• 57(current)
v18 LibreELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 18.0)
Hello popcornmix,
in #0113 the standby command works as expected with kodi running. I created a cron job. The TV switches to off at midnight and every hour until 5
Since #0114 it doesn't work anymore.
(2017-02-06, 01:34)MMXT Wrote: Should CEC work instantly after switching between sources without having to reselect kodi each time after another device has been controlled by the TV remote?

Yes!

Can CEC work instantly after switching between sources without having to reselect kodi each time after another device has been controlled by the TV remote?

I don't know!

It is rather important that this transition from SmartHub to Kodi and back works as smoothly as possible, because there is no support for Amazon Prime / Netflix on the raspberry for the moment, which means that users have to use these Samsung Apps interactively. While it is not exactly a showstopper, the un-ability to run Prime and NetFlix on Kodi/Raspberry is what is currently forcing the back-and-forth and hinders user experience (ie Kodi is not the unique source of media...)
I noticed that the screensaver does not (always) starts when playing radio streams.
Anyone experiencing the same ?
(2017-02-06, 08:08)RappaSan Wrote: Hello popcornmix,
in #0113 the standby command works as expected with kodi running. I created a cron job. The TV switches to off at midnight and every hour until 5
Since #0114 it doesn't work anymore.

I don't see any CEC changes at all in #0114.
Are you 100% sure that is the first build with the issue?
Short manual on how to get the emulation going (with tested emulators) and how to connect ps3 controller (via Bluetooth). Hope this helps!

Quote:1) install Milhouse Libreelec 9 Test build

2) Emulatoren-Addons can be found here:
LibreElec Retroplayer Add-ons -> Game Add-ons -> Emulatoren

tested / running emulators:
NES: Nestopia
SNES: Pocketsnes
GameBoy (Color): tgbdual

now either:

I) Access games via Internet Archive ROM Launcher (IARL):

1) Download Zach Morris Repo and install from zip
2) Install from repository > Zach Morris Add-ons > Game add-ons > Game providers > Internet Archive ROM Launcher
Within IARL, install emulators, launch games etc.

OR

II) play games local:

1) copy your R0Ms via samba - usually:
\\libreelec\Emulators

2) enter "Konami Code" to get the "Games" Menü - use a keyboard anywhere on the homescreen !!!!
Up Up Down Down left right left right b a

3) Now you can choose the section "Games" and go to "enter files selection" (couldnt find a way to improve the view yet)

4) Add your R0M Folder here and then choose your game to start!
Game Controller:
To play I would recommend a PS3 controller - works awesome for me - even via bluetooth on rpi3. I have no xbox so i cant try those controller... but PS4 bluetooth seems to be tricky...

Quote:Howto connect ps3 controller:

1) Connect ps3 controller via USB cable

If you are fine with cable connect - you are done Smile

Bluetooth (Rpi3!!!!) needs a few more tweaks:
2) start Addons -> Libreelec Config
3) go to Services and activate Bluetooth
4) now go to Bluetooth and look for your PS3 Controller, select it with X to open the drop down menu and select "Pair"
5) Now disconnect the USB Cable and the status should change from "connected: no" to "connected: yes"
Remark: if the ps3 controller find its playstation before it finds the rpi this will not work. So cut the power to the ps3 for the pairing. After its paired you can give the ps3 its power supply back Smile
As far as i can say the cron job did what i expected - mostly. After 114 nothing happened anymore. Tried up to #0130...
Thanks milhouse for the awesome builds! It's so much fun to play my old games on the couch with the ps3 controller and not to sit right before the TV with small cables [emoji6]

I have one small question though: can the Games section somehow be modified? I created folder for the roms and choose thumbnail: Image

It looks beautiful (to me) but unfortunately it is not displayed on the homescreen (as for example the TV/pvr addons or the movies or the addons in general), but I first have to open the file section (and it looks like other screens with no data). I tried to get the first screen on the home screen... Can anybody help/pinpoint how to do this? I unfortunately wasn't able to find a way!

edit: might be interesting:: savegame works perfectly with a gameboy gsme for me! Thanks for adding the save game support!
(2017-02-05, 22:31)popcornmix Wrote:
niwa2 Wrote:Has anything changed regarding ISO playback within the last month or so?
I was on 0224 and I believe ISO playback started much quicker than today. For example the same ISO used to start in under 10 seconds and now it takes over 30s for the same movie to start.

@niwa2 - you reported this long ago - are you still testing these builds? How long does it take to open the same ISO now?

