• 54(current)
Intel Apollo Lake
(2017-02-13, 12:59)Sniffer77 Wrote: Also can all the sound sources dd, dts etc be outputted by the optical out? Reason I ask is my receiver is of 4K so when watching 4K files it wouldn't pass through when using hdmi.
Sorry for what are probably basic question but appreciate your help

You can\t use any HD codec over optical as it doesn't have the bandwidth needed for that. It can only do up to (including) DTS.
Hi all,

I got an Intel Apollo Lake Nuc last Friday - model NUC6CAYH. I

I was not able to install the latest libreelec build - v7.0.3. It would just hang at the install screen once booted from USB.

I was able to install v7.95.3, Milhouse's 2/10/2017 build, fritsch's latest build, and piotrasd's Intel specific build - Intel.x86_64-devel-20170210200440-r25167-gd210441

All builds exhibit the same issue. I have no resolutions greater than 1024x768. I can add a custom xorg.conf and gain 3840x2160p, but I have no audio. I am connecting the NUC to via HDMI to my Samsung UN50KU6300 UHDTV. I get no audio from the TV's internal speakers or from the optical going from my TV to my AVR.

Kodi seems to detect my display as a DP2 - See xrandr output - http://sprunge.us/CeNc

See aplay -L output - http://sprunge.us/IZEI

When I connect via HDMI to a 1080p monitor, I get the other resolutions. It seems to be an issue with my Samsung UDHTV.
(2017-02-13, 16:26)joutlaw Wrote: Hi all,

I was not able to install the latest libreelec build - v7.0.3. It would just hang at the install screen once booted from USB.

I was able to install v7.95.3, Milhouse's 2/10/2017 build, fritsch's latest build, and piotrasd's Intel specific build - Intel.x86_64-devel-20170210200440-r25167-gd210441

All builds exhibit the same issue. I have no resolutions greater than 1024x768. I can add a custom xorg.conf and gain 3840x2160p, but I have no audio. I am connecting the NUC to via HDMI to my Samsung UN50KU6300 UHDTV. I get no audio from the TV's internal speakers or from the optical going from my TV to my AVR.

Kodi seems to detect my display as a DP2 - See xrandr output - http://sprunge.us/CeNc

When I connect via HDMI to a 1080p monitor, I get the other resolutions. It seems to be an issue with my Samsung UDHTV.

Its better to use the v7.95.3 or fritish/piotrads if you need HEVC 10bit.
It does sound like TV issue as I got same NUC and connected using HDMI high speed cable to my LG OLED and I can choose 2160p in kodi settings.
For Audio I had none to begin with but had to change the audio device under audio settings. For me HDMI audio option did not work prob due to DVI to HDMI chip but get audio after changing it.
(2017-02-13, 12:59)Sniffer77 Wrote:
(2017-02-13, 12:48)Nekromantik Wrote:
(2017-02-13, 12:23)Sniffer77 Wrote: Might be a silly question so I apologise .
When I get my NUC6CAYS am I better using windows for Kodi or libreelec ?

I've only ever had openelec anc libreelec so not sure what advantage they have over windows .

The NUC6CAYS when I get one will be to watch my movie content from mainly the internal hard drive
Thanks

Depends on your use case, if you only want the NUC for Kodi then LibreELEC is way to go. Small size and features codec support for everything (apart from HEVC 10bit but thats in test builds).
Can fit on a 16GB Usb Drive easily and does not require much resources so 2GB built in RAM will be fine. For windows you would need to upgrade to 4GB as it does slow down.

Excellent , thanks for the reply . Yes purely for Kodi . Would there be any advantage to upgrading ram to 8gb ? Or is it not required ?
Also can all the sound sources dd, dts etc be outputted by the optical out? Reason I ask is my receiver is of 4K so when watching 4K files it wouldn't pass through when using hdmi.
Sorry for what are probably basic question but appreciate your help

Don't quote me as gospel but I believe you will need 2 x SODIMMs for decent 3D performance whichever way you look at it, certainly with broadwell NUCs people couldn't get decent 1080p decoding of x264 without 2 sticks of RAM as the graphics then has twice the bandwidth (not disagreeing with the actual amount needed)

I have pretty much the same TV as you and I get the 1024x768 problem too.

The only thing that would get it working for me was to use DVI>HDMI.

I've not tried a custom xorg.conf file as at the moment I'm happy with the 30hz limit but I'm more than happy to help you with testing etc.
(2017-02-13, 20:49)sublow Wrote:

I have pretty much the same TV as you and I get the 1024x768 problem too.

The only thing that would get it working for me was to use DVI>HDMI.

I've not tried a custom xorg.conf file as at the moment I'm happy with the 30hz limit but I'm more than happy to help you with testing etc.

