• 46(current)
Intel Apollo Lake
Im glad my LG OLED just worked out of box with 4k60 Smile
My only wish is Kodi being able to reduce resolution so can set it to 4k60 and watch 1080 and it switches.
Otherwise...You set it to 1080p and it switches to 4k automatically. Makes more sense since your TV scales 180p better than the Htpc
true
(2017-01-29, 16:34)flyingernst Wrote: Otherwise...You set it to 1080p and it switches to 4k automatically. Makes more sense since your TV scales 180p better than the Htpc

Tried -
While SS TVs do indeed have a reputation of good upscaling, the YouTube plug-in doesn't cause a "switch" to 4k and the streams max out at 1080p instead of 2160p
Another disadvantage of lowering the resolution seems to be that picture browser mode is also unable to trigger a switch to 4k, so high res DSLR pics get down scaled to 1080 and the upscaled by the TV.

Is the upscaling quality difference between kodi and the TV so noticeable to trained eyes?
Kodi's advanced scalers are too slow to upscale 1080p to 4k. And GUI scaler is bilinear only.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Does the YouTube plugin stream 4k anyway?!
Yes - via inputstream.adaptive
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-01-29, 19:12)fritsch Wrote: Kodi's advanced scalers are too slow to upscale 1080p to 4k. And GUI scaler is bilinear only.

Did some testing and I realized that yes it's pretty obvious that the Samsung TV does a much better job at upscaling to 4K than Kodi, so setting the GUI to 1080p/60hz is optimum. I guess I didn't do any comparison before since it's so obvious.
Also, for watching sports 60p makes a very noticeable difference, even the GUI is noticeably smoother.

On the other hand, with Kodi 17/estuary, the GUI graphics do look sharper in 4K (perhaps they now use vector graphics instead of 1080 bitmaps?) albeit the animations are not as smooth.

Other trade-offs of 1080p are youtube 4k streaming and picture mode. I guess manually switching the GUI to 4k for the rare occasion when that's needed will do.

Quote:HDMI2 4k@60 output also works. TV needs to be forced into this mode manually (my Samsung for example, see the backlog of this thread). For other models there exist an xorg.conf files to add the modes manually (also see the backlog of this thread).

@fritsch - are you referring to the DVI output (HDMI-2 in my build, HDMI 1.4 port) or the HDMI output (DP-1, HDMI 2.0 port)?
If the former, I'm not seeing 4K 60p or 60p modes listed by xrandr. In previous posts with xorg.conf modes that refer to 60p and 50p seem to be for the DP-1 port (HDMI2.0)
I do notice that I have an HDMI 1.4 cable between HTPC and receiver (but HDMI 2.0 cable between receiver and TV (4K/60p 4:4:4 capable TV). Bottom line I wonder if 4K 60p would work in the DVI port in 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 mode if I change to a 18Gbps HDMI cable
"HDMI2 4k@60 output also works" <- HDMI 2.0
(2017-01-29, 22:37)htpcero Wrote: On the other hand, with Kodi 17/estuary, the GUI graphics do look sharper in 4K (perhaps they now use vector graphics instead of 1080 bitmaps?) albeit the animations are not as smooth.

AIUI background graphics and graphical GUI elements are scaled but text is vector and thus rendered at full 4K resolution. (Unless there are now 4K skins?)
> Other trade-offs of 1080p are youtube 4k streaming and picture mode. I guess manually switching the GUI to 4k for the rare occasion when that's needed will do.

Update on this. After setting the GUI to 1080p/60hz & and then setting Video Player to "adjust refresh rate" (at start/stop), not only Kodi switches to 4K when playing back 4K content, also youtube streaming (w/mpeg dash enabled) triggers a switch to 4k resolution when needed. This required a kodi restart to start working.

I guess the "adjust refresh rate" label should rather be called "adjust refresh rate & resolution". Not very intuitive Smile

The resolution/refresh rate change takes 2-3 seconds, the screen goes black and audio stops during the process. Tried different "refresh adjust delay" settings but couldn't find a way to shorten (or remove) the glitch. Perhaps it's the TV.
(2017-01-30, 07:16)htpcero Wrote: The resolution/refresh rate change takes 2-3 seconds, the screen goes black and audio stops during the process. Tried different "refresh adjust delay" settings but couldn't find a way to shorten (or remove) the glitch. Perhaps it's the TV.
It's the TV and/or the AVR re-syncing to the new video signal at a new frame rate and resolution that causes the blank screen (and often a flash of the TV or AVRs on-screen display).

The 'refresh adjust delay' is there in Kodi so that you can pause playback for the same amount of time to avoid clipping content I believe.
(2017-01-30, 11:54)noggin Wrote:
(2017-01-30, 07:16)htpcero Wrote: The resolution/refresh rate change takes 2-3 seconds, the screen goes black and audio stops during the process. Tried different "refresh adjust delay" settings but couldn't find a way to shorten (or remove) the glitch. Perhaps it's the TV.
It's the TV and/or the AVR re-syncing to the new video signal at a new frame rate and resolution that causes the blank screen (and often a flash of the TV or AVRs on-screen display).

The 'refresh adjust delay' is there in Kodi so that you can pause playback for the same amount of time to avoid clipping content I believe.

Tuning the delay parameter I could get the audio stop/re-start go away, this helped. The smallest setting that achieved this was 2.5s. The only annoyance I noticed so far is with some youtube videos that trigger a refresh rate change some 6-7s after the video playback started, interrupting playback for a few secs, these are 720p or 1080p videos that start at 30.0fps and suddenly change to 29.97fps, seems meaningless, perhaps a bug with inputstream/adaptive. Only a few YT videos do this, others stay at 30fps and do not cause a refresh rate change (I use 60fps in the GUI)
Is HDR or Dolby Vision working on the Linux Build?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2017-01-30, 16:06)movie78 Wrote: Is HDR or Dolby Vision working on the Linux Build?

I tested 17RC4 with the official kodi samples linked in the wiki (e.g HEVC / 29.9fps / HDR 10bit) and got SW decoding (unwatchable), so I guess not. Actually none of the 10bit samples worked with HW decoding.
  • 46(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Apollo Lake9