Digital Optical to Analog Audio Converter
Gidday

Hope I have selected the correct forum for this...apologies if not....

Anyway, I have a 4K MXQ Pro box with Kodi 16...the box is playing fine and am pleased with the purchase...my internet connection is another story 8^(= (its an Aussie thing)...

So I bought a RCA Digital Optical Coax Coaxial Toslink to Analog Audio Converter Adapter ZB1 so that I could direct the audio through my home stereo, I have a Sony Takumi CMTG2BNIP...the stereo works fine and is able to take the audio from the Blu-ray player but so far I haven't been able to get the connection between the Digital-Analog converter to work...all the connections are as per they should be with the correct SPDIF cable for the converter purchased and installed...

I have been connecting and disconnecting cables etc for days now and still no noise from the Kodi box...I hope I have provided enough information for someone to provide an answer, if not please let me know...

cheers

col
What audio options appear in kodi?

Please post a debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-02-19, 00:31)nickr Wrote: What audio options appear in kodi?

I have Kodi 16 installed...did have 17 installed for an hour or so but had to revert back to 16 as the newer version would crash on startup...

Anyway, Kodi has the usual, I guess, options for selection (I tried to take a screenshot but for some reason it would write the image to my computers shared drive) are those that are standard...including number of channels (2.0), output configuration (Optimised) etc, and I have enabled passthrough but the next selection for "passthrough output device" is greyed out which might be where I am having the problem...

Quote:Please post a debug log (wiki)
I have installed the debug log plugin but am unable to locate it in the programs or system menu (I did restart kodi)...

I appreciate your replying to my call for help....

cheers

col
A debug log (wiki) would show the available audio devices seen by kodi.

I don't use android for kodi, but in the android settings, is there a place to set default audio to?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-02-19, 04:56)nickr Wrote: A debug log (wiki) would show the available audio devices seen by kodi.
Will continue to work on the debug log side of things...

Quote:I don't use android for kodi, but in the android settings, is there a place to set default audio to?
Yeah, Auto (which selects PCM), PCM, HDMI and SPDIF...I have tried all and all work except for SPDIF.

cheers

col
Is there anything physically coming out the SPDIF port? Careful, don't look directly at it, that is laser light we're talking!

EDIT: do you have another spdif source to test with the convertor? Your bluray player will probably have spdif out you can test with.
(2017-02-19, 05:07)nickr Wrote: Is there anything physically coming out the SPDIF port? Careful, don't look directly at it, that is laser light we're talking!
Interestingly there is nothing coming out...I suspect that may be a problem Undecided

Quote:EDIT: do you have another spdif source to test with the convertor? Your bluray player will probably have spdif out you can test with.
The Bluray only has digital coaxial...

cheers

col
I suppose you were playing something when you checked?
(2017-02-19, 05:19)nickr Wrote: I suppose you were playing something when you checked?
Ha ha...you think of everything Confused

Tried that and still nothing....
Also a bit of googling suggests that the MXQ has a coax not optical out, which means a different cable and plugging into the other input on your convertor.

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3067...d-box.html
(2017-02-19, 05:29)nickr Wrote: Also a bit of googling suggests that the MXQ has a coax not optical out, which means a different cable and plugging into the other input on your convertor.

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3067...d-box.html
The manual that I have for mine (MXQ Pro 4k) says that its a SPDIF coaxial and the SPDIF fits perfectly...
Yes but you have an optical cable.

SPDIF has two common transport mechanisms, 'coax' and 'optical'.

Coax travels down a wire, and usually has a RCA connector, although it can be any electrical connector.

Optical is also known as toslink and the signal travels down a fibre optic cable. The cable you bought is a fibre optic cable, I can tell by the connector on the right in the 1st pic in the ebay ad you linked to.

You need a wire cable with RCA on one end and a single pole 3.5mm connector on the other end (like a mono headphone connector).
(2017-02-19, 05:50)nickr Wrote: Yes but you have an optical cable.

SPDIF has two common transport mechanisms, 'coax' and 'optical'.

Coax travels down a wire, and usually has a RCA connector, although it can be any electrical connector.

Optical is also known as toslink and the signal travels down a fibre optic cable. The cable you bought is a fibre optic cable, I can tell by the connector on the right in the 1st pic in the ebay ad you linked to.

You need a wire cable with RCA on one end and a single pole 3.5mm connector on the other end (like a mono headphone connector).
No problems...will hunt one down and try it...
I think something like this https://www.jaycar.co.nz/3-5mm-mono-plug...r/p/PA3500 with a RCA to RCA cable would work, although you should be able to find a cable with the right connectors on each end.
(2017-02-19, 06:05)nickr Wrote: I think something like this https://www.jaycar.co.nz/3-5mm-mono-plug...r/p/PA3500 with a RCA to RCA cable would work, although you should be able to find a cable with the right connectors on each end.
I have a big bucket of cables (collected from various electronic devices over the years) that the missus wants me to chuck...think I have one in there that should do the trick...

cheers and thanks for the help provided...

col

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Digital Optical to Analog Audio Converter0