• 36(current)
Intel Apollo Lake
I have a completely different problem. On this new 8k monitor I don't see the taskbar:

First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-01-04, 13:14)oo.viper.oo Wrote:
(2017-01-04, 01:32)flyingernst Wrote: Is there a cause for Windows beside frame packing?!

Not for Kodi alone, but if you want to share the platform for other Windows-specific tasks, then yes... for instance I have consolidated all my 24/7 uptime devices to a single device that happens to be the ASRock Apollo Lake box siting under the TV and being a Windows domain controller, NAS, few other tasks and coincidently also a backup Kodi box (for stuff that doesn't work directly on Android TV's Kodi) and MPC-BE box. It's directly attached to AVR and TV via separate cables so I have no problem with high def audio. The only small problem I have found so far is that the current Windoze driver seems to use 8 bpc decoding buffer for 10 bpc videos. But again, no big issue as the 10 bpc content I have at this moment runs well directly on the TV's Kodi. So I can only wait and look forward to Intel fixing the Windoze driver.

Out of curiosity can you go into more detail? Did you virtualize servers to run the domain controller etc on Apollo Lake using a bare metal hypervisor?
(2017-01-05, 21:27)fritsch Wrote: I have a completely different problem. On this new 8k monitor I don't see the taskbar:

RoflRofl
Hehehe, at least one got the joke :-) (not my screen obviously)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-01-06, 15:59)fritsch Wrote: Hehehe, at least one got the joke :-) (not my screen obviously)
Wink

(2016-12-31, 15:03)fritsch Wrote: I skip that one - as I never liked how it worked. Using a harmony remote without any issues, including power off / on and so on.
How do you realize the power on/off via harmony? You are using the asrock board, right? Does it have a CIR that can cold-boot the device?
you need a RC6 compatible USB adapter.
Bios support wake up via USB Smile
Living Room: ASRock J3455 , 8GB RAM, Sandisk SSD 120GB, LibreELEC Testbuild,- Pioneer VSX-930 - Sony KD-65XD7505
Test HDR Setup: Bqeel M9Cmax (S905X 2GB RAM, 16G Flash) LibreElec HDR 10Bit Build Test6 from johngalt
R.I.P. DAD: 17.06.1952 - 21.01.2017
true workig also for me Smile cold boot and navigation in bios (IR reciver from ZOTAC ID42 usb)
thank you @sunnyfunny and @piotrasd for the info! Didn't know that Smile. Sounds pretty great!
I recently ordered components for an Apollo Lake based HTPC (Thanks @fritsch for the suggestions! Really love the case from what I could see online, went for the J3455 board because of the decreasing power efficiency of the J4205 according to this test: http://www.technikaffe.de/anleitung-396-...or_im_test ).

What's the recommended course of action to move my LibreELEC installation to the new machine coming from an ION1 system? Full backup, fresh LE installation on the new hardware and finally a backup import? Or just a library backup/import because of the hardware changes? The OS would not adapt to the new hardware while booting from the the SSD I currently have in use I assume??

Thanks in advance four your advice.
(2017-01-09, 17:11)kekomat Wrote: I recently ordered components for an Apollo Lake based HTPC (Thanks @fritsch for the suggestions! Really love the case from what I could see online, went for the J3455 board because of the decreasing power efficiency of the J4205 according to this test: http://www.technikaffe.de/anleitung-396-...or_im_test).

What's the recommended course of action to move my LibreELEC installation to the new machine coming from an ION1 system? Full backup, fresh LE installation on the new hardware and finally a backup import? Or just a library backup/import because of the hardware changes? The OS would not adapt to the new hardware while booting from the the SSD I currently have in use I assume??

Thanks in advance four your advice.

Idle power usage is identical between the two and there is only a 5W difference under load, but either way there is not much difference in performance.

I would do a fresh install and restore as little as possible, so just the library. Much less likely to have any issues.
(2017-01-09, 17:11)kekomat Wrote: Full backup, fresh LE installation on the new hardware and finally a backup import?

This is what I would do.

(2017-01-09, 17:11)kekomat Wrote: Or just a library backup/import because of the hardware changes? The OS would not adapt to the new hardware while booting from the the SSD I currently have in use I assume??

Not sure what you're trying to say here.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2017-01-09, 21:08)Milhouse Wrote:
(2017-01-09, 17:11)kekomat Wrote: Full backup, fresh LE installation on the new hardware and finally a backup import?

This is what I would do.

(2017-01-09, 17:11)kekomat Wrote: Or just a library backup/import because of the hardware changes? The OS would not adapt to the new hardware while booting from the the SSD I currently have in use I assume??

I did a similar migration last weekend. Replaced an old baytrail J1900 build with a J4205, new memory and case, and moved over other components, including SSD with OS and apps including Kodi. In my case, this was a Fedora 25 Server install + Kodi krypton RC3 (master) and a bunch of python scripts, databases etc

It worked perfectly in the end but it took some troubleshooting to get the initial boot to work, and then some tweaking.

Some pointers that may save somebody some time.

