v17 Bug Report: Subtitles always rendered independent of settings
Looks like a JYK problem.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-09-17, 08:15)nickr Wrote: Looks like a JYK problem.

regardless if it is a JYK problem or not, somehow a .MKV file is being misinterpreted by KODI and subtitles are being rendered independent of the subtitle settings
(the problem is apparent across different OS distributions of KODI)
I agree. The file is not the executable code that is rendering the subtitles, Kodi is. If I have subtitles set to "None" (as opposed to "Forced Only") then there should not be a way for the file to override this. Also, the fact that it occurs with only some files indicates an inconsistency somewhere in the software logic. Since this is reproducible across multiple Kodi versions, OS platforms, and users, it seems to me there should be a bug report filed somewhere. Or is this it?
(2016-09-19, 02:51)elindsey Wrote: it seems to me there should be a bug report filed somewhere. Or is this it?

Bug reported to main KODI bug tracker on 16/09/24.
I'm guessing it is possible they have partially forced subtitles inside a non forced track.
We handle them correctly (eg showing the partials that are forced) but might not handle the edge case of the setting being 'None' because almost no bluray ever uses partially forced subtitles.
(2016-09-29, 18:17)Kib Wrote: I'm guessing it is possible they have partially forced subtitles inside a non forced track.
We handle them correctly (eg showing the partials that are forced) but might not handle the edge case of the setting being 'None' because almost no bluray ever uses partially forced subtitles.

What would the use be for partial/forced? Is this the kind of thing that would be intended for use in a situation where a part of the movie's audio is in a different language (e.g. Chinese speech in an English movie, and the partial/forced subtitles display the English translation)?

I would rather not defeat intended/useful behavior by having to use the 'None' setting. It is simply something that I tried to get rid of the undesired English subtitles on an English movie.
(2016-09-19, 03:44)thegooddoctor Wrote: Bug reported to main KODI bug tracker on 16/09/24.

Do you have a link to the issue? I can't seem to find it:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/search?utf8...ype=Issues
(2016-12-24, 05:06)elindsey Wrote:
(2016-09-19, 03:44)thegooddoctor Wrote: Bug reported to main KODI bug tracker on 16/09/24.

Do you have a link to the issue? I can't seem to find it:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/search?utf8...ype=Issues

As I understand it Github is only used for closed tickets or pull requests.

I think it is this one: http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/16929
I had the same problem some days ago (kodi 16/17).
Subtitles were disabled but they were shown on the screen.
I found out, that in the subtitle stream (VobSub) every entry had a forced flag, but not the whole subtitle stream as one. I did not know that this was possible at all.
With BDSup2Sub I could remove this flag and now everything works as expected.

For me it is workes as designed and the problem was the subtitle stream, not kodi.
(2017-03-03, 13:47)onkel_enno Wrote: For me it is workes as designed and the problem was the subtitle stream, not kodi.

I agree with this in the strictest sense of "as designed", but from a convenience and usability standpoint it is no good. I think part of Kodi's design should be to look out for streams that abuse the "forced" flag and ignore it in that case. It's unrealistic to expect users to take on the burden of modifying the streams themselves.

I'm also still curious why Kodi's behavior differs from other software such as VLC. Are they implementing checks for abusive forced flags, or do they ignore the flag entirely?
(2017-03-03, 20:34)elindsey Wrote:
(2017-03-03, 13:47)onkel_enno Wrote: For me it is workes as designed and the problem was the subtitle stream, not kodi.

I agree with this in the strictest sense of "as designed", but from a convenience and usability standpoint it is no good. I think part of Kodi's design should be to look out for streams that abuse the "forced" flag and ignore it in that case. It's unrealistic to expect users to take on the burden of modifying the streams themselves.

I'm also still curious why Kodi's behavior differs from other software such as VLC. Are they implementing checks for abusive forced flags, or do they ignore the flag entirely?

How does a program determine that a stream is "abusing" the forced flag? AFAIK, it is proper for a BR disc to provide a PGS sub with just the forced text included OR a PGS sub with the entire language included and individual images set to forced. BR player should work with either one. OP issue was with a BR that had been ripped to mkv. So if there is a problem, ISTM the logical place to look is at the ripping program used to make the mkv. Though now VobSub is being dragged into the thread (I assume though the logic works the same for PGS sub or vob).

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2017-03-04, 23:56)scott967 Wrote: How does a program determine that a stream is "abusing" the forced flag? AFAIK, it is proper for a BR disc to provide a PGS sub with just the forced text included OR a PGS sub with the entire language included and individual images set to forced. BR player should work with either one. OP issue was with a BR that had been ripped to mkv. So if there is a problem, ISTM the logical place to look is at the ripping program used to make the mkv. Though now VobSub is being dragged into the thread (I assume though the logic works the same for PGS sub or vob).

To answer your question, the same way a program would detect if a user is abusing the caps lock key: check for 100% (or a high percentage) of the content capitalized--or in this case set to forced.

Still wondering why Kodi's behavior differs from other mainstream products.

And why the "None" setting still displays forced subtitles--isn't that what the "Forced Only" option is for? None means none, Kodi.
OK but I would think the program would need to either process the entire stream and compute statistics on it, or employ some sort of adaptive control with look-ahead or look-behind which means the behavior could change over time without user input. I guess it would help to see more examples of these "abusive" forced subs to see how big a problem this actually is.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2017-03-06, 01:46)scott967 Wrote: OK but I would think the program would need to either process the entire stream and compute statistics on it, or employ some sort of adaptive control with look-ahead or look-behind

You have a point, processing the entire stream is not an option. Look-behind is a bit of a misnomer, because Kodi can easily track how many non-forced subs it has encountered so far without having to "look" backwards. I think it might be reasonable to conclude that if we haven't encountered _any_ non-forced subtitles in the stream yet, then the stream is abusing the forced flag. A possible exception would be right when playback begins, in case a movie starts in a foreign language or something. Look-ahead could be a solution to that exception.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bug Report: Subtitles always rendered independent of settings0