• 7(current)
AMLogic - try and fix your Audio and Video playback problems.
For M8SII there is also new firmware:
https://androidtvbox.eu/new-firmware-v-r...x-release/

Haven't tried yet, don't know if changes anything ...
Hello!

I've tried to make KODI switch resolution / framerate using the instruction in the first post of this thread.
I have a X92 android-TV with android 6.0 and a S912 SoC.

The only access right mismatch (compared to those in 1st post) was that /sys/class/display/mode had access rights 0644 rather than 0666. I've changed the access rights, restarted KODI, but unfortunately, nothing changed - when I start the video, KODI does not switch the video mode.

The device itself supports framerate switching via the settings pannel. I have framerate change enabled in KODI instructions.

What could be the case it doesn't work?

P.S. Oh my... I've installed KODI from PlayStore. Looking at the source code I see that AML support relies on code from the CEGLNativeTypeAmlAndroid driver, and I guess PlayStore release was built without HAS_LIBAMCODEC, right? So the AML support code should be just missing...
It's expected behavior, for an explanation on the removal of Amlogic specific code, please see:

https://kodi.tv/kodi-v17-krypton-alpha-2/

Amlogic and all other vendors must comport to public api standards for full compatibility with Kodi 17.

Also, most amlogic firmware releases are incomplete and use nonstandardized methods, to add insult to injury.
Yes I agree with the previous post.

(2017-02-25, 23:24)anpaza Wrote: The device itself supports framerate switching via the settings panel. I have framerate change enabled in KODI instructions.

What could be the case it doesn't work?
Its a Firmware issue. All AMLogic Android Marshmallow devices running Kodi Krypton look like they have the same problem. There is no fix that I know of. Maybe the Freaktab website has some Firmware.

I would normally recommend you ditch Android completely and use LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on an AMLogic S905 box if you value proper Audio and Video support with smooth 24p video playback.

But you have an AMLogic S912. Its the worst supported device on the market. It cannot run LibreELEC either.
Advice - send it back to the shop or sell it to another victim person.

Its not going to get any better for Kodi v17 Krypton unless you magically discover a fix. Try SPMC instead.

Okay, so amlogic code is not supported anymore in KODI v17 and up, got it.

What is the API to use for framerate changing now? I could use something like Xposed to intercept and implement the respective functionality in this API via /sys/class/display/mode.

UPD: found the API. They have changed it again in Android 7.0 o_O. So for API 21 to 23 there must be support for one API, and for 23 and up for another. Pretty unstable thing, this android. "Added in API level 21, deprecated in API level 23". Eek.
Hi all! I have a cheesy little s905 box with 2G ram and it works great with Kodi Krypton. There were a lot of problems back in the alpha releases but since Christmas the Krypton player has been solid for everything: x264, x265, 1080p, etc.

However, lately I find that if the box has been up for half a day, the player switches to software decoding and playback suffers. I suspect a memory leak or some other resource black hole and possibly not Kodi. I have only started tracking down the culprit so nothing to add in terms of clues. Not worried; I know how to deal with this.

My question is, does anyone know how kodi determines which method to use? Would a memory leak from another program explain this problem? I have checked free mem and cpu load; does not seem to be a problem.

Have others had this issue? Specifically: immediately after boot, Kodi uses hw decoder and plays media with no trouble. After 12 hours of idle time, playing the same file, Kodi fails to use hw decoder and reverts to SW.

Comments appreciated.

EDIT: Ahhh... found the culprit. Another app was leaking memory in the background. Uninstalled it and no more decoder problems.
amlogic code is not supported anymore, rockchip too ... Well, thats mean 99.9% of android box...

Does Nvidia bought KODI, kodividia kodiavi kovidia kovidiashield shieldvidiako or something else ? wtf ?
(2017-03-14, 22:31)jambono Wrote: amlogic code is not supported anymore, rockchip too ... Well, thats mean 99.9% of android box...

Does Nvidia bought KODI, kodividia kodiavi kovidia kovidiashield shieldvidiako or something else ? wtf ?

I have a cheap s905 amlogic tv box and it works very well with Krypton. The quality of the player seems to be very good. I don't think that in the future Amlogic will be any more of a problem than it has been. If anything, this encourages the chip makers to make their firmware compliant with Android without the need for additional code hacks.

Not sure what you are saying about Nvidia and Kodi. One of the reasons that the Shield costs more is that the manufacturer puts a lot of effort into the performance of the device, and into compliance with Android.

I don't believe Krypton has any Nvidia, Amazon, or other brand/chipset specific code hacks. Nvidia just makes a great product.
its was a joke...
but as for now, immediately, here, 80% of android box have problem with KODI Either because it's amlogic or because it's rockchip... this is what I say, nothing more nothing less.
The lambda user don't know and may be don't care about the truth of why
Its may be the same what happens with adobe flash and macromedia I don't know exactly but the fact is thats come very strange on android planet.
What occurs with most new AMLogic Chipset and Hardware releases is each dirt cheap Asian, AML Hardware seller falls over themselves and are in such a hurry to get devices first to market that they rush them out the door and flash them with AMLogic Android Test Firmware.