- if your old install was not UEFI-based (mine wasn't), in the J4205 BIOS you need to enable "CSM" mode, which brings up three new options related to PXE Boot, Display and Storage. Here you need to set the Storage one to "Do Not Launch" and leave the other two in Legacy (default). Otherwise, in my case, the system is unable to boot.

- better to put away (rename) xorg.conf if you had one; at least with Fedora 25 it wasn't needed and Fedora automatically uses whatever display is available

- if you had scripts using XRANDR, the output names change to HDMI-2 (the DVI connector) and DP-1 (the HDMI connector), need to adjust accordingly.

- systemd journal was flooded with warnings related to HPET; there is an HPET enable/disable config option in BIOS, disabling it makes all warnings go away.

- I had an old non-4K-capable Denon receiver that was working fine with the J1900 (1080p), no issues at all; however with the J4205, dmesg was showing EDID errors (invalid block 0, and then some random number) and the HDMI connections did not come up. I tried some different settings on the receiver (my setup was pretty simple, no CEC nor any fancy configuration) but no luck. Connecting the J4205 directly to a 4K TV worked fine but I needed HDMI to the receiver to get high definition audio to work (hence TOSLINK/SPDIF was not an option). I ended up upgrading my receiver to a 2016 model and no issues.

For now I'm using the DVI output with a DVI > HDMI connector and getting 4K/30fps on my TV. Hoping that in the near future we will be able to get audio from the HDMI connector too - and have 4K/60fps

I'm very impressed with the performance of the J4205, comprared with J1900.

Side commennt - enabling MPEG DASH on krypton, I could get 4K youtube video to work (quite impressive), but noticed the codec (displayed in the new codec window) shows up as hardware-accelerated H264 not VP9 as I expected. Wondering why.
(2017-01-09, 21:45)htpcero Wrote:

This is what I would do.

I did a similar migration last weekend. Replaced an old baytrail J1900 build with a J4205, new memory and case, and moved over other components, including SSD with OS and apps including Kodi. In my case, this was a Fedora 25 Server install + Kodi krypton RC3 (master) and a bunch of python scripts, databases etc

It worked perfectly in the end but it took some troubleshooting to get the initial boot to work, and then some tweaking.

Some pointers that may save somebody some time.

- if your old install was not UEFI-based (mine wasn't), in the J4205 BIOS you need to enable "CSM" mode, which brings up three new options related to PXE Boot, Display and Storage. Here you need to set the Storage one to "Do Not Launch" and leave the other two in Legacy (default). Otherwise, in my case, the system is unable to boot.

- better to put away (rename) xorg.conf if you had one; at least with Fedora 25 it wasn't needed and Fedora automatically uses whatever display is available

- if you had scripts using XRANDR, the output names change to HDMI-2 (the DVI connector) and DP-1 (the HDMI connector), need to adjust accordingly.

- systemd journal was flooded with warnings related to HPET; there is an HPET enable/disable config option in BIOS, disabling it makes all warnings go away.

- I had an old non-4K-capable Denon receiver that was working fine with the J1900 (1080p), no issues at all; however with the J4205, dmesg was showing EDID errors (invalid block 0, and then some random number) and the HDMI connections did not come up. I tried some different settings on the receiver (my setup was pretty simple, no CEC nor any fancy configuration) but no luck. Connecting the J4205 directly to a 4K TV worked fine but I needed HDMI to the receiver to get high definition audio to work (hence TOSLINK/SPDIF was not an option). I ended up upgrading my receiver to a 2016 model and no issues.

For now I'm using the DVI output with a DVI > HDMI connector and getting 4K/30fps on my TV. Hoping that in the near future we will be able to get audio from the HDMI connector too - and have 4K/60fps

I'm very impressed with the performance of the J4205, comprared with J1900.

Side commennt - enabling MPEG DASH on krypton, I could get 4K youtube video to work (quite impressive), but noticed the codec (displayed in the new codec window) shows up as hardware-accelerated H264 not VP9 as I expected. Wondering why.

With Libreelec the DVI > HDMI works with HD audio. I have the HDMI 2.0 to the TV for 4K and DVI > HDMI for audio to my Pioneer receiver which is only 1080p and have no issues.
Hi all. Are the NUC versions of apollo lake available yet ? If not isctgerr a release date?
I'm not too in the know with computers , I'm just but looking to upgrade me dn2820
Cheers
Thanks @everyone for the advice. Guess I'll go the middle way then and do a LE backup/import.

Sorry, I put two different thoughts from opposing points of view in the same line:

A
Maybe raidflex is right and I might run into issues while importing LE settings and such from my curernt ION1 installation into the fresh AL installation. In this case I should just do a library backup/import, correct?

B
Or would my LE installation maybe behave like a windows PC that is booted in safe mode after HW changes so that it can adapt and load the correct drivers and stuff? In this case I could just swap the SSD from my ION1 box into my AL box, correct?

But given your advice I assume A is not necessary and B not possible without running into issues (just like htpcero pointed out).
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Apollo Lake9