I have not checked the milhouse builds since the new video db version was introduced. i believe this was sometime mid january.
On LE 7.95.2 it still takes considerably more time to open an iso-file compared to mkv.
I have a few 3D-iso files and they take about 25s-30s to open. Mkv opens almost instant.
I apologize for the long post, but I think today I found something out, which might be interesting for other people, who always have been unsatisfied with libreelec's crossfade between tracks and/or gapless audio playback in general:

I use libreelec on pi3 with hdmi audio output and I literally NEVER got accurate crossfading and gapless playback with libreelec until today. There was always an annoying little click and very short gap in the mid of the crossfaded portion. I wrote this twice before and that's been my prime reason, why I signed up to this forum (asking what is meant by paplayer being able to play gapless). There are many people reporting similiar things about gaps with kodi and never get a solution. Seems as if there just exist people who NEVER recognize gaps and clicks playing their audio tracks using kodi/libreelec on the one hand and those who ALWAYS have gaps and clicks (like me) on the other hand. Really odd.

Now for the very first time I got satisfying crossfading, even mixed between flac - mp3 vbr - mp3 cbr etc... And these annoying very short distortions which I had at the beginning of each track (independent to crossfade set or not) disappeared as well. Plus now my gapless concept albums (e.g. "Pink Floyd - The Wall" or "DJ Shadow - Live In Tune And On Time") eventually play gapless!

Here is what I've done:
I generated one ~9 second long 300 Hz sinus wav file. Wav because I wanted PCM as I couldn't believe all the comments in web, claiming lossy formats with variable bitrate causing these problems to be true. Yes, I know this can be part of the gapless issue, but some of my other almost 8 years old devices can play at least flac and constant bitrate mp3 gapless, while kodi for me didn't. I duplicated this wav file 9 times, put into a folder named "short" and added to playback queue.
I merged this wav (using cox) several times into one larger wav file of ~48 seconds length and then into another one of ~96 seconds length, duplicated each of these files a few times and put them into folders "medium" and "long". I then queued up these folders to kodi's playlist and repeatedly played the 300 Hz sinus files for almost 45 minutes (weird experience by the way) while I tested almost any single option of Settings -> System -> Audio and Player Settings -> Music
After I finally found out, what causes all these tiny gaps and clicks, I tested this alot using many flac, wav and cbr+vbr mp3 files.

Solution:
In System settings > Audio you have to set resample quality to "Low (fast)" That's all.
(For me myself there is absolutely no noticeable difference in audio quality if this option is set to "low" instead of higher values)

If this setting is set to "medium", some files still play gapless, some others don't.
If this setting is set to "high", almost any files won't play without gaps, especially if you play one large playlist containing many different file types of different folders as I mostly do.
With GPU setting it gets worst for me.

Furthermore I found out, really smooth playback isn't possible if crossfade is active and sample files are too short, so in my case the 9 second files don't produce gaps when played as is but will produce gaps and clicks when crossfade is set, the 48 second samples produce a short distortion which is hardly recognizeable and the longer the sample the shorter the distortion up to no longer recognizable under real world circumstances (playing real, longer songs).

I posted this solution here, because I don't know if this is a fixable bug or not.
If it is not a bug (thus not fixable) and all this is just because even rpi3 hasn't enough power to play audio gapless with higher resampling quality I think it then would be much better to have "resample quality: low" as default setting in upcoming raspberry pi builds so people no longer wonder what to do to make libreelec playing audio gapless, because I read almost a dozen of threads about kodi and gapless audio playback issues in this and other forums and none of the provided "solutions" like "flac is gapless, mp3 isn't, oh and you have to set output configuration to optimized man!" ever worked for me or the other thread openers (from what I know).
Since we all use the (almost) same piece of hardware, it can't just be me experiencing this.
(2017-02-06, 21:49)MMXT Wrote: I apologize for the long post, but I think today I found something out, which might be interesting for other people, who always have been unsatisfied with libreelec's crossfade between tracks and/or gapless audio playback in general:

Interesting. Can you provide your test file? What is its sample rate?

Does changing system/audio/Audio Output Latency make a difference?

It may be CPU related. Presumably there is some period of time between decoding the last sample of the first file and opening the new file, decoding and resampling and submitting its audio. If this takes longer than "Audio Output Latency" then you will get a gap.

But there may be other possibilities. I'm not sure if the resampler gets closed/opened between tracks, and if it does whether some context is lost causing a glitch.
Maybe the lower quality resampler has a smaller filter and hence less context.

