• 67(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2017-02-23, 11:22)dubbud Wrote:
(2017-01-06, 03:19)hdmkv Wrote: Just got 2x of M8S II S90X 2GB/8GB boxes, and Kodi (via LibreELEC) runs damn well on them. Just as good as on Beelink S905 MiniMXIII 2GB/16GB, which is very hard to find now.

Perfect 23.976 w/LE Jarvis version 7.0.3.011 and full HD audio. Most 4K samples play well as well, with only a couple of really high bitrate samples struggling due to M8S II's 100M LAN port.

I don't need 2x units (got a Mi Box while I wait a month for GearBest to deliver), so if someone's interested in one (already w/LE installed to internal NAND memory) at cost, PM me.

Keen to get 1 of these using LibreElec. The only question I had was the "known issues" reported by kszaq:

"If you use S905X device the screen will be darker than normal on boot. It goes back to normal after you start/stop a video"

Is this a common problem or something that is very noticeable. Any youtube video of this?

Apparently it is not a problem for the S905, however getting 1 of these is difficult. The only 1 that seems readily available is the Beelink M18 but there doesn't seem to be much about this on these forums.

Thanks

You can still get the MiniMX Ver 1 S905 box from gear best, but this device is actually more expensive now then it was when i purchased one over 6 months ago. This device is one of the most popular S905 devices due it's spec (dual band wifi, 2g/16g flash, gig ethernet) and great compatibility with LibreElec builds.
Thanks.

I note the Beelink Mini MX has very similar if not the same specs as Beelink M18 which is also on the list.

Do you know whether it should be the same as it is a bit cheaper.

And do you have any experience with the S905X devices?
At my bedroom I have an Tronsmart Pro Vega S95 Meta android box. The same box is my girlfriend having on her bedroom. Both work fantastic with WiFi. At my girlfriends place she is living two levels higher than the WiFI router, we can stream 720p films perfect via Kodi.

Now I am looking for a second box to place in our basement. We have the Wifi Router in the basement (although, not in the same room) and I want to watch TV when I am on the treadmill there. I want a box which is working the best as possible with Wifi for <50$/55$.

The only thing I use is Kodi to stream movies or series at max at 720p.
(2017-02-23, 14:18)dubbud Wrote: Thanks.

I note the Beelink Mini MX has very similar if not the same specs as Beelink M18 which is also on the list.

Do you know whether it should be the same as it is a bit cheaper.

And do you have any experience with the S905X devices?

Yes I have a Mini M8S II which is a S905X device, it works fine with LibreElec builds, it also has a very good custom android ROM available from XannyTech, as mentioned thiough all S906X are limited to 100meg ethernet not an issue for most content except maybe very high bitrate 4K content. The M18 looks more or less identical spec wide to the MiniMX so should also work fine with LibreElec, however do some reading on the LibreElec forums to find some feedback from users who actually own a M18 .
(2017-02-23, 15:29)Schnitzels Wrote: Now I am looking for a second box to place in our basement. We have the Wifi Router in the basement (although, not in the same room) and I want to watch TV when I am on the treadmill there. I want a box which is working the best as possible with Wifi for <50$/55$.

The only thing I use is Kodi to stream movies or series at max at 720p.
For that price I would suggest you Beelink Mini MX (you can go with cheaper 1gb/8gb version since you will use that box only for streaming)
OR
Nexbox A95X (S905 version. The problem is that this version is really hard to find these days)
(2017-02-01, 10:25)chewitt Wrote: @vibe666

The hardware is probably okay but our experience of the management behind the product hasn't been too great. Their "promotions" (aka support) team registered a number of accounts in the LE forum and started to copy/paste large texts full of URL links in response to any mention of KV and also started to troll other threads as users with "..have you considered this product, it looks suitable" etc. which resulted in our moderation team banning shill "user" accounts and placing a word filter on the forum so Khadas appears as ****** so that anything we've missed doesn't result in a boost to their Google page ranking. One of their accounts (same name we see github commits and the domain reg. in) was left open and we've PM'd a list of conditions for removing the filter if they are interested in redeeming themselves.

On the software side their github repo (which they were so keen to promote) contains a "greatest hits" of community patches for Amlogic devices along with some interesting revert errors so I'd be surprised if it boots and I doubt their LE image runs Kodi particularly well. The only major positive I can say about KV is their behaviour and messy repo has made our team think more seriously about how to handle third parties who misuse our brand. As things currently stand LE does not want to be associated with their attempt at our software.

Caveat Emptor.

