• 25(current)
XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft
(2016-10-29, 23:38)bry Wrote: His business is based out of new Jersey.
thx bry
And i came to realize some hours later that Nathan sry natethomas probably has people making sure no one, "Steals" his and Team kodi's hard work.
I am still amazed on how big a leap 17 is compared to 15.2, and i love the Gui just wish you could add your own Menu items.
I noticed Programs was missing on Beta4 even though i had the TV Guide installed, had to go through addons to launch it.

So i could make a debug.log and see if i had any problems.
Well i hope you guys keep coming up with new stuff, and enjoy it, because 17 beta blew me away, amazing.
Thank you
I enjoy kodi a lot and appreciate the hard work you guys and girls put into kodi, in your spare time without a fee thx
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
You can't steal Kodi. You can only violate the GPL. Open source is cool that way. You can also violate the trademark policy, but again, that isn't theft. It's an attempt to confuse the public.
Bad choice of word, sry nate
I saw from bry's post i lost him somewhere in my text, and seems i did not make my self understandable in my post above.
Sorry about that, i blame my teacher's they should have tied me to the chair, and made me write, i will try not to p... people off every- time i make a comment.
I seem to have that effect on people the first time they see me post they hate my guts hehe, i am really a nice person i just tend to bring out the worst in people.
Sorry for my confusing post (hmm i seem to do a lot of apologizing these days, perhaps that is my problem trying to hard amend myself for my previous thread)
So enough saying i am sorry, i can't change my previous statements, even though i now know i was totally wrong, on 2 accounts.
Thank you for beta5 i do not seem to have the problems some have reported looking forward to release. Big Grin
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
Blimey! didnt even know it was an illegal add on....sorry
Hello,
I'm looking for some help from Kodi Management.
I have an ebay store with listings of Amazon Boxes that were taking down due to Kodi trademarks.

I want to resolve this and not disrespect the Kodi & XBMC brand in any way so Im reaching out to you to ask
what I can't do and can regarding this?

I've sent 3 emails now to take.down@kodi.tv with no replies so I guess you can say I'm lost.

Can anyone direct me on what to do here?

Thanks,
Your listing was removed because it violates our brand policy by altering the XBMC™ / Kodi® installation by including extra add-ons which are against our general brand policy and our piracy general piracy policy. Yes our code is open source and is free to download and use. However the mentioned brand names are not, and any one who want to use these must adhere to our regulations as stated on the wiki pages listed below. Due to this we have requested that your service take down your listing as it not only violates our brand usage, but possibly also the DMCA by pre-installing add-ons that provide direct access to content without payment.
For more information about our Trademark http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Trademark_Policy
For more information about our Piracy policy http://kodi.wiki/view/Forum_rules#Piracy_Policy
We will request your service to remove any seller that violates either of these policies and thereby also infringes our brand or good name. If you come across other listings that are not yet removed, they will very likely be in the near future.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2017-01-20, 21:43)bry Wrote: Your listing was removed because it violates our brand policy by altering the XBMC™ / Kodi® installation by including extra add-ons which are against our general brand policy and our piracy general piracy policy. Yes our code is open source and is free to download and use. However the mentioned brand names are not, and any one who want to use these must adhere to our regulations as stated on the wiki pages listed below. Due to this we have requested that your service take down your listing as it not only violates our brand usage, but possibly also the DMCA by pre-installing add-ons that provide direct access to content without payment.
For more information about our Trademark http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Trademark_Policy
For more information about our Piracy policy http://kodi.wiki/view/Forum_rules#Piracy_Policy
We will request your service to remove any seller that violates either of these policies and thereby also infringes our brand or good name. If you come across other listings that are not yet removed, they will very likely be in the near future.

One of my listings was taken down by Kodi as well. There is no contact # or any email that I can respond to - as I receive canned messages. You took down my listing where NO ADDONS are present. It's a regular hardware box with Kodi installed and nothing else. Following the instructions as per your site rules. I have filed a vero counter notice as this listing was taken down in error. Please contact me via PM regarding this. No brand names were even mentioned in the listing.
(2017-01-25, 21:39)onlineaddict Wrote:
(2017-01-20, 21:43)bry Wrote: Your listing was removed because it violates our brand policy by altering the XBMC™ / Kodi® installation by including extra add-ons which are against our general brand policy and our piracy general piracy policy. Yes our code is open source and is free to download and use. However the mentioned brand names are not, and any one who want to use these must adhere to our regulations as stated on the wiki pages listed below. Due to this we have requested that your service take down your listing as it not only violates our brand usage, but possibly also the DMCA by pre-installing add-ons that provide direct access to content without payment.

One of my listings was taken down by Kodi as well. There is no contact # or any email that I can respond to - as I receive canned messages. You took down my listing where NO ADDONS are present. It's a regular hardware box with Kodi installed and nothing else. Following the instructions as per your site rules. I have filed a vero counter notice as this listing was taken down in error. Please contact me via PM regarding this. No brand names were even mentioned in the listing.

Sooooo, how did we found your listing? Magic?
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2017-01-25, 22:56)h.udo Wrote:
(2017-01-25, 21:39)onlineaddict Wrote:

Sooooo, how did we found your listing? Magic?

Edit : When I stated "No brand names were mentioned" - that was regarding the add ons such as Exodus, etc. The canned email response I received from 'legal' specifically states that, that was the reason the listing was removed.