My NUC only has 1 HDMI and 1 VGA, so that is not an option for me unfortunately
Anyone gotten passthrough to work with NUC6CAYS and an AVR?
(Win10)
I make set posters! (I also take requests)
Got my "CAYS" NUC setup last night and swapped out the 2GB ram for 2 x 4GB. Went fairly smoothly apart from getting it to boot from SD/USB to install LE - tried a few versions.
Basically using the official tool LE has on it's site to build the bootable media resulted in being kicked to shell before the installer even started with
"can't access tty job control turned off"
No tinkering of UEFI/Legacy/boot stuff made a difference.
No recent stuff turned up on google but someone mentioned using Win32DiskImager to write the image to your USB/SD card.
That resolved the problem immediately.
Hope that's useful to others as they get their new NUCs

Using latest 7.95.03 build from fritsch with HEVC patches.
LiveTV/1080i deinterlacing all working well using MCDI/MADI
4K with DTS-HD track (I have DD transcoding set to on so shows as DD5.1 on Sonos) works well too no dropped frames or anything I can see.
Youtube addon 60fps/1080p smooth as butter as you would expect obviously.
I'm using Sonos from the HDMI signal then from TV to Sonos by optical. No issues there except 2.0 shows stereo and not Dolby Digital...think it's always been like that thought.
I know it hasn't been optimized but UI does take a hit at 4K and watching 1080i at 4K even though CPU is only reporting 20-25% usage it's certainly not smooth. Makes the UI behave as if it's set to 23.976 fps material.
Pretty pleased, doesn't seem any slower than my old i5 NUC5I5RYK

One issue still have is no option for 50hz at 4K resolution. I'm pretty sure my tv supports it.
Hope this is helpful if somewhat anecdotal.
I have tested on my CAYS with both millhouse builds (leia) and piotrasd (krypton) builds. Both are working fine.
Piotrasd works fine with 4k on all refresh rates up to 60 that I can test. It also works fine for hevc.

Millhouse builds gives 4k up to 30hz. And no working hevc decoding as it uses sw decode it seems.
(2017-02-14, 15:19)laric Wrote: I have tested on my CAYS with both millhouse builds (leia) and piotrasd (krypton) builds. Both are working fine.
Piotrasd works fine with 4k on all refresh rates up to 60 that I can test. It also works fine for hevc.

Millhouse builds gives 4k up to 30hz. And no working hevc decoding as it uses sw decode it seems.

Are you going straight from HDMI to your TV? What TV do you have?
I have reported the J4205-ITX HDMI 2.0 issue with HD audio and 3D MVC to ASRock. They have responded and say they are looking into it, it looks like they have accessed the J4205-ITX build page on my blog and probably this forum as I linked to it in the email.

https://rewster.uk/2016/11/21/asrock-j42...nas-build/
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2458236

I have put the correspondence with ASRock on my blog and will report any updates here.

I did try the 1.20D beta bios that had description of 'Modify vBIOS setting for HDMI display', did not seem to do anything I could notice.
(2017-02-06, 16:58)M Verweij Wrote: Hi guys

I can confirm that HD audio is not working when connected to a HDMI 2.0 reciever with Windows 10.

But it works with a hdmi 1.4 reciever connected. I got a Windows 10 Installation up and running with HD audio. But IT doesn't run as smooth as libreelec.
(2017-02-14, 22:21)skipp Wrote:
(2017-02-06, 16:58)M Verweij Wrote: Hi guys

I can confirm that HD audio is not working when connected to a HDMI 2.0 reciever with Windows 10.

But it works with a hdmi 1.4 reciever connected. I got a Windows 10 Installation up and running with HD audio. But IT doesn't run as smooth as libreelec.

Yes, that is the same as the DVI to HDMI adaptor workaround for the J4205-ITX, that makes the computer effectively HDMI 1.4 so it works (HDMI 2.0 is broken), that is how I am currently using my computer otherwise I would not have HD audio or 3D.
Has anyone experience with the asrock J3455b board?

That board seems not to have the buggy dp-to-hdmi converter. And it's even cheaper.

I don't care about 4k, but I do care about hd audio pass-through (incl atmos) and 3d.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my HTC One_M8
(2017-02-14, 18:28)joutlaw Wrote:
(2017-02-14, 15:19)laric Wrote: I have tested on my CAYS with both millhouse builds (leia) and piotrasd (krypton) builds. Both are working fine.

Are you going straight from HDMI to your TV? What TV do you have?

I am using HDMI to TV directly yes. I have a Samsung 2015 7 series. Can't remember the exact number now. But the one without SUHD and HDR.
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Apollo Lake9