Hi, Chewitt:
This is Gouwa from Khadas team. First of all, I'm so sorry for the wrong promotion ways our guys did, and I have told them to stop similar promotion ways, so things like that will never happen again.

I'm also a developer before and now, honestly speaking, I'm also quite hate thus promotion information when I search and view necessary contents on pages. I should take more time on Kodi & LE community, so I could found this problem and stop it earlier. So, sorry here again.

In the future, Khadas team will keep opening, and will do our best to provide better products and user experience. At the same time, our team will also try to take part in the Kodi & LE open source community.
Notice: cpu differences between S905 and S905X

in the datasheets and comparisons from amlogic and third-party websites, the SoCs 905 and 905X look very similar: They both have a "Quad core Cortex A53 @ 2.0 GHz" (or 1.5 GHz, if the sheet was fixed after the shady frequency scaling of the amlogic kernel came to light) and a "Penta-core ARM Mali-450MP" GPU. The main difference that is noted are the different video codecs that are supported by the hardware: S905X adds VP9 and HEVC Main10 with HDR decoding and the neccessary HDMI 2.0b link.

Last week I received a S905X box and did some comparisons to my S905 boxes. While both worked fine with libreelec, and hardware decoded video was the same; software decoded video showed significant differences: S905 would play 720p h.264 10-bit ("hi10p") encoded videos just fine, while S905X would not be watchable at all: video was jerky, with many dropped frames and severe a/v sync issues.

The reason appears to be a difference in the cpu cores: During playback, the S905 was at less than 80% load per core, while the S905X was at 100% load. Further searches found that benchmarks under android also show a difference between S905 and S905X. See http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/07/31/a...omparison/

Conclusion: If you are interested in cpu-bound applications on your device, like software decoded video, emulation and games, pick the S905 over the S905X.
Wetek Hub: LibreElec 8.0.0c
MK808B+: LibreElec 7.0.2.7
MXQ Pro 4k (S905): LibreElec 7.0.2.012j (Denon X1200W, 7.1 speakers, LG PF1500G)
Akaso HM8 (S905X): LibreElec 8.0.0c
Acer Revo 3610: Milhouse
I just got a couple of 905xes. I've been out of the android box loop since the older rockchip days. These boxes are working great for me. I'm planning to go through all 70 pages here and on the libreelec page. I've tried both libreelec (7 & 8) versions. For me 7 has better performance right out of the box but I'm guessing with a little time, I could probably figure out the issues I was having in 8. I'll probably try the android roms over the weekend. Am I going to need the "shitty" Kodi install for the audio?

What ROMs do people here have the best luck with? Any tips you want to pass on to a newbie with this box? The only real problem I have is that the spdif won't work under any conditions no matter what I try. USB dac does work so I will survive if this never works but It would be great if it did. I'm sorry if the answer is 30 pages back, I'll get to it.
It would seem the S912 may be on the path to get itself a good OS as the kszaq fellow has posted a first libreelec (preview and seems to have quite some issues) build for it https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-5848.html
That would be exciting. Even if the extra cores didn't help any, a lot of the s912's have a gigibit lan.
(2017-03-04, 00:13)albertstroh77 Wrote: That would be exciting. Even if the extra cores didn't help any, a lot of the s912's have a gigibit lan.
Same as a lot of S905's then... Wink
Correct, but I think 905 is missing 265 10bit decoding.
(2017-03-04, 01:48)albertstroh77 Wrote: Correct, but I think 905 is missing 265 10bit decoding.
Not a big thing in my house. I'll throw some more coal on the telly if it's not playing nicely.
(2017-03-04, 01:48)albertstroh77 Wrote: Correct, but I think 905 is missing 265 10bit decoding.

It only lacks hdr and vp9.
Wetek Hub: LibreElec 8.0.0c
MK808B+: LibreElec 7.0.2.7
MXQ Pro 4k (S905): LibreElec 7.0.2.012j (Denon X1200W, 7.1 speakers, LG PF1500G)
Akaso HM8 (S905X): LibreElec 8.0.0c
Acer Revo 3610: Milhouse

The S905 can easily decode 10bit 1080p / 4K HEVC(h265). It will be dithered down and output as 8bit color.

What the S905x and S912 supports is 10bit HDR which is also HEVC encoded. But in reality that is pretty useless unless you have HDR10 video content or like boring yourself to death watching test clips.

Amazon and Netflix have most of the HDR10 content. I expect the Mi Box may support Netflix HDR if they ever update the device to Android Nougat.

• 67(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6