Missing Songs & Albums
Newbie here. I've read and searched most posts but I still can't resolve my problem. My music folders are structured Artist/Album. I use Kodi on Amazon Fire TV (Android) but there are many missing albums and songs. After reading here I took 2 of the artists I'm having trouble with and I used MusicBrainz Picard to tag them but this didn't help. Album is listed but no tracks or 3 tracks appear but the rest do not. One album appears perfectly. I have also deleted the source and started over but that didn't help. Not sure what to do next so any help will be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, I loaded Kodi on my PC and all the data appears fine so the issue may be how android is handling it.

Thanks
I solved the problem by moving all my music to my NAS; it was previously on my computer hard drive. This seems to work much better. 2 further issues I have relate to artist thumbs and soundtracks.

In artist view the fanart is appearing but not the artist thumbs. I can get them by going to info and manually choosing it for each artist but it's not populating it automatically. Is there a way to do it automatically?

For my soundtracks I have put "soundtrack" as the album artist and this works for some but I ended up with 5 different album artists titled soundtrack. Is there another field that Kodi looks at to cause this. For example: Album Artist: Soundtrack - 2 albums appear. Then another Album Artist: Soundtrack - 1 album appears. Do I need to put "Soundtrack" in another tag?
Hi Cigwin,

Can you copy and paste the metadata into a post here. Out of the 5 different album artist entries, can you paste the metadata of two of them. Similar to the following which is an example of how I have handled the Soundtrack albums. Of course the below will give an entry for each soundtrack album, which I understand is what you do not want.

Artist Name : Rob Dougan
Track Title : Clubbed to Death (Kurayamino mix)
Album Title : The Matrix
Date : 1995
Genre : Soundtrack
Composer :
Performer :
Album Artist : Soundtrack- Matrix, The
Track Number : 4
Total Tracks : 13
Disc Number : 1
Total Discs : 1
Comment :
I would like all my soundtracks listed under "Soundtracks" but I can be flexible as long as it's consistent. Don't know how to get the metadata out of Kodi but here's some data from MusicBrainz. The first 2 albums appear together; the next 2 are in their own soundtrack listing.

Title Moondance
Artist Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Album August Rush: Music From the Motion Picture
Track Number 3
Album Artist Soundtrack
Album Artist Sort Order Various Artists
Artist Sort Order Meyers, Jonathan Rhys
Artists Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Compilation (iTunes) 1
Disc Number 1
Original Release Date 2007-11-13
Release Type album; soundtrack
Total Discs 1
Total Tracks 15

Title Jungle Boogie
Artist Kool & The Gang
Album Pulp Fiction: Music From the Motion Picture
Track Number 3
Album Artist Soundtrack
Album Artist Sort Order Various Artists
Artist Sort Order Kool & The Gang
Artists Kool & The Gang
Compilation (iTunes) 1
Disc Number 1
Original Release Date 1994-09-27
Release Type album; compilation; soundtrack
Total Discs 1
Total Tracks 16

Title Valjean's Soliloquy
Artist Claude-Michel Schönberg
Album Les Misérables: In Concert at the Royal Albert Hall (1995 10th Anniversary concert cast)
Track Number 3
Album Artist Soundtrack
Album Artist Sort Order Schönberg, Claude-Michel
Artist Sort Order Schönberg, Claude-Michel
Artists Claude-Michel Schönberg
Compilation (iTunes)
Disc Number 1
Original Release Date 1996-06-10
Release Type album; soundtrack; live
Total Discs 2
Total Tracks 20

Title Hopelessly Devoted to You
Artist Olivia Newton-John
Album Grease: The Original Soundtrack from the Motion Picture
Track Number 3
Album Artist Soundtrack
Album Artist Sort Order Jacobs, Jim & Casey, Warren
Artist Sort Order Newton-John, Olivia
Artists Olivia Newton-John
Compilation (iTunes)
Disc Number 1
Original Release Date 1978-04-14
Release Type album; soundtrack
Total Discs 1
Total Tracks 24
@Cigwin I'm not sure, but I have to wonder if just reading the guide, tagging your music using Picard (and not editing those tag) and then create your library is possibly the best advice I can give.

(2017-02-22, 08:33)Cigwin Wrote: For my soundtracks I have put "soundtrack" as the album artist and this works for some but I ended up with 5 different album artists titled soundtrack. Is there another field that Kodi looks at to cause this. For example: Album Artist: Soundtrack - 2 albums appear. Then another Album Artist: Soundtrack - 1 album appears. Do I need to put "Soundtrack" in another tag?
I don't think putting genre in the album artist, or artists in the track name come to that, is a good idea.

The above sounds like you used Picard that added mbid tags but then edited artist and album artist tag willy-nilly. That will make a mess of your library - either use Picard and accept its tagging or tag manually (no mbids). Manually creating consistent tags is probably beyond you at this stage.

(2017-02-22, 15:02)Cigwin Wrote: I would like all my soundtracks listed under "Soundtracks" but I can be flexible as long as it's consistent. Don't know how to get the metadata out of Kodi but here's some data from MusicBrainz. The first 2 albums appear together; the next 2 are in their own soundtrack listing.

Tag with GENRE = soundtrack, ALBUMARTIST = "Various Artists" (or the actualy artist if one did the entire soundtrack).
Ensure that the ALBUM and ALBUMARTIST tag have the same value for all the songs on the album.

If using Picard, then correctly identiy the album you have, not pick odd tracks or Kodi will split the songs into the different albums that you used from Musicbrainz
You're right; I arbitrarily edited album artist and probably shouldn't do that. Your last 2 paragraphs would probably work so I could get to my soundtracks via genre but I don't see where Picard tags with genre and I don't see a genre category in Kodi. (Unless I need to use a different skin) I also suppose I could only access soundtracks through files and go to my soundtrack folder.

Thank You
I think using "genre" tag on songs is the better idea. I have many Korean soundtracks (they call them OST) and typically there is a release for each major artist containing that artist's contribution, then a compilation release with every song plus background music which may or may not have an artist credit. So the album artist varies.

scott s.
(2017-02-22, 21:03)Cigwin Wrote: You're right; I arbitrarily edited album artist and probably shouldn't do that.
It's your music edit what you like, but... Picard adds Musicbrainz ID tags that need to match the nartist names. If you edit names then you need to edit the Musicbrainz IDs as well, or you get exactly the mess that you have. If Kofi finds mbids then it uses them

Quote:Your last 2 paragraphs would probably work so I could get to my soundtracks via genre but I don't see where Picard tags with genre and I don't see a genre category in Kodi. (Unless I need to use a different skin)
I also suppose I could only access soundtracks through files and go to my soundtrack folder.
Picard does not show the genre tag by default, and Musicbrainz do not provide genre values, but you can add a genre tag very easily (right click menu - "Add new tag".

Kodi has a Genres node, much like the Albums and Artists nodes, but if none of your music files have genre then this is hidden.

Happy tagging.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Missing Songs & Albums0