe I should experiment more on those Nvidia-settings.
In general all 3D related settings refer to OpenGL and Kodi does render in OpenGL/GLES only on Linux. But you are right, many of the 3D settings won't have much influence on Kodi's rendering.
I've tried installing Beta 7 again to try (again) the various video settings in the Kodi front end, but still no joy..

Perhaps somebody could make me an addon which switches on the overlay, but displays nothing..? That should sort my problem and make the video smooth again. :-D
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuttering unless OSD is on0