Is there an addon for Krypton that changes advanced settings xml file?
I am looking for an addon that will let me edit the advanced settings xml file. It is always a bit of a to make changes or update this. I am trying to reset up my sql setting again as well as do a no buffering setup. If anyone has suggestions for this let me know.
I don't think editing advancedsettings.xml is allowed for "kodi-legal" add-ons.

scott s.
Any text editor will do that, although it can be awkward on Android.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-04-04, 01:05)scott967 Wrote: I don't think editing advancedsettings.xml is allowed for "kodi-legal" add-ons.

scott s.

How so? It does not do anything that would be copyright infringement. It would make it easier to use SQL for syncing Libraries which kind of what Kodi was built to do. I just do not want to use a regular text editor because the syntax sometimes gets off and I have to worry about that.
The rules aren't just about copyright and piracy.

However in this case is more likely the official repo rules (Add-on rules (wiki)) rather than the forum ones. There are some legitimate add-ons around which do some adjustments to parts of those settings. However given how much can screw up if you get it wrong, such adjustments (manually or via addon) aren't for the novice, or those who don't know what they're doing.

Shall we say that tweaking addons are discouraged for such reasons.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
As with most things a simple use at your own risk warning could be applied here. I still don't see why this is such a big deal.
Look in the support sections for how often people screw their installs up by unadvisedly making changes to the file, especially the cache settings.

Not to mention those who just make the whole thing unbootable or unstable.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
And I have no problem personally with such an addon; I can see the reasoning why the team doesn't want to promote this sort of thing. Actually I think the devs prefer that if such settings need tweaking, they should be moved to the GUI - settings. As it is I am working on an addon that reads the Kodi sqlite db because there isn't a JSON method for it. That's not an approved practice but it's for my own use.

scott s.
Has anyone counted the number of advanced settings there are? Big job to set up an addon to do all that.

What is wrong with a bit of copy and paste typing? It never hurt anyone so far. Some people just want a gui for everything.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
On windows platform the freeware Notepad++ has xml authoring plugins that make working with xml relatively painless. Recommended if you are going to often work with advancedsettings or other xml.

scott s.
Quote:Has anyone counted the number of advanced settings there are? Big job to set up an addon to do all that.

Not that big. It doesn't do everything, but it does a lot.

https://github.com/KODeKarnage/script.ad...tingsetter

The advantage of having this in GUI is that mediacenter devices don't always have a keyboard attached, and using nano or vi over ssh can be a pita.
Ahh well done, I knew someone would come along and prove me wrong.

However
Quote:using nano or vi over ssh can be a pita.
nahhhhh nano is usable by anyone.
assert usable != not pita
(2017-04-04, 21:43)nickr Wrote: Has anyone counted the number of advanced settings there are? Big job to set up an addon to do all that.

What is wrong with a bit of copy and paste typing? It never hurt anyone so far. Some people just want a gui for everything.

The problem is some people are using Kodi on TV boxes driven by android that don't have a keyboard connected or a way to connect it to a computer or a text editor (for reasons of keeping a pure tv interface) and even if they wanted and had these conditions met its still more of a pain to deal with than a gui. All you "text editor" afficianados seem to forget that Kodi is a 10ft TV interface app.. mind you I love text and command line to edit my system (being a linux user), but some systems are just better dealt with via GUI... just because you want a gui doesn't mean that you don't know what you're doing, besides, I doubt AdvancedSettings contains anything that could brick the underlying OS. so as its a simple matter of finding and deleting the advancedsettings.xml or re-installing Kodi should you make any mistakes that make kodi unable to launch, I don't understand why there isn't a editor in the official repo, I actually have made bigger mess ups using the keymap editor (making my remote unusable in Kodi) than with the AdvancedSettings.

BTW: its actually easier to make mistakes text editing by forgetting simple things that would render the advancedsettings.xml invalid. Such as not closing tags, or screwing up things like ampersands, etc.
(2017-07-09, 20:46)JeromyNix Wrote: The problem is some people are using Kodi on TV boxes driven by android that don't have a keyboard connected or a way to connect it to a computer or a text editor
What sort of android box can't be connected to a pc or text editor? I've stuck kodi on android phones, tablets and boxes and never come across that. Huh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there an addon for Krypton that changes advanced settings xml file?0