Reposted: Help with HDMI solution
First Id like to note that a mod moved my last post and locked it stating it had nothing to do with kodi which I was completely unaware I had to specify I was trying to stream this to kodi......

secondly kinda rudely done as there are numerous threads here with similar questions like this one just 10 or 15 threads down
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304370

Perhaps one could explain how my question is much different from the post shown above

Original post:

I am trying to come up with an inexpensive solution for something I cant find hardly any information on.

Ultimately this is all I am trying to achieve.....

Have my cable box output displayed in a window on my desktop..... that's it

seems pretty simple but its been almost impossible for me to do because I run into road block after road block no matter how I try to go about doing it

Ive tried to go the route of coax into a wintv card, but this doesnt find any chanels at all in any pvr I try.
WMC finds channels but requires IR.
Fake IR blaster doesnt seem to work probably because it was written for Vista and Im on Win10.
I have an IR device I can put into my comp but really this route isnt what I want anyway as I wish to control the channels and such through the set top box remote.
Lately Ive been looking at Game capture cards and devices but Ive realized that those too have hurdles in the form of HDCP.

So ... Basicly im asking for some kind of guidence before I spend money on stuff I dont need or wont work.

I am fairly certain this is not HDCP 2.2 as my TV is rather old.

All I want..... Is to input my HDMI signal from my set top box... into my computer to display that signal in a window.... therefore giving me access to the cable I pay for on my desktop.

I am simply trying to funnel all of my devices through my ccomputer and onto my desktop so I dont have to swap cables or change to different input sources on my TV anymore.

EDIT: I do not at this time have an HDMI input on my computer video card so a USB3 device is preferred. I am also Trying to retain HD quality.... Stepping down to SD is not really an option on such a large screen.
With NextPVR, you can setup a "HDMI" channel to represent an HDMI input on a Hauppauge capture device. If you use a Hauppauge Rocket, NextPVR will be able to work around the HDCP, without the need for extra hardware. If you're using another HDMI capture device, you'll probably need one of the HDMI splitters that remove the HDCP.

After that you can watch the "HDMI" channel in Kodi, or NextPVR itself, and see the output of your set top box.

That said, you've indicated you're not going to use an IR blaster, so this setup is going to be useless for recording etc, since the PVR software will have no way to change channels on the set top box when it needs to.
(2017-01-30, 23:04)sub3 Wrote: With NextPVR, you can setup a "HDMI" channel to represent an HDMI input on a Hauppauge capture device. If you use a Hauppauge Rocket, NextPVR will be able to work around the HDCP, without the need for extra hardware. If you're using another HDMI capture device, you'll probably need one of the HDMI splitters that remove the HDCP.

After that you can watch the "HDMI" channel in Kodi, or NextPVR itself, and see the output of your set top box.

That said, you've indicated you're not going to use an IR blaster, so this setup is going to be useless for recording etc, since the PVR software will have no way to change channels on the set top box when it needs to.

I was looking at the Hauppauge Rocket actually a bit ago.. It looked promising I just wasnt completely sure if it would work for what I was Trying to do due to the HDCP... couldnt really find info on it and was wondering if I would also need a splitter/Stripper.

Thanks for the info and Ill try that, just wanted a seccond opinion before I bought something else.

as for the recording, not really an issue. I dont do alot of DVR stuff I just was looking for a way to watch live tv while maintaining control of channels from the set top box as.... my wife... isnt very tech savvy and she gets confused easily when I change stuff. I figured this way, she can just open kodi and still control the tv like she always has ... and X1 isnt that bad of UI either.
(2017-01-30, 22:51)Sinmatic Wrote: First Id like to note that a mod moved my last post and locked it stating it had nothing to do with kodi which I was completely unaware I had to specify I was trying to stream this to kodi......

secondly kinda rudely done as there are numerous threads here with similar questions like this one just 10 or 15 threads down
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304370

Perhaps one could explain how my question is much different from the post shown above

Original post:

I am trying to come up with an inexpensive solution for something I cant find hardly any information on.

