• 74(current)
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46
(2017-01-24, 08:52)MediaPi Wrote: odroid c2 killer?
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304856

More expensive - and not clear that it can do 2160/50p or 59.94p HDMI 2.0 output (or just HDMI 1.4) and it's Braswell so no 10 bit HEVC hardware decode.

The C2 does 2160/50p and 59.94p HDMI 2.0 output, and has no problems with 10 bit HEVC at this frame rate and resolution. Feels like this is a nice little, low cost Intel box, but not a C2 killer.
(2017-01-24, 13:05)noggin Wrote:
(2017-01-24, 08:52)MediaPi Wrote: odroid c2 killer?
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304856

More expensive - and not clear that it can do 2160/50p or 59.94p HDMI 2.0 output (or just HDMI 1.4) and it's Braswell so no 10 bit HEVC hardware decode.

The C2 does 2160/50p and 59.94p HDMI 2.0 output, and has no problems with 10 bit HEVC at this frame rate and resolution. Feels like this is a nice little, low cost Intel box, but not a C2 killer.

Thanks noggin Smile
(2017-01-24, 07:17)wrxtasy Wrote: Overclock it ! Wink
I suggest starting with:
setenv max_freq "1680" # 1.680GHz
That is with or without a fan ?
Don't want to burn my freshly bought board (fan has not arrived yet and I see the board gets pretty hot already without overclocking)
  • Raspberry Pi 3 - Libreelec 9.0.1
  • Odroid C2 - Libreelec 8.2.5 & Libreelec 9.0.1
Its why there is a dirty great Heat Sink packaged with the C2.
I've run mine for at least 6 months with out a fan, Overclocked.

With Kodi Jarvis - Software decoding mpeg2 and Software Deinterlacing used to really give the CPU's a workout and raise temps with no ill effects.
Running Kodi Krypton and Hardware Video decoding everything more efficiently, puts very little stress on the heat generating CPU's these days anyway.

There are CPU Governor idle routines, and thermal throttling routines built into the Kernel too.
The C2 is more efficient than the older Tech in the SoC of the RPi's because it can hardware decode virtually everything.

im running this one http://raybuntu.libreelec.tv/images/beta...a1j.img.gz how do Oc it? thanks
C'Mon. All the Overclock instructions were just posted on the previous page !!!! Wink

ok so i plug the otg in to the c2 and then plug into usb port of my pc? and is the line for the speed there allready and i just need to change it?
Please do some LibreELEC Wiki Self reading.

You are NOT using an Android box. adb and OTG are not used.

Accessing LibreELEC

2 Updating LibreELEC using the Samba shares

etc....

Got one last issue before I can call it a day and enjoy my setup.

Using a Lightpack and boblightd on my previous Pi3 setup, no issues. I've installed boblight for kodi on the C2, and it seems to work intermittently.

1. Backlight is fine on the main screens
2. Launching some videos will cause the lights to turn off (possibly h265 content)
3. Launching some videos will cause the lights to become "stuck" on the first few frames of colour = i.e. green/blue around the edges for the remainder of the video).

I've simply used an existing config from my Pi3 / LibreELEC setup, which worked great. Using the same addon from what I can tell. Same config.

Can anyone please help in fixing these issues? wrxtasy, any expertise here?
(2017-01-25, 03:32)wrxtasy Wrote: With Kodi Jarvis - Software decoding mpeg2 and Software Deinterlacing used to really give the CPU's a workout and raise temps with no ill effects.
Running Kodi Krypton and Hardware Video decoding everything more efficiently, puts very little stress on the heat generating CPU's these days anyway.

Does this mean there is no longer a need for software decode+deinterlacing of MPEG2 DVD content in Krypton? Have the hardware MPEG2 decoder and deinterlacer issues been solved? That's great news if true.

My C2 is an occasional use device - but I may well try it with Krypton now. (Raybuntu recommended?)
Yes Noggin, the AML Kodi dev. peak3d worked with AMLogic to sort out the timing and video sync and decode issues that we had previously with mpeg2, mpeg4 and VC-1 in Kodi Jarvis. It all just works now, Hardware decoding and deinterlacing of everything. :-)

As an example, there are 32 AML patches just in this part of Krypton.

Use Raybuntu's 32bit Kodi Krypton, as that also has pretty much eliminated the 64bit memory leak we had previously as well. Smile

been a while since I checked on odroid hardware (compared to RPi3). Can someone give me the reasons to pickk RPi3 over C2 at this point in time. I understand RPi3 is considerably cheaper but how much has the C2 caught up with RPi3 in the last year. Thanks
Just off the top of my head, C2 vs RPi3

C2 running Kodi Krypton:
- up to 4K HEVC (H265) Hardware decoding
- HD Audio Passthrough
- Proper Hardware deinterlacing vs Hybrid on the RPi3
- No need for mpeg2 or VC1 licenses
- Faster eMMC Flash memory available
- Faster CPU
- Faster DDR3 RAM
- 2GB RAM vs 1GB
- IR receiver built in
- GigaE vs 10/100M Ethernet
- Packaged with a decent heatsink
- Dedicated USB Controller, Bus bandwidth not shared with Ethernet like the RPi3
- Dedicated power supply not needed, even if Overclocked

RPi3:
- 1080p 3D Video Playback
- Mainline Linux Kernel if you want to connect all manner of modern Perhipherals
- Bluetooth built in
- 2.4 GHz WiFi (useless in a crowded RF environment)
- shared USB2 / 100M Ethernet bus with 11MB/s bandwidth limitations. Not so good for a File Server / Mini NAS.

Not caught up.
I would say surpassed if you don't need 1080p 3D and only want to playback media. Smile

(2017-01-26, 16:54)MediaPi Wrote: Can someone give me the reasons to pickk RPi3 over C2 at this point in time. I understand RPi3 is considerably cheaper but how much has the C2 caught up with RPi3 in the last year. Thanks

Some other points:
The Pi is a very mature, stable platform.
OpenELEC/LibreELEC have more than 10 times the users on Pi compared to all other ARM platforms combined.
The Pi is widely used amongst Kodi devs. AMLogic devices like the C2 not so much.
Thankyou wrxtasy and popcornmix for your detailed responses!
  • 74(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $4610