It is NEVER a good idea to buy brand spanking new AMLogic hardware from these dirt cheap sellers. The Firmware is always rubbish. And if the seller does not provide proper bug fixed Firmware updates then the device is useless for serious Kodi use. Strictly DIY devices only. Plug n Pray !

This is usually what happens until the next Buggy lot of AML Android Hardware is rushed to market by dirt cheap "Snake Oil Salesmen" sellers and the cycle repeats all over again.

Then you have an additional problem to go with the Kodi Krypton release. Amcodec has now been dropped. Mediacodec only. Plus there has not been a regular Android Kodi code maintainer for Krypton.
Not much testing and bug busting (relative to LibreELEC) was even done for Android Kodi Krypton either.

Koying who used to handle a bit of AMLogic Kodi got sick of all the buggy Firmware and poor quality Android SDK's from AMLogic that he moved to SPMC exclusively and Android TV on the Shield. I don't blame him one bit, especially are a virtually solo developer.

Now compare this to LibreELEC on AML S8xx/S905 devices where you start with a decent quality Linux Kernel, nicely optimised Kodi releases for each Official LibreELEC Hardware platform and a stable Linux Based OS (vs frequent Android OS updates) to run it all on. You end up with a much better, stable platform for Kodi. Far more testing and quality control is done as well during the LE developmental phase.

Companies such as nVIDIA simply have more Money and manpower developer and testing resources to release decent quality Firmware to run on their very own Hardware. Where every Shield is virtually the same tech Spec too. Xiaomi with their Mi Box have massive resources too, and all the same Tech Spec Hardware as well.

Compare this to highly variable and fragmented cheap Android hardware market, where devices are sold as 'Ship and Forget". There are so many changing hardware components and lack of care taken by 98% of these types of sellers that you really have no hope of getting a decent Kodi Krypton device for serious Kodi Audio and Video use.

Hi and help please

I changed the video calibration on my Kodi Jarvis player. I moved the top left arrow and now I am unable to move it again. This means the left 1/3 of the screen is missing. I am unable to set it back to default. Please help.
Hey I'm back with another problem <g>.

BTW about that video framerate changing feature discussed above... the solution is to install this plugin:
https://github.com/jeff2900/Kodi.AmLogic...y.switcher
Download link:
https://github.com/jeff2900/Kodi.AmLogic...r/releases

---

Now about my new problem. I managed to get yesterday AC3 & DTS working fine in KODI 17.1 in both passthrough and "re-encode to AC3" modes. To test it I've used the video samples from here:
http://www.demo-world.eu/dolby-dts-thx-w...ailers-sd/

Now after some time all DTS 5.1 files started to play noticeably unsteady. The audio is okay, but the video goes as if it would freeze for a moment, then play very fast as if it wants to catch up the skipped slices, then again freezes, again accelerates and that's what constantly happen.

Here's my test file with DTS audio:
http://www.demo-world.eu/download-sd-tra...rience.jpg

I've started playing with settings... disabled audio passthrough completely... nothing helped, video still freezes. Then I've desperately removed KODI altogether (deleting cache & data files), and reinstalled it from scratch. I launched KODI for the first time, opened the /sdcard/Downloads/ directory where I had a test file, and just tapped it. And guess what... it still freezes/accelerates! At the same time, the same file plays absolutely fine in SPMC and MXPlayer.

The only thing that fixes the freezes is when I disable both "Allow hardware acceleration: MediaCodec" options in settings. Well, but I'm not happy with this solution.

The most interesting thing is that I CAN SWEAR that I've seen the same video playing smoothly in KODI yesterday, before this madness started. With MediaCodec and even with pass-through DTS audio! All was fine, and then suddenly broke.

So, what I have now is that even if I clean up KODI completely, reboot the box, reinstall KODI and start playing that file without changing any settings, it plays unsteadily. And at the same time, the same file plays fine with any other player.

Anybody has any idea what happens? I can make a video if something is unclear...
Now that the Android developer @superceleron has published his modded source code over on the Freaktab website its worth directing users with older (Android Kitkat 4.4.x) AMLogic Hardware that are having Audio and Video problems over to the FTMC (Kodi Jarvis / SPMC) hybrid fork he has been developing:

FTMC for older AMLogic hardware - use AML build

FTMC can be installed alongside Kodi as it uses its own App signature.

thanks wrxtasy for the @superceleron fork link, its better than SPMC !
(2017-04-25, 06:25)wrxtasy Wrote: Now that the Android developer @superceleron has published his modded source code over on the Freaktab website its worth directing users with older (Android Kitkat 4.4.x) AMLogic Hardware that are having Audio and Video problems over to the FTMC (Kodi Jarvis / SPMC) hybrid fork he has been developing:

FTMC for older AMLogic hardware - use AML build

FTMC can be installed alongside Kodi as it uses its own App signature.

What does the removal of this AMLogic code mean for LibreELEC and custom builds like yours and Raybuntu's for the Odroid C2?
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMLogic - try and fix your Audio and Video playback problems.3