v17 Artists with Multiple Roles
Hi

I think I know the answer to this already through what I am seeing but would like to know if it's intentional and/or if it's something that could possibly be resolved in the future.

Is the same artist having multiple roles on the same track supported?

I think at the moment it just takes possibly the first role found in the tags for that artist on that particular track.

I have some tracks where the same artist appears in both the Producer and Remixer tags but only appears under Producer (for that particular track) in the database.

Thanks
Same artist multiple roles, yes supported, but it does need to be tagged in the right way.

Flac files are easy - there are PRODUCER and REMIXER tags, and if you had XXX playing both drums and trombone then PERFORMER = "XXXX(drums / trombone) would do it, so would 2 separate PERFORMER tags:
PERFORMER = "XXXX(drums)
PERFORMER = "XXXX(trombone)

With IDE v2.4 you use the TIPL tag for producer and remixer (as "people involved"). Different tagging software present the values of this tag in different ways. Internally is is an array with alternating values. Every odd entry is a role (e.g. Producer, remixer etc.) and every even is an artist or a comma delimited list of artists. Comma delimited is naff, as artist names do sometimes have comma in, but we just hope that the producer etc. doesn't.

So Flac or mp3?
Hmm, that doesn't seem to be the behaviour I'm seeing. The tracks I've noticed so far are FLAC and are tagged using Picard and using the information pulled from MusicBrainz and with separate Producer and Remixer tags, e.g.

Extract for this song from the "songartistview" in the DB:

If there's anything more useful I can provide let me know and I realise now that artists with multiple roles must be supported as both Artist and Producer for Courtney Pine is present.
I think Kodi supports MIXARTIST, DJMIXER and MIXER but not REMIXER. Suspect the wiki is wrong.
Ok, so it seems that the issue is with FLAC files, I know that I have artists under the Remixer role in my database and it hadn't occurred to me before but I've just checked and the ones that are there are all tags on MP3 files and sure enough they're using the MIXARTIST tag.

Hadn't even spotted this as in Picard they appear as Remixer for both MP3 and FLAC but looking at the Extended Tags using MP3tag exposes the difference.

So does this mean that it's not currently possible for Kodi to process a tag for a remix credit on a FLAC file or is it a case of somehow using MIXARTIST on the FLAC file (if this is even supported)
(2017-02-21, 22:43)Hallucyn8 Wrote: So does this mean that it's not currently possible for Kodi to process a tag for a remix credit on a FLAC file or is it a case of somehow using MIXARTIST on the FLAC file (if this is even supported)

So I've partially answered my own question by using Mp3tag to manually change the REMIXER tag on the FLAC file to MIXARTIST and rescanning to the library. Sure enough I now have the artist appearing as a Remixer as well as a Producer.

Is there a way to force Picard to write a MIXARTIST tag instead of a REMIXER tag for FLAC files?

Looking at the Picard documentation, https://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/mappings/, I assume it's writing Vorbis tags for FLAC files but on the file where I've manually changed the tag to MIXARTIST Picard still recognises it as Remixer and doesn't want to overwrite the tag
The best answer is for REMIXER to be added to class TagLoaderTagLib in both the ogg and ape sections, if DaveBlake can find the time. Meanwhile, you could rename the tags in your FLACs to use MIXARTIST.

I haven't tested it - just looking at the fairly recent source code.
I'll be honest, using the Remixer (MIXARTIST) role is a nice to have but not essential for me so I don't think I will be going down the road of changing the tags on my FLAC files.

It would be nice if going forward the FLAC/Remixer tag is recognised and I'll be happy to help with any testing.
If you turn on debug logging and then scan your music, you should get a log entry if a tag is ignored. Should be easy in MP3Tag to write an action (script) to copy REMIXER to MIXARTIST.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2017-02-22, 02:09)scott967 Wrote: If you turn on debug logging and then scan your music, you should get a log entry if a tag is ignored. Should be easy in MP3Tag to write an action (script) to copy REMIXER to MIXARTIST.

scott s.

Didn't know about the log entries when a tag is ignored so good to know, thanks.
REMIXER verses MIXARTIST - my bad. In my defense I have been asking users to test this all with their real world music collection since I implemented it

I'll see if I can squeeze a fix into 17.1, otherwise it will be v18 I'm afraid.
Thanks for the update DaveBlake.

Slightly off topic but I would be happy to help test in the future. I seem to have spotted one or two things just through my daily use of Kodi and only really use it for the Music Library features so it's possible I could be of some use going forward.

How's the best way to go about being involved in testing? Just hanging around here on this board or elsewhere? I've been registered on here for a while but only recently started visiting and posting with any regularity.
(2017-02-22, 15:03)Hallucyn8 Wrote: Slightly off topic but I would be happy to help test in the future. I seem to have spotted one or two things just through my daily use of Kodi and only really use it for the Music Library features so it's possible I could be of some use going forward.

How's the best way to go about being involved in testing? Just hanging around here on this board or elsewhere? I've been registered on here for a while but only recently started visiting and posting with any regularity.
Always happy to have more eyes and brains on music work Smile

This sub-forum is the place for any music work/testing/feedback. I'll get a v18 testing sticky thread up as soon as I get enough changes implemented, so watch out for that I guess. I can get builds done, just install onto win32, not so sure what you need to do with the Linux ones to use them, an LE test build is at the moment beyond my skills so has to wait until my work gets merged into the nightly and then Millhouse builds.

I have wondered about having a list of volunteers that I can ping, but not sure how people would feel about that.
(2017-02-22, 15:39)DaveBlake Wrote: I have wondered about having a list of volunteers that I can ping, but not sure how people would feel about that.

I would have no problem going on a list although couldn't guarantee how responsive I could be at any given time, but I guess that applies to most people involved Smile
OK got the fix for having both REMIXER and MIXARTIST as tags for remixer in Flac and APE filesinto v17.1 RC as an almost typo. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artists with Multiple Roles0