Kodi as a media server like Plex
I recently got rid of my HTPC and got a Synology NAS with media streamers.

I have an Nvidia Shield, FireTV and a Roku.
Since the Roku can't use Kodi I most likely wont use it much.

What I'd like to know is that I can run a Plex server on my NAS...But, I really like Kodi much more and have been using since way back.

But one feature I like in Plex is that with the server running on my NAS I can sync media across multiple media streamers and most importantly start watching something in one room and continue where I left off in another.
If I add movies or tv shows to my network then they are visible everywhere.
AFAIK there is no Kodi server for a Synology NAS

Is there any way to do this with Kodi with the equipment I have?
You can integrate Kodi and Plex. Or Kodi and Emby.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Since you have a synology, you can run a mysql server on it and use a shared library with Kodi. Just follow any of the various tutorials on that
I wouldn't count out your Roku. The MediaBrowser 3.0 channel is Emby which has a kodi plugin. and you can cast to it.
Box: Matircom G Box AMLS812
Kodi: SPMC
Skin APPTV
Connection ADSL(11MPS) , Ethernet
Game Systems : Wii, PS3
Cable Provider: WOW! (Wide Open West)
Media servers (windows 10 PC) Mediaportal, Playon, Kodi

(2017-01-22, 23:14)nickr Wrote: You can integrate Kodi and Plex. Or Kodi and Emby.

I knew there was someway to make these programs work together on a PC but I've never tried it... can this still be done just running from the Synology?

(2017-01-23, 00:26)tssgery Wrote: Since you have a synology, you can run a mysql server on it and use a shared library with Kodi. Just follow any of the various tutorials on that
Would you happen to have any links? Although I'm generally quite literate when it comes to figuring out software when it comes to this NAS and networking it seems extra confusing to me.

(2017-01-23, 02:35)tornicade Wrote: I wouldn't count out your Roku. The MediaBrowser 3.0 channel is Emby which has a kodi plugin. and you can cast to it.

Well, regardless the Roku just doesn't compare to the two Android boxes. I've had many issues with videos buffering even though its hardwired to my switch.... same videos never an issue with the Nvidia or Firetv. Netflix definitely runs better with much smoother control for fast forward or rewind. I have a Roku3... don't know if the 4 would be better or not.
Well I wouldn't get a Roku just saying if you have one you should be able to access your library with it.
Box: Matircom G Box AMLS812
Kodi: SPMC
Skin APPTV
Connection ADSL(11MPS) , Ethernet
Game Systems : Wii, PS3
Cable Provider: WOW! (Wide Open West)
Media servers (windows 10 PC) Mediaportal, Playon, Kodi

(2017-01-23, 04:32)tornicade Wrote: Well I wouldn't get a Roku just saying if you have one you should be able to access your library with it.

I can... with Plex. I'm pretty sure there is no way to use Kodi with it though. There is an Emby app for as well I believe that I think I've used in the past when I had a HTPC for my media storage.
(2017-01-23, 04:22)huttdes Wrote:
(2017-01-23, 00:26)tssgery Wrote: Since you have a synology, you can run a mysql server on it and use a shared library with Kodi. Just follow any of the various tutorials on that
Would you happen to have any links? Although I'm generally quite literate when it comes to figuring out software when it comes to this NAS and networking it seems extra confusing to me.
How to setup MariaDB (mysql) on Synology:
http://blog.e-nnov.fr/en/synology-dsm-en/mariadb/
How to setup Kodi to talk to MySQL
http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL
4x R-Pi4b LibreELEC v10 | Aeon Nox: SiLVO | Flirc cases
Storage Synology DS411 | 4 x WD RED 6TB
Software MariaDB 10.4.19 | Filebot | Ember Media Manager
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
(2017-01-23, 17:48)zerocool_ie Wrote:
(2017-01-23, 04:22)huttdes Wrote:
How to setup MariaDB (mysql) on Synology:
http://blog.e-nnov.fr/en/synology-dsm-en/mariadb/
How to setup Kodi to talk to MySQL
http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL

Awesome, thank you!
The Kodi Wiki comes with a warning >>>NOTICE: This is considered an advanced (complicated) and experimental feature Undecided
I'll give this a shot in the next few days...

Thanks again!
(2017-01-23, 19:26)huttdes Wrote: Awesome, thank you!
The Kodi Wiki comes with a warning >>>NOTICE: This is considered an advanced (complicated) and experimental feature Undecided
I'll give this a shot in the next few days...

Thanks again!

I've been running it for years without a problem Smile
Complicated to setup, but very worth it in the end - I press stop in my sitting room, go to bed, press play and it resumes where I left off.
My library is synced across all my Kodi instances -> add a file on any Kodi and it shows up everywhere!
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
It is not complicated to set up. The instructions are in plain english with code you can cut and paste. It works very well.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Installed MariaDB
Installed phpMyAdmin
Set user and password on phpMyAdmin
Installed Kodi 16.1 on my PC
Created advancedsettings.xml

Copied xml data from wiki
Changed host address/user/password
Added a video folder in Kodi
Had it scan the folder for new titles.
It showed the titles on top of the screen like normal
I got a Movie tab on the main screen.

Click the movie tab and instead of showing a list of movies it opens a popup... with the following
Movies ... gives me the list of genre/title/year etc. and none of these do anything
Recently added movies ... gives me a remote share popup saying couldn't connect to network server
Files... this will show the folder I added and I can go to a folder and play a movie... not using my local artwork and metadata properly though... but it does show poster art.
Playlists...
Video add-ons....

Any idea where I screwed up?

>>>edit
So I pulled the advancedsettings xml from the directory and everything works perfect.
So I'd say for starters maybe there is an issue with the xml file... if not then the NAS

Here is the file
<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.112</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>Kodi16</user>
<pass>*********</pass>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.112</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>Kodi16</user>
<pass>*********</pass>
</musicdatabase>
<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
<importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
debug log (wiki) please.

Where are your videos stored and what protocol are you using?
(2017-01-30, 08:14)nickr Wrote: debug log (wiki) please.

Where are your videos stored and what protocol are you using?

That's a cool add-on
http://paste.ubuntu.com/23893280/

The videos are stored on my NAS
Protocol? Do you mean SMB?
To choose my video locations I select the Windows Network (SMB)
Your log file is full of SQL errors.
Code:
07:08:00 T:7604   ERROR: SQL: [MyVideos99] The table does not exist
07:08:09 T:7604   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting videodb://movies/titles/
07:08:09 T:7604   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(videodb://movies/titles/) failed
07:08:13 T:5636   ERROR: SQL: [MyVideos99] The table does not exist
07:08:41 T:5444   ERROR: SQL: [MyVideos99] The table does not exist
07:08:41 T:5444   ERROR: SQL: [MyVideos99] The table does not exist
07:08:00 T:5636   ERROR: SQL: [MyMusic56] The table does not exist

Did you create the databases yourself, or did you let Kodi create them automatically?

Try running this in PhpMyAdmin.
Code:
show tables from MyVideos99;

If your result set is blank, then your databases are empty/corrupt.

Delete MyVideos99 and MyMusic56 thru phpMyAdmin and restart Kodi.
Kodi should create the databases and tables automatically so long as the user (Kodi16?) you specify in advancedsettings.xml has permissions on the SQL server.

Quote:Type in: CREATE USER 'Kodi16' IDENTIFIED BY 'Kodi16'; and press return
Type in: GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'Kodi16'; and press return

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi as a media server like Plex0