• 82(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Fine means a LOT of different things. Users should not have to fcuk around searching for decent Firmware in 2017...
As an example DTS Audio Passthrough is broken on every AMLogic Android Marshmallow device on the market, except..

The IEC Audio Passthrough capable Mi Box and the nVIDIA Shield. Both of these can support IEC passthrough, needed for Kodi Krypton.

(2017-01-30, 10:21)viz55 Wrote: thanks for your suggestion. didn't think about the usb to ethernet adapter until you wrote it. it was one of my choices rejected due to gigalan missing.
Any comments for probox2 air and Beelink MINI MXIII (i already read here that beelink GT1 is the buggiest) on their boot speed and general?

If you want a decent Android Box do yourself a BIG favour and get a supported box that gets regular bug fixed Firmware updates.
One that runs a proper Android TV OS and a Wireless remote, it will be much, much easier to use Apps on a TV screen.

The Mi Box is nice and snappy due to its AC WiFi and quality eMMC Flash Storage. You are not going to get any faster, cheaper Android Marshmallow Box, one that runs the preferred Android TV OS for $100. The excellent Wireless Mi Box remote is the best I have out of 6 Kodi test devices.

Those cheap AMLogic Android (S905) Boxes should only be used for one thing - running LibreELEC Kodi from a SD card. You will get a real good version of Kodi Jarvis / Krypton then with quality LibreELEC AML Firmware.
I suppose no one has told you, that you will need to budget for a Wireless Air Mouse remote or touchpad Keyboard to use regular cheap Android Box touchscreen Apps properly ?

This is only 1 example of the many Gotcha's that come with dirt cheap generic Android Boxes.

thank you MB1968 and fracl11 i will seriously consider your comments
(2017-01-30, 10:32)MB1968 Wrote: I'm using the Beelink GT1 since a month. I don't agree with the negative comment about the Beelink. The Beelink GT1 works fine. Android starts up in 25 seconds). However you might experience green flickering issues on tv. I'm not sure if this issue has been solved in the latest firmware.

Talk about how to contradict one self in the space of two sentences.

Green flickering does not equal "Fine" Wink

Boot speed has significantlty improved since the latest firmware. 25 seconds includes connecting to my vpn. Fast enough for me. Kodi bootspeed is about 15seconds. That includes reading the movies and series in my library. I have no issues with audio passthrough (DD 5.1, DTS and AAC). Only a small issue with WIFI not being stable. However I don't use wifi often. I prefer LAN.
Windows 11 Pro
Kodi 21 - Aeon MQ7/MQ9 Omega Mod
Kodi 20.5 - Aeon MQ9 Nexus Mod

Android - Beelink GT King
Kodi 21 - Aeon MQ7 Omega Mod
Kodi Maven Fork 21 - Aeon MQ9 Omega Mod

CoreELEC - Beelink GT King

(2017-01-30, 10:45)wrxtasy Wrote: Fine means a LOT of different things. Users should not have to fcuk around searching for decent Firmware in 2017...
As an example DTS Audio Passthrough is broken on every AMLogic Android Marshmallow device on the market, except..

The IEC Audio Passthrough capable Mi Box and the nVIDIA Shield. Both of these can support IEC passthrough, needed for Kodi Krypton.

(2017-01-30, 10:21)viz55 Wrote: thanks for your suggestion. didn't think about the usb to ethernet adapter until you wrote it. it was one of my choices rejected due to gigalan missing.
Any comments for probox2 air and Beelink MINI MXIII (i already read here that beelink GT1 is the buggiest) on their boot speed and general?

If you want a decent Android Box do yourself a BIG favour and get a supported box that gets regular bug fixed Firmware updates.
One that runs a proper Android TV OS and a Wireless remote, it will be much, much easier to use Apps on a TV screen.

The Mi Box is nice and snappy due to its AC WiFi and quality eMMC Flash Storage. You are not going to get any faster, cheaper Android Marshmallow Box, one that runs the preferred Android TV OS for $100. The excellent Wireless Mi Box remote is the best I have out of 6 Kodi test devices.

Those cheap AMLogic Android (S905) Boxes should only be used for one thing - running LibreELEC Kodi from a SD card. You will get a real good version of Kodi Jarvis / Krypton then with quality LibreELEC AML Firmware.
I suppose no one has told you, that you will need to budget for a Wireless Air Mouse remote or touchpad Keyboard to use regular cheap Android Box touchscreen Apps properly ?

