v17 Kodi doesn't write to ext HDD on Philips Android TV
On my 55PUS8601 Philips android tv, I suffer a while with a HDD disk writing issue. Some addons give write permission errors, some don't, but today I've discovered no addon writes to the disk, although it says so.

I tried the back-up addon I always use on my Android tv box and Raspberry Pi's, which do write without problems on ext. USB harddisks. The TV doesn't.

Can someone give me a clue why Kodi doesn't write to a ext USB HDD on my Philips tv?
A file manager app in Android writes to the HDD without problems.
Because, by default, the only place an app has permission to write on external storage is the app folder on the drive.

So you have to set the write destination for Kodi to /your_drive/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-12-18, 20:23)Tinwarble Wrote: Because, by default, the only place an app has permission to write on external storage is the app folder on the drive.

So you have to set the write destination for Kodi to /your_drive/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/

I already did this many times. Other harddisks, I also tried an USB stick, tried it on several ports of the TV, but nothing solves the problem.
On another forum someone mentioned to add the folder "files" in org.xbmc.kodi, but still the same issue.

All the drives were formatted in NTFS. Hopefully this is the right file system?
I may be wrong but last time I check NTFS was not working with android

I think android is limited to FAT32 and ext

Maybe also exFAT if your device manufacturer has been kind enough to add support for it in the firmware
hmmmmm...... my drives are NTFS since I have a lot 4+GB files on them. And I can create files/folders with es file explorer or download and save subtitles next to video files on external USB drive. Maybe philips is different from sony in that also.
Stock android is really limited with file system that works out of the box (FAT32 and ext are the only one that come to my mind)

For other FS, your are stuck with what the device manufacturer kindly add

Some will add NTFS, some will add exFAT, some will add both and some will add none...

It's a russian roulette
(2016-12-20, 16:37)kinggo Wrote: hmmmmm...... my drives are NTFS since I have a lot 4+GB files on them. And I can create files/folders with es file explorer or download and save subtitles next to video files on external USB drive. Maybe philips is different from sony in that also.

Do you download it in Kodi, or using es file explorer? es file explorer works on my Philips. Also in NTFS. Just Kodi doesn't do it. Also not in Kodi's own file explorer.
In Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi doesn't write to ext HDD on Philips Android TV0