Freeview HD IP Tuner? (UK)
I've been really impressed with the stability and performance of my Digibit R1 (Quad Freesat HD Sat2IP Tuner) and TVH/Kodi, so want to add in a similar freeview HD tuner as some channels on freeview aren't on freesat, giving me much greater flexibility and freedom to use it on more devices with less chance of tuners all being busy.

What do you UK guys use for Freeview HD (DVB-T2) for IP tuner use? I've found this Vbox item: https://www.vboxcomm.com/new-tvgateway-d...to-ip.html but can't find many reviews of people using it with TVH, and would prefer to know it will play well with TVH and the current Digitbit R1 set up.

For total future proofing, a quad tuner would be better than dual, but not a deal breaker considering the majority of channels will also be on freesat.

(I'll get to this bit later down the line I guess, but I hope there is a way to make freesat channels priority over freeview, as I understand it freesat is higher quality signal/picture)

Thanks
I had a look and ended up just connecting a bunch of DVB-T/T2 tuners into an x86 box. It's been pretty stable.

I have 3 x DVB-T Dual Tuner PS3 Play TVs (which get me PSB1, PSB2, COM4, COM5, COM6 and Local) and 1 x August T210 (PSB3) and 1 x Hauppauge Win-TV Dual DVB-T2 Dual Tuner (with Crazy Cat's new dual tuner drivers) for COM7 and COM8.

Each tuner is allocated to a single mux (I created a network per mux). Can record and watch any channel without clashes. The Win-TV Dual drivers are very new - but seem OK. (I had used 3 x T210s but one died) Had to roll my own kernel to get 9 tuners supported (default kernel has max DVB devices set to 8)

Feed them all from a 6 way distribution amp.
Thanks, sounds a bit more complex than a plug and play Digitbit R1 though. I was hoping for a more plug and play solution.
@t2ffn

Can't speak to TVHeadend, but the VBoxcomm XTi 3442 (dual dvb-t/t2) works very well with Mythtv backend. I have been using the XTi 3442 for about 6 months now with no problems.

I even updated the mythtv backend software (master repository) to support simultaneous recording of multiple channels on same multiplex (known as multirec in mythtv speak), so you can record up to 10 programs at the same time, assuming they were spread over two multiplexes (e.g. one tuner handing BBC One HD, BBC Two HD, ITV HD, Channel 4 HD, Channel 5HD, the other tuner handling Drama, 5 USA, ITV 2, 5Star, Horror Channel).

Mike
Hdhomerun works well for me, picked up one second hand for £20 - native tvh support works well finally too.
I have been using one since August 2015 - they are great and I would definitely have another one if needed.

My setup:

V@Home TV Gateway XTi 3342
QNAP NAS running TVHeadend and getting TV listings from Schedules Direct
Multiple TVHeadend KODI clients around the home and also access to recordings via standard \\ windows share

All the recording for the home are done by the NAS using the TV Gateway for the IP Stream - 2 channels at the same time.
I've ordered the V@Home TV Gateway XTi 3442 to sit alongside the Digibit R1 so I'll have 6 tuners, covering all FTA UK HD/SD channels. Hoping it's as easy to set up and integrate with TVH as the R1 was. TVH has set up the EPG and everything for the DVB-S/S2 channels without any manual intervention. Slick stuff.
@t2ffn a quick question on the digibit if you don't mind. I'm looking to get one to use for freesat - is it just a case of plug and play with an existing sat dish? On the tvh side is it automatically detected as a dvb input card?
You should be able to use a VBox as input to tvheadend, you'll just have to add every channel manually (one mux per URL). I have a DVB-T2/C VBox and in general it's pretty solid.
(2017-04-22, 14:41)negge Wrote: You should be able to use a VBox as input to tvheadend, you'll just have to add every channel manually (one mux per URL). I have a DVB-T2/C VBox and in general it's pretty solid.

Thanks for that - I'm quite new to tvh with ip channels, is there a guide on it anywhere?
Haven't seen any straight-forward guide, but you'll probably figure it out by Googling a bit. Basically you add an IPTV network, then add a mux to that network containing the channel URL. The mux will get scanned, and you'll get a service that you can map to a channel, just like with other services.
(2017-04-22, 14:59)negge Wrote: Haven't seen any straight-forward guide, but you'll probably figure it out by Googling a bit. Basically you add an IPTV network, then add a mux to that network containing the channel URL. The mux will get scanned, and you'll get a service that you can map to a channel, just like with other services.

I get you, so basically one mux per channel?
Yup
(2017-04-19, 22:03)tredman Wrote: @t2ffn a quick question on the digibit if you don't mind. I'm looking to get one to use for freesat - is it just a case of plug and play with an existing sat dish? On the tvh side is it automatically detected as a dvb input card?

Yeah, for the plugging in part it's just a case of attaching the cables. Within TVH, I can't recall the exact steps or guide I followed, but it's added as a TV adapter and shows the 4 Sat>IP inputs. Scan, save etc. and you're good to go. If I find the original guides I used I'll post the links,

Couple helpful pics here: https://tvheadend.org/boards/5/topics/15557

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Freeview HD IP Tuner? (UK)0