What is the best way to add and album or a song?
Hello

I am using Kodi Krypton

I have a large music library and it takes hours to scan my entire library.

I am still unsure about the best way to add only one album or one song or order to reduce the time taken.

At the moment I am using this method

Go to my Music library source, -> find the exact location where is my new album / song -> Select the analyse for library menu. (Analyse pour la mediateque in french)

So is this the correct method

Is there another way to do that ?

Thank you for your help
(2017-02-17, 11:35)goyon Wrote: So is this the correct method

Yes. But Kodi will not re-scan a folder or file which it has scanned before unless the file (size or date) has been changed. If you make small changes with Picard, make sure to uncheck Options>Options>Tags>Preserve timestamps of tagged files.

EDIT: The corresponding setting in Mp3tag is in Tools>Options>Tags>Preserve file modification time

It seems the Refresh button in the album information screen updates only scraped metadata. It doesn't re-read tags.
(2017-02-17, 11:35)goyon Wrote: I have a large music library and it takes hours to scan my entire library.

That really shouldn't happen after the initial scan into the library. How many songs are we talking here?
Thanks Graham

it's about 80 GB.
(2017-02-17, 11:35)goyon Wrote: I have a large music library and it takes hours to scan my entire library.
You say later 80GB, but the size that will effect scanning is the number of music files. How many of those?

Also do you mean just scanning the tags or do you also have "Fetch online data on update" enabled meaning that it is also trying to scrape additional info from online sources at the same time. The scraping obviously takes time too.

When you do update library Kodi checks all the music files and folders on your music sources for any changes (a simple hash compare), this is fairly quick but on a large library still takes some time. It only scans the tags of the new files it has not scanned before. So the initial scan when the source is added will be longer than any subsequent Update Library scans.

If you have a very large collection then it is better to split it into multiple music sources, maybe by genre. Then if even the update library seems too slow for you, then you can go to file view navigate to the source with new music, or even the subfolder, and choose "scan to library" from the context menu. Then only that part of your music collection gets checked for changes and tags from new/edited files scanned.
Just set it to churn away, all night if necessary - you can still play music or anything else while it's scanning.
Ok Thank you for all this information

My library is 12762 file

I am going to reorganize a little bit my music library and I will check my parameter "Fetch online data on update

Again thank you for help
(2017-02-18, 14:24)graham-h Wrote: Just set it to churn away, all night if necessary - you can still play music or anything else while it's scanning.
That is true too Smile

13k of songs is a reasonable size, not huge (that would be >200k). The songs node unfiltered will be slow, but targeted use of the library will work fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the best way to add and album or a song?0