Cultural Imperialism
Hello Everyone,

I wasn't sure if this should be posted in Feature Requests or here in Related Discussions, but I've opted for the latter because it felt like the kind of thing people might like to use as an excuse for a bit of a barney.

Would Team Kodi's language department consider offering a UK / Snob / Pedants' version of English?

Where Movies becomes Films, and Seasons becomes Series.

Also, might it be possible to offer the choice of exchanging Songs for Tracks? A song is piece of music with vocals. Most of my music is without.

I know this is more than a little pedantic, and next to the world of crap that's going on in Syria and the emerging crisis in Somalia it can't be said to matter in the slightest, but it still kind of grates. And it might not take that much time to tweak.

Thanks for your time.

Thomas - Life President of the Fuddyduddlian League
Some of the user created skins give you the option to rename and/or create custom menu items.
Careful, or we'll all end up with 'favorites' plastered on our screens.

You can have 'Films' etc if you use a fancypants skin btw.
You could just change the entries in the strings.po file.
Wouldn't that need repeating every time the skin updated?
In theory, wouldnt this just need someone to volunteer to be a "translator" to in sense translate American English to British English? Kodi already supports translations to other languages, so I dont see why this would be too big a hurdle as long as someone is willing to volunteer their time to provide the "translation"
Default language is already British English however the preferences expressed above are simply personal preferences, everyone I know say's they are watching a movie or going to see a movie.
(2017-03-16, 14:49)trogggy Wrote: Wouldn't that need repeating every time the skin updated?

So? you simply create a copy and do a diff with the new version, takes about a minute of your time.
(2017-03-16, 16:54)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2017-03-16, 14:49)trogggy Wrote: Wouldn't that need repeating every time the skin updated?

So? you simply create a copy and do a diff with the new version, takes about a minute of your time.
I guess if you like doing things the hard way that would be fine.
(2017-03-16, 16:50)jjd-uk Wrote: Default language is already British English however the preferences expressed above are simply personal preferences, everyone I know say's they are watching a movie or going to see a movie.

Maybe I'm showing my age (41), but for the majority of my life people (in the UK) went to the cinema or pictures to see a film. It's only relatively recently that the UK has swapped Films for Movies. Which, snob that I am, I find to be a vulgar, soulless and depressing term: the blurt expression of an insufferable, homogenising, drossy global corporate culture. Just hates it I do.

I'm not quite so fussed about the on-going transition from Series to Seasons, but I'd like the choice to opt out rather than just accept the unbidden transition like a great gormless sponge. Not that I'm suggesting anyone here is a sponge-like gorm.

I don't really think the song thing is being picky: it just makes sense to use a more accurate and all encompassing term.
(2017-03-16, 17:29)Hidentity Wrote: I find to be a vulgar, soulless and depressing term: the blurt expression of an insufferable, homogenising, drossy global corporate culture. Just hates it I do.

Huh The term has been around since the turn of the last century. You're a bit late to the party.
(2017-03-16, 17:46)prawnee Wrote:
(2017-03-16, 17:29)Hidentity Wrote: I find to be a vulgar, soulless and depressing term: the blurt expression of an insufferable, homogenising, drossy global corporate culture. Just hates it I do.

Huh The term has been around since the turn of the last century. You're a bit late to the party.

Yes, but until the internet revolution it was largely confined to the borders of the USA. That said, if you read Patrick Hamilton's London Trilogy you'll see it was being used in the UK in the late 1920s. Nevertheless, it's only become the predominant term in the UK during the last ten years or so.
Just replace the strings in the appropriate files for the skin. Then write a script to replace the strings every time there is an update. Then make sure to test the script due to-

You know what it might be easier to just assimilate into American culture. Problem solved your welcome.
Also this gets a +1 from me for title alone. Hehehehe.
(2017-03-16, 20:03)Gorbulan Wrote: You know what it might be easier to just assimilate into American culture. Problem solved your welcome.

Thank you for your sage advice. Assimilation it is.

Remember kids: resistance is futile.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cultural Imperialism2