• 236(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2016-12-24, 18:55)noggin Wrote: Both? There are three :
DolbyVision
HDR-10
HLG

DolbyVision and HDR-10 are both PQ-based and used for drama and movies. HLG is based on Log Gamma and is the most likely to be used by broadcasters (both for live and catch-up/on-demand)
I personally don't think broadcast HDR will be a "thing" in the U.S. for the next several years. ATSC 3.0 hasn't been finalized yet and even when finalized the deployment will take time. What all this means is, by the time HDR becomes a "thing", it will be time to get yourself a new TV.

On a lighter note, HLG is not "Made in America". Our new President may have a problem if ATSC 3.0 adopts HLG because we have 3.33 HDR formats that are "Made in America" Rofl
Does anyone know anything about the new Zappiti 4k HDR mini player? http://zappiti.com/zappiti-mini-4k-hdr.html

The marketing spiel is certainly impressive and it can do all 3D formats, 4k/60 REC2020, 10bit, all frame rates etc. I see it has its own proprietary scraping software but I have no idea whether Kodi can be used on it or not. Is the RTD1295 a credible SOC for 3D? I used to have a player that had the RTD1195 and I seem to remember it was half decent at the time. I'm having a few problems with Kodi on my I5 NUC at the moment due to a recent Windows upgrade and I'd rather not have the hassle (although I will turn off the updates). This could be a set it and leave it solution?
Should be similar to Zidoo X8/X9S.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-12-24, 19:24)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-12-24, 18:55)noggin Wrote: Both? There are three :
DolbyVision
HDR-10
HLG

DolbyVision and HDR-10 are both PQ-based and used for drama and movies. HLG is based on Log Gamma and is the most likely to be used by broadcasters (both for live and catch-up/on-demand)
I personally don't think broadcast HDR will be a "thing" in the U.S. for the next several years. ATSC 3.0 hasn't been finalized yet and even when finalized the deployment will take time. What all this means is, by the time HDR becomes a "thing", it will be time to get yourself a new TV.

Here in the UK it's likely that satellite and IP broadcasters will use HDR first, though the main broadcasters like the BBC may also provide content via catch-up - as the BBC are trialling with Planet Earth on the BBC iPlayer.

AIUI HLG is looking to be used here as it requires a single grade and a single deliverable - so is a more cost-effective solution?

Quote:On a lighter note, HLG is not "Made in America". Our new President may have a problem if ATSC 3.0 adopts HLG because we have 3.33 HDR formats that are "Made in America" Rofl
True... However one of those isn't suitable for broadcast TV is it? You can't do live sport with Dolby Vision AIUI?
(2016-12-26, 17:34)hdmkv Wrote: Should be similar to Zidoo X8/X9S.

Yes, and the question is whether zappiti would be better in the firmware updates then zidoo. I'm certainly keen for the first reviews. I wouldn't like to change over and be a beta tester for dodgy firmware.
Realtek SoC's are mostly turnkey, so 70% or more of the functionality will be the same between manufacturers. But, Zappiti may be better on the user experience side of things.
My HT
(2016-12-26, 18:51)noggin Wrote: Here in the UK it's likely that satellite and IP broadcasters will use HDR first, though the main broadcasters like the BBC may also provide content via catch-up - as the BBC are trialling with Planet Earth on the BBC iPlayer.
AIUI HLG is looking to be used here as it requires a single grade and a single deliverable - so is a more cost-effective solution?

True... However one of those isn't suitable for broadcast TV is it? You can't do live sport with Dolby Vision AIUI?
What I understand is that the ATSC seems to be leaning towards a PQ transfer function based HDR to maintain compatibility with existing HDR TVs. That said, the draft CTA 861-G does include HLG. We will have to wait and see what happens.

I am not exactly sure of the limitations of using Dolby Vision for live sports and such events. My comment about the president-elect was not to be taken seriously Smile I don't know what he understands about HDR or whether he can influence the ATSC. All I know is he watches a lot of cable TV and he has a habit to tweet (about everything).
Hi all. As far as I can tell, this seems to be the place for 3D MVC troubleshooting.

I'm using the 22-December-2016 Windows MVC build of Kodi to play back rips with MVC data that I've made with MakeMKV 1.10.4. My problem is that while Kodi's UI is showing up in 3D, the movie itself is showing up in 2D.

