v17 replaygain doesn't seem to be working
We already have the pre-amp settings don't we?

Admittedly I don't understand any of this replaygain stuff but isn't that what is in Player -> Music

Files with RepalyGain information - level in dB
Files without RepalyGain information - level in dB

Only difference we seem to have an absolute dB measure while foobar seems to be relative.
Thanks for the testing feedback @Gracus.

Discussing with @FernetMenta on Git he is still pretty sure that having an avoid clipping setting is a silly thing. Why reduce gain across the entire song to avoid clipping when the AE can cleverly protect against clipping on just those places that need it?

I am suggesting that as it produces a different sound (when clipping would happen) then the option for reduced gain approach is valid. But I don't use this, and no one here has complained about clipping protection behaviour.

The replaygain not working unless peak = 1.0 is a bug that will be fixed, just the clipping protection apporach that is being debated.
(2017-03-18, 21:01)jjd-uk Wrote: We already have the pre-amp settings don't we?

Admittedly I don't understand any of this replaygain stuff but isn't that what is in Player -> Music

Only difference we seem to have an absolute dB measure while foobar seems to be relative.

Yep!
Probably the same thing and I think the different spelling make me understand it wrong

(2017-03-18, 21:17)DaveBlake Wrote: Thanks for the testing feedback @Gracus.

Discussing with @FernetMenta on Git he is still pretty sure that having an avoid clipping setting is a silly thing. Why reduce gain across the entire song to avoid clipping when the AE can cleverly protect against clipping on just those places that need it?

I am suggesting that as it produces a different sound (when clipping would happen) then the option for reduced gain approach is valid. But I don't use this, and no one here has complained about clipping protection behaviour.

The replaygain not working unless peak = 1.0 is a bug that will be fixed, just the clipping protection apporach that is being debated.

I would say that the better way could be to avoid clipping only on the part of the song that need it and not reduce gain on the entire song

Should be dependent of the peak value but not sure how it should work
Moanbag is in da place!
(2017-03-18, 21:01)jjd-uk Wrote: We already have the pre-amp settings don't we?

yes its the same, 0db in foobar is 89db, same as in kodi.

I installed the Test Build, and searched for the 2 Albums with the greatest AlbumGain differenz in my collection
the Songs "God Wanna" have a AlbumGain -0,46db and "I Like Dirt" -12.61db, (both from Original CDs Ripped, by me, wtf Music Industrie. . Rolleyes ) you can grab them here if you want https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9bSf6...WRnVDAtbkE
and I can Confirm ReplayGain is Working again. its easy to recognize a 12db Differenz Tongue

about Clipping, im on Fernetmenta side
99% of the Music CD's are recorded louder than 89db, the RaplayGain Standard, so ReplayGain Analyze the file and set the Peak, then the gain is reduced as necessary to avoid clipping, so in 99% there is no chance for Clipping
I have 12967 files in Foobar, and 512 have a +gain, most are some hidden tracks with noise or so stuff.
The Point of ReplayGain is the all my Music plays at the same db, IF there is a reason to avoid Clipping, I Would prefer Fernetmenta method, because if we reduce the gain across the entire Song again, I need to raise my Volume for that Song, and lower it again on the next Song Smile

Request/Suggestion at the End...

It would be Pretty cool if we could do something like the "ReplayGain Override" plugin for Foobar,
If you listen to a Album(s) in the normal Play Order it use AlbumGain,
but if you Play a playlist or playing a few Albums in Random mode it use the TrackGain

Englisch is not my nativ language and its 3am Blush
(2017-03-18, 12:08)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2017-03-17, 19:01)Hallucyn8 Wrote: I took a step away from this after my initial investigation as I don't really know what else I can add to help push towards a resolution.

I have a test build underway, would you or any one else be able to test how replaygain is working once it is on the mirrors?

You've caught me on an unusually busy weekend but will download and test as soon as I can. However it looks like the feedback from others is positive so that's good news Smile
No problem, although I don't know when the door to fixing 17.1 will close, so do want to get this done.

With that in mind, and following discussion with Fernet, I split the PR into a simple fix for the peak not 1.0 situation (that the complaints were about) hopefully to go into 17.1, and a restoring an option of using reduced gain to avoid clipping protection. It was these combined that got tested by @Gracus and @meewmoo, but I doubt that they actually heard the clipping aspects.

Why have a "reduced gain" option? Well playing the track at a lower volume will sound diffrent to letting the audio engine handle clipping just at the places it occurs, and some people may want that. But more than that, AE clipping protection is CPU expensive, so those running Kodi on limited processors will have the AE protection disabled. At least with the "reduced gain" approach those files with rgain and peak can be adjusted not to clip without any expensive processing. But the option to avoid clipping protection by normalising volume will reappear in v18, if my PR is approved.

So just for extra confidence I have a test build of just the simple peak not 1.0 fix (that will be backported) cooking. Anyone able to test that too would be useful.
Still Cooking?
Here we are cf3a85bacf for win32 or look for cf3a85bacf on the other platforms.

Took a while to cook, but thank you for testing.

EDIT:
Have fixed the link, seems to be my day for silly errors :p
link dont work :/

found it...need few more minutes Tongue
works fine on my end!

gogo 17.1 Big Grin
(2017-03-19, 17:42)meowmoo Wrote: works fine on my end!

gogo 17.1 Big Grin
Many thanks for that. The deadline is tight, but I will hang on in case anyone else has some feedback in the next few hours.
(2017-03-19, 19:11)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2017-03-19, 17:42)meowmoo Wrote: works fine on my end!

gogo 17.1 Big Grin
Many thanks for that. The deadline is tight, but I will hang on in case anyone else has some feedback in the next few hours.

I've managed to do some very quick tests with both of your test versions and concur that ReplayGain now appears to be functioning as I expect it to. I used the same test files that I've used throughout troubleshooting this issue and playback volume was consistent between them. So a thumbs up from me and a thank you for your efforts.
Thanks for testing. PR has merged, so replaygain should be working in 17.1 RC2

Looking to restore option for gain reduction to avoid clipping protection in v18
(2017-03-20, 00:52)DaveBlake Wrote: Thanks for testing. PR has merged, so replaygain should be working in 17.1 RC2

Looking to restore option for gain reduction to avoid clipping protection in v18

Just wanted to confirm that on the latest Kodi 17.1 release (on a RPi2 running OSMC for me) the ReplayGain function is working again. I have restored the peak tags that I had previously moved as a workaround and all seems good. I did previously use the "avoid clipping" function but so far I haven't noticed any issues with not having this although I think it would only be the rare exception where a track would clip anyway.

Thanks for your efforts on this Dave, much appreciated as always.
(2017-03-19, 15:08)DaveBlake Wrote: Why have a "reduced gain" option? Well playing the track at a lower volume will sound diffrent to letting the audio engine handle clipping just at the places it occurs, and some people may want that. But more than that, AE clipping protection is CPU expensive, so those running Kodi on limited processors will have the AE protection disabled. At least with the "reduced gain" approach those files with rgain and peak can be adjusted not to clip without any expensive processing. But the option to avoid clipping protection by normalising volume will reappear in v18, if my PR is approved.

Any news on this one?

I use latest Kodi 18 64 bits test build for windows and do not see this option

Still not merged to kodi 18 or not merged to the 64 bits test build?
Moanbag is in da place!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
replaygain doesn't seem to be working0