This is only 1 example of the many Gotcha's that come with dirt cheap generic Android Boxes.

thanks for your comments. they are very valuable in my market research. is it possible to tell me the actual boot time of any of your suggestions ? if i end up buy sth in this category will probably consider mi box (i guess you are suggesting the mi Box pro?) , wetek and minix u1.
(2017-01-30, 10:53)wrxtasy Wrote: [quote='MB1968' pid='2512091' dateline='1485765178']
Talk about how to contradict one self in the space of two sentences.

Green flickering does not equal "Fine" Wink

I should have said: :"The Beelinks works fine for me". Beelink has released several firmware updates, to fix this issue. I can't confirm if it is solved since I never experienced the problem. It's unclear to me why you label the Beelink GT1 as the buggiest Android TV Box.
Windows 11 Pro
Kodi 21 - Aeon MQ7/MQ9 Omega Mod
Kodi 20.5 - Aeon MQ9 Nexus Mod

Android - Beelink GT King
Kodi Maven Fork 21 - Aeon MQ9 Omega Mod

CoreELEC - Beelink GT King

(2017-01-30, 11:07)viz55 Wrote: thanks for your comments. they are very valuable in my market research. is it possible to tell me the actual boot time of any of your suggestions ? if i end up buy sth in this category will probably consider mi box (i guess you are suggesting the mi Box pro?) , wetek and minix u1.
I'm into usability, which means bug busting Firmware updates, after sales support, Wireless remotes combined with easy to use Graphic user interfaces. Confirmed Audio and Video features that actually work properly. Hardware that is relatively reliable and does not overheat due to poorly written Firmware.

You are actually barking up the wrong tree if you want speedy bootup times. I'm not sure why this has become Super important, its the last thing you should be concentrating on. Bleeding edge Tech Specs is also misleading with cheap AMLogic hardware, because without proper Firmware support they are frankly useless.

Also I hope you are aware of the remote control usability differences between regular cheap touchscreen Android boxes and the proper Android TV OS ones like the Shield and the Mi Box ?
Android TV OS is one of the reasons why the Shield is so popular - its a LOT easier to use with just a Simple Bluetooth Wireless Voice recognition remote.

You need to be using LibreELEC Kodi on an AMLogic S905 Box if you want speedy bootup times. My AML S905 ODROID C2 running LibreELEC Kodi boots up in 9 seconds with eMMC Flash. The Mi Box is approx. 25 seconds.

Hi Guys,
I´m second day searching the forum but got confused.
I´m considering to buy odroid c2 or Fire TV 2nd gen. I prefer Fire TV - i have Echo dot at home. but cant find answers:

Does Fire TV have dts passthrough jet, ans does it support CEC?
Thanks a lot
(2017-01-30, 11:59)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-01-30, 11:07)viz55 Wrote: thanks for your comments. they are very valuable in my market research. is it possible to tell me the actual boot time of any of your suggestions ? if i end up buy sth in this category will probably consider mi box (i guess you are suggesting the mi Box pro?) , wetek and minix u1.
I'm into usability, which means bug busting Firmware updates, after sales support, Wireless remotes combined with easy to use Graphic user interfaces. Confirmed Audio and Video features that actually work properly. Hardware that is relatively reliable and does not overheat due to poorly written Firmware.

You are actually barking up the wrong tree if you want speedy bootup times. I'm not sure why this has become Super important, its the last thing you should be concentrating on. Bleeding edge Tech Specs is also misleading with cheap AMLogic hardware, because without proper Firmware support they are frankly useless.

Also I hope you are aware of the remote control usability differences between regular cheap touchscreen Android boxes and the proper Android TV OS ones like the Shield and the Mi Box ?
Android TV OS is one of the reasons why the Shield is so popular - its a LOT easier to use with just a Simple Bluetooth Wireless Voice recognition remote.

