• 11(current)
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
(2017-01-20, 20:27)Gusete1 Wrote: While some of us are waiting to get a full HDMI 2.0 path, does anyone know if there is any HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 1.4 converter so as to not lose the frame rate swhitching? Thanks
Blackbird 4K Pro HDCP Converter, 2.2 to 1.4

And you would be the Guinea Pig tester... Wink

(2017-01-20, 20:28)Gusete1 Wrote: Ok sorry I did not get to the update where this is fixed.
It was a false alarm! The issue was never fixed.
(2017-01-20, 20:30)wesk05 Wrote: Thanks for the updates Smile

1. As I mentioned earlier, I would have expected the new Shield to be released with VP9 profile 2 support. Since it hasn't, I will now be really surprised if we ever see that on Tegra X1.

3. It is not a good sign if nVIDIA folks are still asking this issue to be explained! There is a multi-page thread on this very topic on the Shield forum. It has also been raised by several people in various other threads. Some beta testers have also mentioned it several times.

1. I don't know enough about VP9/P2 to say either way. All I can convey is what was conveyed to me, which was that they were looking into it. I'm not sure what it would take to bring it to the Shield or whether it matters that the Shield already supports VP9. I also don't know if it matters that it's developed by Google and that it's a "open" & "royalty free" video format.

EDIT 2: I understand what you're saying, but I don't know that there's been any precedent for VP9/p2 before.

2. Let me rephrase, people at the top of the Shield development weren't aware of it, that doesn't mean that the developers aren't aware. If it's been reported then I'm sure that someone is aware, just not who I spoke to did not.

EDIT: But as I said, if you want to give me explicate details about the issue, I will make sure to push it on my end. It doesn't affect me, so the only way I can know what the issue is, is if others tell me.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-01-20, 20:41)Tinwarble Wrote: 1. I don't know enough about VP9/P2 to say either way. All I can convey is what was conveyed to me, which was that they were looking into it. I'm not sure what it would take to bring it to the Shield or whether it matters that the Shield already supports VP9.

2. Let me rephrase, people at the top of the Shield development weren't aware of it, that doesn't mean that the developers aren't aware. If it's been reported then I'm sure that someone is aware, just not who I spoke to did not.

EDIT: But as I said, if you want to give me explicate details about the issue, I will make sure to push it on my end. It doesn't affect me, so the only way I can know what the issue is, is if others tell me.

1. It has to be added as a hardware decoder in the SoC. If it is not there at launch, then it never will be. That's sort of what I have seen. Since nVIDIA is also the manufacturer of the SoC, this may be considered as "doable". Only time will tell...

2. This is not an issue that affects me. I have been only "testing" it. It is very simple: if you have the Shield connected to a newer AVR with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 port and then have the AVR connected to a HDMI/HDCP 1.4 display, Kodi/SPCM/Plex/Archos Video/ViMu Media Player or any other app that supports refresh rate switching will not be able to switch the refresh rate. The refresh rate will remain on whatever you have set in "Display & Sound". With update 5.0 there is an additional bug: you can't even change the refresh rate or color space manually.

I say HDMI/HDCP because I'm not sure whether this problem is due to mixed HDMI or HDCP modes.

Did they talk about GameStream HDR? It is something that they claim works, but the three people (including me) who have tried it have never been able to get it to work.
2. When I said it doesn't affect me, I meant that I can't even test it. Wink But I will convey what you've found.

They did talk about Gamestream HDR, but since it's not something that I use I didn't really comment it to memory. So, I will have to get back to you on it when I get the audio from the meeting and I have a chance to review it (if they send it this time).

That being said, someone else did bring it up and I believe what was said is that there are currently only 2 games that support it now, with more to come. But don't take that as fact, I was more focused on playback capabilities.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-01-20, 18:55)Tinwarble Wrote: 6. Difference between 2017 & 2015 Leanback Experience - There will be a minor difference between how apps on Leanback are displayed, between the '15 & '17 Shields. That being that Amazon & Netflix will not be in the apps section, instead they will remain in the Shield Hub row. Apparently this is because of deals that were made when the 2015 model was launched and Nvidia is still bound by those deals.

Does that mean that even after the 5.01 update on the 2015 Shield TV, Netflix app will be on it's special section like before?

Weird deals if that is the case, not that it matters much but I was looking forward for that small change.
Yes, that's what was stated, The Nvidia Games apps will move to the games row, but Amazon & Netflix will be where the Netflix app is now.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deals entail, but the good new is that my wife (who hates change and uses Netflix mostly) will be happy.
This may be more of a Harmony question than a Kodi / Shield TV question, but is there any way to add the controller buttons A B X Y to a Harmony Hub configuration? Because everything is bluetooth now there's no way to learn a new command so there are things I can do with the Shield controller that I can't do with the remote despite them both running as bluetooth devices. The hub's bluetooth keyboard mode even works, but I'd like to map the A B X Y to the physical remotes Red Blue Yellow Green so I can then make them do things in Kodi.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Since I don't have the new update yet on my old Shields I can't say if things have changed, but you can't with 3.3.

When the new update rolls out I will check the setup again, but in the mean time you should be able to still use a 2 device setup in your Activity, by adding a Windows PC into the mix and adding it as a BT keyboard. Then map you unused buttons using the keyboard commands. This is a list of commands you can use (should still work).

Then install the keymap editor add-on to map the buttons in Kodi.
Hi
wonder if you can help?

Just stepped up to a shield from a Himedia Q5Pro (well I think it was a step up) which worked flawlessly.

The problem I'm having is stutter and the picture quality is not as good.Want to keep the Shield but the wife has noticed drop in quality (never a good thing). The picture is quite dark and not as crisp as the Himedia. So I'm under pressure to fix it fast.

Tried turning off all acceleration but it did not work.

Equipment
Panasonic 50CX820b
16mb Shield Kodi 16.1
Pioneer Sc-2023
As to the stutter and picture quality, what's the source of your files. Mind our Forum rules (wiki) and policy on Banned add-ons (wiki).

Also, you'd probably need to post a Debug log (wiki).

As for the picture being to dark, our resident color space guy (wesk05) might be able to help you better, but off hand you probably have the wrong color space setting on either the Shield, your TV or both.
@obwiz

This was posted in another thread (by fritsch), regarding too dark viewing of movies....

In Settings, please disable "Mediacodec Surface"

So try that and see if it helps for the dark issue.
(2017-01-21, 00:57)Powerhouse Wrote: @obwiz

This was posted in another thread (by fritsch), regarding too dark viewing of movies....

In Settings, please disable "Mediacodec Surface"

So try that and see if it helps for the dark issue.

Perhaps you missed it. Wink

(2017-01-20, 23:53)obwiz Wrote: Tried turning off all acceleration but it did not work.
(2017-01-20, 23:53)obwiz Wrote: The problem I'm having is stutter and the picture quality is not as good.Want to keep the Shield but the wife has noticed drop in quality (never a good thing). The picture is quite dark and not as crisp as the Himedia. So I'm under pressure to fix it fast.

Tried turning off all acceleration but it did not work.

Try changing the color space in the settings to see if it looks better with one or the other, should be somewhere in the hdmi settings.
Anyone else notice that since the last update Kodi is shuffled to the end of the Apps row despite reorganizing it?
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 20188