Music Video Artist Thumb
Also, I have actual Music Albums (and all the Artwork associated with it), as well as the Music Videos for said Album. This was required to see Artists pictures in XBMC, was actually an old bug, which may have never been fixed in Kodi.

This was posted by AnalogKid in my first post I linked too.

"For the Artist fanart and Artist thumb, you need you have that Artist in your music (audio) library too. Arguably, this is a slightly flawed implementation as it's theoretically possible to have a Music Video by an artist that you don't have an audio track for. In which case, no easy way to supply artist thumb or fanart via local file.
A better implementation would be to have completely separate thumbs and fanart for the the Music Videos, and fall back to using Music thumb / fanart if none exist in the Music Video structure."
OK I did some testing and it seems like something broke on what Kodi returns for listitem.thumb and listitem,fanart when in media window showing videodb://musicvideo/artists/

It seems to have worked in Kodi 17 0129 nightly and is broken in 17.0. I don't see any candidate commits to finger for the regression though.

scott s.
Woohoo, go scott967 on figuring out new Kodi bugs....

Big Grin

Now we need someone to put it in 17.1 before it's final.
There are only 3 that show the artist picture.
The video above shows what I see. I have nfo files fanart poster folder jpgs for each one.
Also I have a george michael in my music and music video and it shows only in the music section not the music videos

Thanks....
(2017-03-10, 00:24)scott967 Wrote: OK I did some testing and it seems like something broke on what Kodi returns for listitem.thumb and listitem,fanart when in media window showing videodb://musicvideo/artists/

It seems to have worked in Kodi 17 0129 nightly and is broken in 17.0. I don't see any candidate commits to finger for the regression though.
I don't think I have done anything that would cause this.

I'm busy trying to pin down a memory leak bug, so don't have time to dig into this, but if someone can provide more info then I will try to get a fix in place. The timescales are tight for 17.1 release.
@DaveBlake Screw that 1 guy with his huge ass library, this problem affects far more people. Wink

Just kidding of course. Every improvement you make, is greatly appreciated. As always, keep up the good work.
Kodi has never been a numbers game, most users are just off using not on the forum or in the dev team. I'm working for the discerning few that have a interest in Kodi and do thier bit to contribute too - that was how XBMC started, not for the millions of couch potatoes wanting to pirate TV streams.

Sadly for you, for me music video = no test data....
And honestly there just isn't enough of me to go around, so you will all have to share nicely. Tongue
I have lots of Music Video's to test, but really, the key issues are, it is a between case. It is not really a Movie (or TV Show), and it isn't really Music either. So the current Hybrid solution is the worst of both.

My biggest complaints are that Music Videos tries to hook into Music(and was never finished or fleshed out)...

1. Grabbing Artwork from the Music section, instead of looking in the folder where the Music Video is stored. If Music Videos functioned like Movies or TV Shows, we wouldn't have this problem.

2. Not being able to Grab any of the info from Music that is scrapped, and display it for a Music Video. So no searching for Genre's (unless you added it to your .NFO file), or bringing up similar Artists. Minor stuff to be sure, but I am sure some people out there would like these features.

3. The ability to play a Music Video while in the Music section. For example it would be nice to, while browsing my Music collection (by Artist), to see an option to play the Music Video, instead of just playing the song.

4. The Default Main Menu viewing of both Music and Music Videos is different than viewing Movies or TV Shows. As I've posted about before, When I click on Movies (from the main menu), I'm presenting with a listing of all the Movies I have available. When I click on TV Shows, the screen shows me all the different TV Series I have available. So you would think when I click Music, I would be taken to a listing of all the Artists I have available. (Hahahaha), nope, it brings up a view of every Song, by every Artist, in alphabetical order (WTF). Imagine if you click on TV Shows, and it brought up a listing of every TV Show in alphabetical order (which I have over 50,000+ TV Shows, imagine the memory leak that might show). Wink

Perhaps you can split this out from the current users issue, and make a new thread, asking for volunteers to test Music Videos. I can think of several people who would right off the bat.
It would be nice to give Music Videos some development love for Kodi 18.
(2017-03-11, 03:38)HomerJau Wrote: It would be nice to give Music Videos some development love for Kodi 18.
Yes I know you and others feel that.
I'll support anyone wanting to do that as best I can.

