• 229(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
I'm currently using an intel NUC with SSD for Kodi, but this NUC model lacks h.265 support and I'm thinking about switching to Shield TV for my Kodi setup. All content is streamed from a NAS. Would this be a good idea? Or will the Shield be slower for Kodi than the Intel NUC (Celeron cpu).
From my experience, Shield TV is faster than a Celeron NUC.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I received my new shield and just updated to Geforce experience 5.0. Yesterday it was the beta version but today they released the full version. I am coming from FireTV's in my house and I have to say I've been impressed with the shield's interface so far.
(2017-01-14, 13:48)lapino Wrote: I'm currently using an intel NUC with SSD for Kodi, but this NUC model lacks h.265 support and I'm thinking about switching to Shield TV for my Kodi setup. All content is streamed from a NAS. Would this be a good idea? Or will the Shield be slower for Kodi than the Intel NUC (Celeron cpu).

You shouldn't notice any difference going to the Shield from a NUC. I'm not going to say that they are the same, but what ever difference there is isn't great enough to worry about.

(2017-01-14, 18:04)NEXTLEVEL5 Wrote: I received my new shield and just updated to Geforce experience 5.0. Yesterday it was the beta version but today they released the full version. I am coming from FireTV's in my house and I have to say I've been impressed with the shield's interface so far.

They didn't just release the update today, others that received their 2017 Shields have already reported that they received the update as early as Thurs/Fri. Your Shield just updated or notified you of the updated today, this is fairly normal since not everyone receives the update at the same time.

For the 2015 models the update won't be released until later, probably at least after the 16th.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-01-14, 18:19)Tinwarble Wrote: [quote='lapino' pid='2500672' dateline='1484394507']
I'm currently using an intel NUC with SSD for Kodi, but this NUC model lacks h.265 support and I'm thinking about switching to Shield TV for my Kodi setup. All content is streamed from a NAS. Would this be a good idea? Or will the Shield be slower for Kodi than the Intel NUC (Celeron cpu).

You shouldn't notice any difference going to the Shield from a NUC. I'm not going to say that they are the same, but what ever difference there is isn't great enough to worry about.

I do have it right that the Shield supports 4K/H.265 hardware accelerated playback right? The Intel NUC (Celeron) does not, so that's the main reason I'm switching.
Yes, i guess for kodi use shield is ok and will play everything (that includes 4k h265) - from what i have tried. As android TV - my experience is that it is not very good. Just try it.

I'm plex user and i'm mostly disappointed, i was here looking for some client server solution for kodi or something. Or if it can update library while in sleep mode and some easier to use interface for kodi, etc.

Native player in shield does not play many of h264 1080p videos.
(2017-01-15, 13:43)lapino Wrote: I do have it right that the Shield supports 4K/H.265 hardware accelerated playback right? The Intel NUC (Celeron) does not, so that's the main reason I'm switching.

Yes, supported features are listed here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228158

(2017-01-15, 15:20)evlo Wrote: Yes, i guess for kodi use shield is ok and will play everything (that includes 4k h265) - from what i have tried. As android TV - my experience is that it is not very good. Just try it.

I'm plex user and i'm mostly disappointed, i was here looking for some client server solution for kodi or something. Or if it can update library while in sleep mode and some easier to use interface for kodi, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by "client server solution for Kodi". If you mean use the Plex Media Server for your backend and Kodi for your frontend, then you'll need something like the PlexKodiConnect add-on, or the official Plex add-on.

I'm also not sure what "Native player in shield does not play many of h264 1080p videos" means? I've had no issues with the Shields native player playing any 1080p/h.264 videos. Though I am speaking from the perspective of the 3.2 FW since the 5.0 update is not available for the 2015 Shields yet. But if the files play in Kodi, then they should play in the native player.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Can anyone confirm if hdr YouTube has been added in the latest fw, or the 2017 model
?
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2017-01-15, 15:49)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-01-15, 13:43)lapino Wrote: I do have it right that the Shield supports 4K/H.265 hardware accelerated playback right? The Intel NUC (Celeron) does not, so that's the main reason I'm switching.

Yes, supported features are listed here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228158

(2017-01-15, 15:20)evlo Wrote: Yes, i guess for kodi use shield is ok and will play everything (that includes 4k h265) - from what i have tried. As android TV - my experience is that it is not very good. Just try it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "client server solution for Kodi". If you mean use the Plex Media Server for your backend and Kodi for your frontend, then you'll need something like the PlexKodiConnect add-on, or the official Plex add-on.

I'm also not sure what "Native player in shield does not play many of h264 1080p videos" means? I've had no issues with the Shields native player playing any 1080p/h.264 videos. Though I am speaking from the perspective of the 3.2 FW since the 5.0 update is not available for the 2015 Shields yet. But if the files play in Kodi, then they should play in the native player.
I have never seen a native player in my Shield. Where do you find it and how do you play media with that app?
(2017-01-16, 01:08)pameijer Wrote: I have never seen a native player in my Shield. Where do you find it and how do you play media with that app?

Install a File explore, like X-plore, then navigate to a file and then select it. The video will then open in the native player. There are actually 2 players, the native player and exoplayer which is what apps like Youtube use.
1. Is there a way to make shield render UI in UHD/4k? Or at least something less ugly that it does by default? (i guess it renders in 720p?)
2. If i connect shield like Shield > TV >[ARC] AVR - CEC does not work, but 4k/60 does. If i connect shield like SHIELD > AVR > TV - CEC does work, but i'm limited to 4k/30 and i'm pretty sure that Netflix 4k does not work.
- The HDMI 1.4 you have on your AVR is limited to 4K@30Hz Max
- Also your AVR having that 1.4 limitation will only have HDCP 1.x. 4K Netflix needs HDCP2.2 all along the HDMI chain. Shield > AVR > 4K TV

You can work around this by using a HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 Converter, like this Monoprice one:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15242

Shield > Converter > AVR > TV

Really if you want to do 4K correctly, you need a HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 compatible AVR. One that is know to work with 4K Netflix.

Due to the relaunch of the 2017 Shields, as well as the fact that since this thread was started much has changed with the original 2015 Shield and so the first post in the thread can be kept up to date with any relevant information this thread is being closed and a new opened here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304226

Please use that thread to carry on the discussion. If you have a post in this thread that needs answered, feel free to copy it from here and re-post it there.
  • 229(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9