By simply typing in 'Kodi Fire TV' in the search bar and not being bothered to read the actual description of the item. I have dealt with many manufacturers on ebay and vero before - again if you want to take legal steps by creating business interference - then send me a phone # and your legal contact. As I mentioned, I took screenshots of my listing because I knew very well that you would shut it down without examining it.

I have not listed it as a 'fully loaded box' or mentioned any add ons at all. It was still taken down. Plenty of sellers are selling this with "XXX added, etc etc" mine was a plain vanilla install. Users can add add ons if they wish to do so - that's upon them to do so.
Straight from your website - "It’s OK to sell a vanilla Kodi box. It’s OK to sell a fully loaded box that doesn’t have Kodi installed or fully rebrands Kodi to something else entirely. It is not OK to sell a fully loaded Kodi box."

You can't remove a listing simply because the term 'Kodi' is used. Give me a break
Actually we can remove it. Or ask someone using the appropriate channels to remove it. We own the brand and we're obligated by law to protect it at the risk of loosing it.
If it (sometimes) seems we don't care about protecting our brand, its because we're all volunteers and severely undermanned.

Playing nice doesn't work and shitty sellers trying to make a quick buck will always be shitty sellers trying to make a quick buck. Not that I'm saying you're a shitty seller.

BTW, don't expect too much help from us. We tend to not like people earning money with our work without giving something back to Kodi or the FOSS community in general. It might be legal but that doesn't mean we like it. And since we don't make ANY money with Kodi...

Send me the screenshots to h.udo at kodi dot tv please. I would like to see them.

Who knows, you might be the ONLY serious/legit seller on ebay mentioning Kodi.
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2017-01-26, 01:18)h.udo Wrote: Actually we can remove it. Or ask someone using the appropriate channels to remove it. We own the brand and we're obligated by law to protect it at the risk of loosing it.
If it (sometimes) seems we don't care about protecting our brand, its because we're all volunteers and severely undermanned.

Playing nice doesn't work and shitty sellers trying to make a quick buck will always be shitty sellers trying to make a quick buck. Not that I'm saying you're a shitty seller.

BTW, don't expect too much help from us. We tend to not like people earning money with our work without giving something back to Kodi or the FOSS community in general. It might be legal but that doesn't mean we like it. And since we don't make ANY money with Kodi...

Send me the screenshots to h.udo at kodi dot tv please. I would like to see them.

Who knows, you might be the ONLY serious/legit seller on ebay mentioning Kodi.

My listing just got removed, again. No, you cannot remove it - I don't want to post legal issues here but you might want to refer to the Lanham Act. The software is open source, I am not 'selling' the software, or pirating it or modifying it and putting my design or name on it - heck, people can install it on their own if they want to! It's for people who don't have the tech know how (I'm talking about people who don't even know where the HDMI port is on their tv)

If you are going to take legal steps, then *check* the listings before blindly removing them. That's all. I completely respect and understand Kodi's decision to remove listings that belong to sellers stating things like "Watch free movies or tv online!!! XXX content!!" I get it. That's not the case here.

I will email you the screenshot now, thank you.
(2017-01-26, 02:31)onlineaddict Wrote: The software is open source

I think there is a bit of misunderstanding.

Kodi's code is open source BUT the name kodi is a trademark that you can not use as you want

So, technicaly, they can remove your listing not because you use the software but because you use the trademark without authorisation

That being said, it's now all about to know if team kodi had real reason to remove your listing or if you had just been a collateral damage in the war between kodi and shitty sellers

Just my 2 cents...
Moanbag is in da place!
(2017-01-26, 02:47)Gracus Wrote:
(2017-01-26, 02:31)onlineaddict Wrote: The software is open source

I think there is a bit of misunderstanding.

Kodi's code is open source BUT the name kodi is a trademark that you can not use as you want

So, technicaly, they can remove your listing not because you use the software but because you use the trademark without authorisation

That being said, it's now all about to know if team kodi had real reason to remove your listing or if you had just been a collateral damage in the war between kodi and shitty sellers

Just my 2 cents...

I understand fully - which is why I stated that I never mentioned extra addons were installed or anything of the sort - or that the device would enable one to watch pirated content online. This is the response (it's automated) I got when I emailed their legal dept at Kodi -

"Your listing was removed because it violates our brand policy by altering the XBMC™ / Kodi® installation by including extra add-ons which are against our general brand policy and our piracy general piracy policy. Yes our code is open source and is free to download and use. However the mentioned brand names are not, and any one who want to use these must adhere to our regulations as stated on the wiki pages listed below. Due to this we have requested that your service take down your listing as it not only violates our brand usage, but possibly also the DMCA by pre-installing add-ons that provide direct access to content without payment"

When my first listing was removed, I modified the new one and stated that only Kodi was installed. I never mentioned add ons or pirated content or what have you. Any online marketplace would be shut down if a manufacturer pulls listings simply because I bought an item, and decided to sell it online. Like I said, I have dealt with many manufacturers before, and they use ebay's vero tool as a threatening tactic. When faced with an actual lawsuit or a counter notice they can't back it up.
Many sellers use screenshots of Kodi with banned/piracy addons clearly visible, so check that isn't your case.

I am on the Kodi Team (as you can probably see for yourself.) If you want to email me nickr at kodi dot tv with some screenshots of your listing i will take a look. (Although I see h.udo has already made this offer).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC's Piracy Stance: Draft2