My setup is a Windows 10 PC with a GeForce GTX 970, an Oculus Rift, and using Bigscreen and/or Virtual Desktop for viewing. The Rift part of the pipeline shouldn't add any real complexity to the problem, as in this case the virtual desktop software is just taking the regular SBS output made by Kodi and doing all of the VR work on top of that.

Kodi's UI is set to SBS mode, and as I mentioned, showing up properly in 3D. For playback, the option for decoding 3D data from the movie stream is enabled, and I've tried both "ask me" and "Side By Side" for the 3D playback setting, with identical results.

Not sure why Kodi is decoding/displaying identical L/R views for the movie.

I do know that the .mkv file has the MVC video stream included in it, since Stereoscopic Player is able to decode and display the movie properly for SBS playback. For reference, the movie is The Force Awakens from the 3D edition.

Thanks for any help, and if I'm barking up the wrong thread, just let me know! Happy to provide logs if needed.
(2017-01-02, 02:15)CyberWilhelm Wrote: Hi all. As far as I can tell, this seems to be the place for 3D MVC troubleshooting.

I'm using the 22-December-2016 Windows MVC build of Kodi to play back rips with MVC data that I've made with MakeMKV 1.10.4. My problem is that while Kodi's UI is showing up in 3D, the movie itself is showing up in 2D.

My setup is a Windows 10 PC with a GeForce GTX 970, an Oculus Rift, and using Bigscreen and/or Virtual Desktop for viewing. The Rift part of the pipeline shouldn't add any real complexity to the problem, as in this case the virtual desktop software is just taking the regular SBS output made by Kodi and doing all of the VR work on top of that.

Kodi's UI is set to SBS mode, and as I mentioned, showing up properly in 3D. For playback, the option for decoding 3D data from the movie stream is enabled, and I've tried both "ask me" and "Side By Side" for the 3D playback setting, with identical results.

I do know that the .mkv file has the MVC video stream included in it, since Stereoscopic Player is able to decode and display the movie properly for SBS playback. For reference, the movie is The Force Awakens from the 3D edition.

Thanks for any help, and if I'm barking up the wrong thread, just let me know! Happy to provide logs if needed.

Actually, you would be best served in this forum: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=266316
Follow the setup instructions exactly as in the first post. Output should be "Hardware Based" not SBS - if you don't have an option for hardware based, your hardware is either not supported or your drivers don't support it.
(2017-01-02, 03:55)woronczak Wrote:
(2017-01-02, 02:15)CyberWilhelm Wrote: Hi all. As far as I can tell, this seems to be the place for 3D MVC troubleshooting.

Actually, you would be best served in this forum: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=266316
Follow the setup instructions exactly as in the first post. Output should be "Hardware Based" not SBS - if you don't have an option for hardware based, your hardware is either not supported or your drivers don't support it.
Set the refresh rate to 60hz, I didn't see the hardware based option till I changed it from the default 29hz to 60hz on my i3 Kaby Lake Beebox.

Sent from my HTC 10
(2017-01-02, 05:04)fmedrano1977 Wrote:
(2017-01-02, 03:55)woronczak Wrote: Actually, you would be best served in this forum: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=266316
Set the refresh rate to 60hz, I didn't see the hardware based option till I changed it from the default 29hz to 60hz on my i3 Kaby Lake Beebox.

Sent from my HTC 10 (typie typie)

Thanks, I'll try posting over there. Hopefully they won't be too annoyed since it seems to be a thread for Intel NUC hardware.

Essentially I can get everything working exactly how I want it, except that Kodi is outputting the same frame to each eye in the SBS view. Setting the display mode to Hardware doesn't really make sense in this case, since what's happening conceptually is the VR app is taking a screen shot of the desktop, splitting it in half, and sending one half to each eye within the 3D environment, which makes SBS the appropriate setting. I did try to use that option anyway, but it doesn't appear for me (and the refresh rate adjustment is disabled).

Many thanks for the suggestions, though, and the pointer to the other topic!
[Zidoo X8/X9S]
had anyone tested the new Beta firmware with MKV/MVC support? Does it work?
Yes, see here.
My HT
(2017-01-02, 17:26)hdmkv Wrote: Yes, see here.

OK, sounds not good, MKV/MVC seems to be broken.
@hdmkv have you installed the Nougat firmware on your Himedia player (2.0.1 due out soon too) and is there anything in it to make you update your summary on Page 1 of this thread?
  • 236(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17