Ultimately this is all I am trying to achieve.....

Have my cable box output displayed in a window on my desktop..... that's it

seems pretty simple but its been almost impossible for me to do because I run into road block after road block no matter how I try to go about doing it

Ive tried to go the route of coax into a wintv card, but this doesnt find any chanels at all in any pvr I try.
WMC finds channels but requires IR.
Fake IR blaster doesnt seem to work probably because it was written for Vista and Im on Win10.
I have an IR device I can put into my comp but really this route isnt what I want anyway as I wish to control the channels and such through the set top box remote.
Lately Ive been looking at Game capture cards and devices but Ive realized that those too have hurdles in the form of HDCP.

So ... Basicly im asking for some kind of guidence before I spend money on stuff I dont need or wont work.

I am fairly certain this is not HDCP 2.2 as my TV is rather old.

All I want..... Is to input my HDMI signal from my set top box... into my computer to display that signal in a window.... therefore giving me access to the cable I pay for on my desktop.

I am simply trying to funnel all of my devices through my ccomputer and onto my desktop so I dont have to swap cables or change to different input sources on my TV anymore.

EDIT: I do not at this time have an HDMI input on my computer video card so a USB3 device is preferred. I am also Trying to retain HD quality.... Stepping down to SD is not really an option on such a large screen.

Your initial post was moved to off-topic. It was not locked and the conversation could have continued there. It was moved to off-topic because your post did not mention Kodi but instead was about capturing your cable TV output to a "window on your pc". I explained my reasoning in that thread and even offered an alternate forum that might have been useful. I don't believe this vounts as being "rude".

You posted in the Kodi PVR & Live TV support forum and I felt that it was not the appropriate place to discuss your query based on the information given. As you have now clarified that what you are trying to do involves Kodi I will allow this thread to continue here and not reprimand you for double posting (which is a forum violation) on this occasion.

I will also bin the original post in "off-topic" so as not to dilute any support you may get between two threads.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2017-01-30, 23:04)sub3 Wrote: With NextPVR, you can setup a "HDMI" channel to represent an HDMI input on a Hauppauge capture device. If you use a Hauppauge Rocket, NextPVR will be able to work around the HDCP, without the need for extra hardware. If you're using another HDMI capture device, you'll probably need one of the HDMI splitters that remove the HDCP.

Wait... lol I went back and looked into it again and remembered the issue I had with that.

the rocket seems to be sort of a pass through with a single HDMI input and single HDMI output. the usb SEEMS to be only used for power (at least thats the impression I get)

my question with this is how does Kodi get that signal? the setups I see are basicly set top box > Rocket > TV

how is the input sent to the computer? will I need to install an HDMI capture card into the computer AND if I do that.... why would I need the Rocket?
(2017-01-30, 23:51)Sinmatic Wrote:

Wait... lol I went back and looked into it again and remembered the issue I had with that.

the rocket seems to be sort of a pass through with a single HDMI input and single HDMI output. the usb SEEMS to be only used for power (at least thats the impression I get)

my question with this is how does Kodi get that signal? the setups I see are basicly set top box > Rocket > TV

how is the input sent to the computer? will I need to install an HDMI capture card into the computer AND if I do that.... why would I need the Rocket?
It has USB to send the encoded video/audio to the PC, and to provide power. HDMI output doesn't need to be connected, but is there if you want a no-delay passthrough to the TV. (ie, these devices are normally used by gamers, so they're watching their gameplay on the TV, while recording on the PC).

Kodi would get the audio/video stream from NextPVR addon, which gets it from the NextPVR backend, which gets the it over the USB connection to the Rocket.

Its worth noting though (for realistic expectations), you will get 2-3 seconds of delay from the video encoder device, so don't expect instant response to presses on your STB remote. This is an unavoidable buffering happening in device, and nothing the software can change. Same deal with other capture devices like the HDPVR/HDPVR2/Colossus etc (which only vary about +/- 0.5 seconds).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Reposted: Help with HDMI solution0