Which Kodi version for MacMini 10.6.8?
Hi Kodi community,
Generally I can find what I am looking for on the web but this one has me stumped!

What version of Kodi will run on my Mac Mini?

Spec below
1.66 GHz processor
1.5 GB Ram
Mac OS X 10.6.8

I have tried the following older releases but non seam to work and my mac says they are not compatible.

kodi-14.2-Helix-x86_64.dmg
kodi-14.1-Helix-x86_64.dmg
kodi-14.0-Helix-x86_64.dmg
xbmc-13.2-Gotham-x86_64.dmg

Any help or if you can point me to a thread which shows what to do that would be great.

Cheers
Time for a new Mac Mini! http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/sp...c/mac_mini

Or keep an eye on http://appleinsider.com for specials posted at times and down the side columns. Sometimes on slickdeals.net as well.

I bought the highest end model they had as a refurb 2014 model and runs great. Apple promised the other day that it's in the line up to stay for now and may get updated again so you may want to wait, your call.

If you decide on the 2014 model, be sure to get the highest about of ram available as it's soldered. Believe that is 16GB. I signed up for the Credit Card and financed it for 24 months at 0% or whatever the deal was. Didn't need that long, but good to have it in case.
Helix 14.1 is the last one for 10.6.8.
1.66 core duo should be able to do 1080p (with fans spinning like crazy)

However, if you source a c2d cpu from ebay (t7200, t7400 or t7600), then you can install Lion (google "Lion platformsupport.list"), then you'll be able to run Krypton.

Or you can install Windows 10, which will give you Krypton too (but wave goodbye to apple remote), and 1080p Netflix in Edge. (Strangely even without any form of hdcp)

If you're going the Windows route, I'd recommend upgrading the cpu anyways, they are quite a bit faster than the 1.66ghz, and you'll be able to install 64bit windows 10.
how would ubuntu fair on that hardware i'd say pretty good? but you dont say what gfx card u have.

Does jarvis not run on your hardware? Your mac must be on the old side i have an 2009 imac thats still running well.

I was thinking keep your mac OS and install ubuntu on a memory stick with ubuntu? Boot it when required.

That mac is a rip off you could have a nice little intel box with nvidia gfx etc running everything if you wanted to go that route, ubuntu window mananger isnt that far from mac OS now i use both.
(2017-04-09, 22:30)Derek Wrote: how would ubuntu fair on that hardware i'd say pretty good? but you dont say what gfx card u have.

Does jarvis not run on your hardware? Your mac must be on the old side i have an 2009 imac thats still running well.

I was thinking keep your mac OS and install ubuntu on a memory stick with ubuntu? Boot it when required.

That mac is a rip off you could have a nice little intel box with nvidia gfx etc running everything if you wanted to go that route, ubuntu window mananger isnt that far from mac OS now i use both.

Agreed. Not sure why anyone would want to install Windows 10 on a 9 or 10 year old Mac, and I am too cheap to spend that much on a newer Mac. Ubuntu should run fine a system with the specs in the original post. Lubuntu would run even better. Run linux from USB, or the system could even be setup to dual boot with rEFIt or rEFInd. My Macbook from 2008 runs both Mac OS Lion and Lubuntu 14.04.
Kodi Nexus on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Nexus on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
>>>>> Newest MetalChris Addons: NEWSnet| NHL Radio | Weather Unlocked
(2017-04-09, 02:28)Soli Wrote: Helix 14.1 is the last one for 10.6.8.
1.66 core duo should be able to do 1080p (with fans spinning like crazy)

However, if you source a c2d cpu from ebay (t7200, t7400 or t7600), then you can install Lion (google "Lion platformsupport.list"), then you'll be able to run Krypton.

Or you can install Windows 10, which will give you Krypton too (but wave goodbye to apple remote), and 1080p Netflix in Edge. (Strangely even without any form of hdcp)

If you're going the Windows route, I'd recommend upgrading the cpu anyways, they are quite a bit faster than the 1.66ghz, and you'll be able to install 64bit windows 10.

Hi Soli,
Thanks for the reply but I have tried Helix 14.1 and my mac says this version is not compatible.
An I doing something wrong in the install?
Post the exact message please
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
This is a intel mac right? No PowerPC? (Not sure if that exists for macmini)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I know 14.1 is supposed to work, I remember trying it own my own Mac mini running 10.6.8 and it worked fine.

I think OSX 10.5 was end of the road for powerpc mac minis.
Ah so its not an Intel mac? that is valuable information and required?

This is the exact reason we need debug logs to help or for Memphiz to help as he's the MAC ninja
On a powerpc there would be no way that kodi writes a log (the code for logging runs only on intel - like all the other code Wink ). But in general i agree 100% Smile - i think what soli meant was that the last osx version for powerpc was 10.5 and the op has 10.6.8 (so it has to be an intel mac).

So in general Kodi 14.1 should work on this mac - comes down to "post the exact error message" again.
Ah sorry picked that one up sideways Smile
I run the Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz Mac Mini with 8GB of ram and a NVIDIA 9400m (256ram) with the latest version of Kodi and 1080p stutters like all hell. If I change the resolution within Kodi to 1600 x (whatever) it works fine. My movies are running off of a 3tb hard drive connected via usb (has its own power supply) and it keeps buffering. It's incredibly annoying. When I was on Mavericks it worked fine?

Any suggestions?
Hey.
Even though the 2009 and 2010 models with nvidia 9400m and 320m still work with the newer OSX editions (although they might be dropped very soon), it's seems Apple have largely abandoned any "real" support for these legacy gpus. It mostly went downhill after snow leopard or so (or Lion...or Mountain Lion, YMMV)

Some of this is evident by the fact that they don't support Netflix without Silver f'in light. And it stutters all over the place with 720p. Slightly newer models from 2011 onwards (even with integrated hd3000 gpus) work fine in Safari/HTML5/1080p with netflix.

Maybe this is the reason..?
What has this to do with the thread topic? Stop hijacking the thread please.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Kodi version for MacMini 10.6.8?0