You need to be using LibreELEC Kodi on an AMLogic S905 Box if you want speedy bootup times. My AML S905 ODROID C2 running LibreELEC Kodi boots up in 9 seconds with eMMC Flash. The Mi Box is approx. 25 seconds.

thank you once again for your time and your contribution to my search. The only reason that i focus to boot time is that the most common use of the TV Box will be to open it and watch in my TV the material i have in my NAS. With my Himedia 900a media player, neglecting the times that does not boot at all, the booting time is over 3-5 min. i tried all the firmware's i came across with no luck. So i decided to buy a new TV box. but when buying sth new you want not to be outdated after a month. so i got into all the details and spec to find the best match for me. i also have a very good Yamaha receiver that's why i am interested in audio pass-through. finally i didn't want to be engaged with programming or any difficult configurations/ workarounds due to lack of time so i rejected (even thought i loved the idea) ODROID and RPi3. Is Mi Box you refer the Mi Box pro or any of the Mi Box 3S/ 3 enhanced? And are all Wetek dual boot by default or do i have to workaround as well.
(2017-01-30, 10:44)fracl11 Wrote:
(2017-01-30, 10:21)viz55 Wrote: (i already read here that beelink GT1 is the buggiest) on their boot speed and general?
I own a beelink GT1 and love it. I have like 10 android boxes and i use this one all the time. something about it i really like. different batch maybe? or a better rom on it who knows..

When did you buy it, what version of software did it come with?

No box out there is perfect, but the GT1 is super fast and gets OTA updates
Hi! New to the forum and have a couple of questions that I can't find satisfying answers to anywhere. Have searched several forums and product pages and decided to ask you mediaplayer experts instead. Smile

I'm interested in either the Himedia Q10 Pro or the Zidoo X9s. At the moment there seems to be more problems with the X9s than the Q10, so leaning more towards the Q10. I do want a box that can handle 10-bit and HDR. I have read up on wrappers and think I know enough about them to know that I need them to get full use of external player.

My big concern is that I haven't found an answer to mounting network shares. The most logical would be that Kodi behaves as normal and keep the shares I set up with it and then just passes the video via the wrapper to the external player. Now, I see a thread in the futeko forum about a patch for persistent mountpoints, and that gets me thinking. Are these android boxes capable of handling big libraries with several different password protected shares, or would one with big libraries have to manually navigate each time to the right place in the library? What happens with scraping in Kodi?

I hope someone with knowledge can help me out with these questions. Thank you! Smile

// LowDead
@viz55,

Not sure where you are getting Mi Box Pro from, these are the Mi Boxes we are talking about: (Model MDZ-16-AB):
Forget about 3S/ 3 enhanced they are Chinese Domestic market only. No Android TV.

Mi Box - International version - Ships from Spain or China

Solutions Shop

Flashing a ODROID C2 SD/eMMC is dead easy if you can point and Click a Mouse Wink
It will work out of the gate. I'm not using any complicated workarounds.

Flashing ODROID C2

LibreELEC on the C2 will support a wider variety of Video codecs, more seamlessly than any AMLogic Android device running Kodi.

WeTek's have built in Dual Boot already. You need to follow and read all the info in the links in Page #1 regarding Mi Box vs the WeTek Hub.

Hi, I'm looking to buy a Kodi Player Box for my 4K TV.

Found the following box but not sure if it's a good one or not.

Kukele 2017 Fully Loaded Unlocked S912 Android 6.0 Marshmallow TV BOX Krypton 17

MOD EDIT - Fully Loaded Link Removed

Any Ideas or advice? not sure which one should I buy. My budget would be around $150.

Thanks.
As mentioned previously in the thread amlogic s912 devices arent the best devices to go for. Read the first post on recommended boxes. The xiaomi box seems a good buy.
(2017-01-30, 16:34)wrxtasy Wrote: @viz55,

Not sure where you are getting Mi Box Pro from, these are the Mi Boxes we are talking about: (Model MDZ-16-1AB):
Forget about 3S/ 3 enhanced they are Chinese Domestic market only. No Android TV.

Mi Box - International version - Ships from Spain or China

Solutions Shop

Flashing a ODROID C2 SD/eMMC is dead easy if you can point and Click a Mouse Wink
It will work out of the gate. I'm not using any complicated workarounds.

Flashing ODROID C2

LibreELEC on the C2 will support a wider variety of Video codecs, more seamlessly than any AMLogic Android device running Kodi.

WeTek's have built in Dual Boot already. You need to follow and read all the info in the links in Page #1 regarding Mi Box vs the WeTek Hub.

thank you once more!
here is the site of the xiaomi that i though it was the original
http://xiaomi-mi.com/tv-boxes/

i have already read the mi box vs wetek hub thread . very helpful.
i have currently narrow down my list to ones you suggest mi box, wetek hub and odroid c2
thanks again, your advice were very helpful
  • 82(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28