It may be possible to avoid resampling. Set "Output configuration" to fixed and "Limit sampling rate" to match your audio file. What does that do?
I changed output latency to "max" a few times during my tests as well as the other options which you mention. I am pretty sure solely the resample quality setting is determining (at least for me and my setup: output via hdmi to Denon X1000 AVR).
Right after beginning to listen to the 300 Hz sample (44.1) I started to play with fixed output at various sample rates. I then switched everything back and if I get it right, if I set output to "optimized" it does no longer count, that I had set a samling rate limitation to the max of 192bit (simply because I was curious if my receiver would be able to handle it).
I generated the 300 Hz sinus file using an online generator, and my prime reason why I merged it with cox was because I was unsure if this web generated file would have an accurate sine wave and listened to the merged file a while on my laptop to ensure not the sine wave itself could produce bad distortions due to false beginning/ending. But it has been absolutely smooth playing.

What might be remarkable: I have deactivated audio passthrough because I am satisfied with libreelecs multichannel output and find it annoying if my AVR (slowly) switches between DTS, DD and so on.
But I also had gaps and clicks with passthrough and also with deactivated passthrough WITHOUT resample quality set to low as well as whatever else option (which I as user am aware of) without resample quality set to low.
(2017-02-06, 22:29)MMXT Wrote: But I also had gaps and clicks with passthrough and also with deactivated passthrough WITHOUT resample quality set to low as well as whatever else option (which I as user am aware of) without resample quality set to low.

Passthrough only applies to AC3 and DTS. mp3/wav/flac etc won't passthrough so that setting will have no effect.
Ah okay, good to know Smile

Edit: Without hdmi passthrough I had some audio drops while watching an episode of The Blacklist, so I reactivated hdmi passthrough. After watching series I once again tested gapless playback of the wav files as well as usual audio files and still experience seamless playback with resample quality set to low and gaps/clicks without this setting.
You already told me, hdmi passthrough option would not affect playback of mp3/wav/flac so this didn't surprise me, but I wanted to mention this for others who might have read that I temporarily had disabled hdmi passthrough.
New LibreELEC.tv Leia build #0206: RPi / RPi2
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 4.9.8 #1 Mon Feb 6 23:10:36 GMT 2017 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Feb  3 2017 17:32:26
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 12dfe2223aa88c5d7ce0e701e9fb7746914decc3 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
LibreELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20170206230933-#0206-g5b258c7 [Build #0206]

# Kodi version
(18.0-ALPHA1 Git:d829753). Platform: Linux ARM 32-bit

Based on tip of LibreELEC.tv master (5b258c79, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (6f0d7b0f, changelog) with the following modifications: Build Highlights:
  1. Drop jemalloc, switch to MALLOC_MMAP_THRESHOLD_=512KB
  2. Controller fixes
Build Details:
  1. LibreELEC.tv:
    • game add-ons update and cleanup (PR:1283, 111 commits, 130 files changed)
  2. XBMC:
    • cmake: fix handling of X11 (PR:11611, 1 commit, 4 files changed)
    • Controller cleanup (PR:11621, 3 commits, 7 files changed)
    • Fix analog sticks (PR:11616, 3 commits, 17 files changed)
    • [PVR] Fix trac17246 - another approach (PR:11615, 4 commits, 5 files changed)
    • Have the JSON handler sent a custom CEvent to the slideshow class (PR:11613, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
  3. peripheral.joystick:
    • Improvements to button mapping (PR:84, 2 commits, 7 files changed)
  4. pvr.mythtv:
    • 4.3.1 (PR:62, 4 commits, 12 files changed)
    • update README (c68b7ab5)
    • add new setting 'livetv_recordings' (93124590)
    • get/set setting 'livetv_recordings' (dc0198f9)
    • show/hide livetv recordings (7ff47571)
    • add translations en,fr for setting 30067 (269f64f2)
  5. kernel 4.9.y:
    • New commits in this build:
      • gpio_mem: Remove unnecessary dev_info output (#1830) (f9249189)
  6. Additional commits/pull requests/changes not yet merged upstream:
    • Added: [env] patch: temp: set MALLOC_MMAP_THRESHOLD to 512KB for all platforms
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Weekly Linux 4.10-rc7 build #0206x: RPi / RPi2

Same as #0206, but without media_build extensions (not compatible with this kernel).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
  • 57(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LibreELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 18.0)24