Kodi Dual Screen Question - n00b
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a n00b question. This is not forum I frequent.
I would like to know if the following is possible and if so how would I achieve it.

I would like to put a Kodi on a Pi and set it up with the Case for Raspberry Pi Official 7" Touchscreen and Official Raspberry Pi 7" Touchscreen Display. I would like to also connect it to a TV via HDMI.
I would like to use the touch screen as "touch screen" remote and watch the content on the TV as a dual screen.

Let me know your thoughts or if you require any further information.

Many Thanks,
CoZa
This is unlikely I suspect.

Whilst the DSI output (used by the touch screen) and HDMI output from the Pi are independent (*) - and you can run Raspbian's desktop on one whilst playing back OMX video on the other (though AIUI you can't spread a desktop across both), I don't think this kind of dual screen approach is on Kodi's roadmap.

It could be that someone manages to write an LCD Proc extension a bit like the svga one that would allow media playback information to be displayed on the touch screen whilst the main UI and video are on the HDMI output - but I haven't heard anything.

(*) The same is apparently true of the GPIO DPI output that let you connect TFTs using things like the Adafruit TFT Kippah, or generate a VGA output using the GertVGA resistor ladder approach.
(2017-02-03, 06:59)howcoza Wrote: Hi All,

Sorry if this is a n00b question. This is not forum I frequent.
I would like to know if the following is possible and if so how would I achieve it.

I would like to put a Kodi on a Pi and set it up with the Case for Raspberry Pi Official 7" Touchscreen and Official Raspberry Pi 7" Touchscreen Display. I would like to also connect it to a TV via HDMI.
I would like to use the touch screen as "touch screen" remote and watch the content on the TV as a dual screen.

Let me know your thoughts or if you require any further information.

Many Thanks,
CoZa

If you want a touchscreen remote you could just use a smart phone or tablet with one of the various remote apps for Kodi. Yatse is the best IMHO.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Many thanks for the reply.
Will investigate a different approach for my project.
(2017-02-03, 13:31)noggin Wrote: This is unlikely I suspect.

Whilst the DSI output (used by the touch screen) and HDMI output from the Pi are independent (*) - and you can run Raspbian's desktop on one whilst playing back OMX video on the other (though AIUI you can't spread a desktop across both), I don't think this kind of dual screen approach is on Kodi's roadmap.

It could be that someone manages to write an LCD Proc extension a bit like the svga one that would allow media playback information to be displayed on the touch screen whilst the main UI and video are on the HDMI output - but I haven't heard anything.

(*) The same is apparently true of the GPIO DPI output that let you connect TFTs using things like the Adafruit TFT Kippah, or generate a VGA output using the GertVGA resistor ladder approach.

Noggin - I have a similar question, only I don't care about the touch screen displaying when OMX is playing. .....so from your answer above it sounds like this is possible right?

Could you help point me in the right direction to do this? see below for a full description of what I want to do.

I'm also looking for a solution here. Mounted in my wall I have the Pi3 + touchscreen with Libre Elec and Kodi with Estouchy skin, the Kodi system does a great job playing music out the HDMI port to my amplifier/receiver, but I have an 1080p HDMI projector as part of the system and I want the movies,TV anything launching in the video player to be displayed on the projector (via HDMI port and the Amplifier/Reciever.

I actually don't care if the system 'swaps over' so that during fullscreen play back it is only output in 1080p and only out the HDMI port, as long as there is a way to return to the touchscreen display (e.g. by either touching it or perhaps a IR remote button etc) or perhaps just leave it active only as a control interface .

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Dual Screen Question - n00b0