It is not that I need volunteers to test Music Videos, but that it is hard to design and implement features for a media that I do not own, and have never used. I also have a long list of personal priorities, and since I am doing all this for fun forgive me if I improve the bits I use first. Having said that I will try to fix bugs generally, I'm not a totally selfish git!
IME there are two different things called "music videos". One is "concerts" (multiple songs performed in a single setting) and the other is "songs" (single song either live or in a choreographed video).

Concerts seem to be best handled analogous to movies, as is currently done. Songs might best handled as music. Already, if you add mp4 as a music file type in advancedsettings, taglib will read mp4 file tags during scanning and add MV songs to the music library, but current musicdb doesn't flag for MV vs audio only. MV songs also are typically just available for a "title track" of an album, though things like fancams can provide additional album tracks. It can also be likely that there are more than one MV song for a track (such as different live recordings). Of course some of the stream details that the videodb holds would be nice (though the same is true for audio only songs).

MV song nfos currently are tied to specific media files, but may not be needed if mp4 tags are read. Don't know if any other video containers like mkv can be read by taglib.

scott s.
(2017-03-11, 14:50)DaveBlake Wrote: It is not that I need volunteers to test Music Videos, but that it is hard to design and implement features for a media that I do not own, and have never used. I also have a long list of personal priorities, and since I am doing all this for fun forgive me if I improve the bits I use first. Having said that I will try to fix bugs generally, I'm not a totally selfish git!

Hi Dave,

I created a test environment for 'Music Videos' (Concerts really) by taking a few of my music concerts and converting each video to just opening 30 seconds to keep the file set small (and not to break copyright). I created a zip file with each Concert folder, with Video files and nfo files and folder/fanart.

Each music video folder conforms to the Kodi music video standards:
Folder Naming: ARTIST - ALBUMNAME
Each song in the 'album' is a separate file with a corresponding .nfo file

You can unzip the folders onto your test machine and set the 'Root Folder' as a Source of type 'Music Video' - then scan and you will see the Artist and 'Albums' (and songs) in Kodi's menus (under Music Videos). Some skins do a better job that others with Jarvis > Krypton.

I also included two artists in a separate Audio test environment that conform to the Kodi Music standard (all files tagged and nfo files etc for Artist and Album metadata) - The only reason is that with these two artists you will get Artist Thumbnails in Kodi Music Video views but you won't get Artist Thumbnails for the other Music Video Artists.

I will PM you the link to download both Concert and Audio zip files.

PLEASE ANYONE HERE THAT WANTS TO CONTRIBUTE TO MUSIC VIDEO/CONCERT IMPROVEMENTS PLEASE PM ME AND I WILL PROVIDE SAME ZIP FILES (above) SO WE CAN USE THAT AS REFERENCE DATA FOR FUTURE CONVERSATIONS REGARDING FEATURE SET AND FUNCTIONALITY.

THX
Garry
(2017-03-11, 23:43)scott967 Wrote: ....

MV song nfos currently are tied to specific media files, but may not be needed if mp4 tags are read. Don't know if any other video containers like mkv can be read by taglib.

scott s.

Hi Scott,

I had a quick look and it seems ffmpeg (which is used in Kodi) supports tagging of MKV files so this looks promising.

Quote:
Matroska
FFmpeg's Matroska muxer honors the following metadata keys:

“title”
“description”
“language”
Beyond these keys, the Matroska muxer also accepts free-form key/value metadata pair

Now that last line implies it could use EXACTLY the same tags as Kodi music tags!!!

Of course there is no application that creates MKV tags with same tags a Kodi music tags but it would be easy enough to get Kodi to read the tags if they existed and you write something to add them (much like some apps that now create nfo files)

Something to think about, longer term (Kodi 19 maybe?)
Just to double check, as you said "Each music video folder conforms to the Kodi music video standards:
Folder Naming: ARTIST - ALBUMNAME"

According to Kodi's Wiki...
http://kodi.wiki/view/Music_videos

1 File structure

Its important to make use the standard file structure for music videos like so:
C:\Kodi Sources\Mvids\Artist - Title.mkv

I know the above, as all my Music Videos are Artist-Title.mkv (or .avi, mp4, etc).
Looks like that page has been edited for Krypton and no longer mentions folder structures, although I think folders are ignored anyway. Kodi either reads the video file name or can group the videos into 'albums' (concerts) by using nfo files: http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/musicvideos

Edit: There is another Wiki page for Concerts that shows a hyphen in the folder name: http://kodi.wiki/view/Music_concerts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Video Artist Thumb0