High power consumption bug with "use fixed list on home menu" disabled
Hi,

I spotted a strange problem with Black Glass Nova today while testing power consumption of a Vero4K running OSMC, and Krypton 17.1.

When "use fixed list on home menu" is disabled and in horizontal menu mode - which are both the default, the home screen is being redrawn every frame (60fps show in the debug overlay) which is causing increased CPU and GPU activity and increasing power consumption to 4 watts due to the CPU not being able to idle much.

When enabling visualizedirtyregions in advancedsettings.xml the bottom 1/3rd of the screen is a constant dark red indicating that this whole region is being redrawn every frame even though nothing is animating on the screen.

When I disable "use fixed list on home menu" this problem does not occur - the CPU can idle correctly and draws half as much power. visualizedirtyregions shows that the bottom 1/3rd of the screen is not being constantly refreshed and the average frame rate shown in the debug overlay is around 3-12 fps.

This high refresh rate of the bottom of the screen would seem to be a skin bug ? I don't see any similar issues with Estuary or the OSMC skin, although neither of those have a setting equivalent to "use fixed list on home menu" due to their different designs.

PS thanks for this great skin - it has been my default skin in Kodi for about 2 years now. Smile
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
I don't think this is a skin issue, but i'm keen on supposing about some strange bug of the Kodi engine with fixed lists.
Every now and then i've seen some strange screen redrawing issues of the horizontal home of this skin, especially during the initial setup steps of a new Kodi installation. Disappearing when adding shows or movies to the library.
However, i'm waiting for the delivery of my Vero 4k from the osmc site. I'll test and let you know.

Thanks

Tgx
(2017-04-26, 14:13)Tgxcorporation Wrote: However, i'm waiting for the delivery of my Vero 4k from the osmc site. I'll test and let you know.

Your order shipped this afternoon.
Tracking information should come through shortly.
Ahahah!

Great!
(2017-04-26, 14:13)Tgxcorporation Wrote: I don't think this is a skin issue, but i'm keen on supposing about some strange bug of the Kodi engine with fixed lists.
Every now and then i've seen some strange screen redrawing issues of the horizontal home of this skin, especially during the initial setup steps of a new Kodi installation. Disappearing when adding shows or movies to the library.
Are you referring to the issue where the left most icon in the horizontal menu flickers in and out when you scroll to the right ?

If so yes, I see that problem too, but only on some hardware that supports hardware acceleration in Kodi (I don't have the problem on my old Mac Mini but I do on Vero 2 and Vero 4k) and this problem is also fixed by enabling "use fixed list on home menu" so perhaps it is related ?
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
(2017-04-26, 17:41)DBMandrake Wrote: Are you referring to the issue where the left most icon in the horizontal menu flickers in and out when you scroll to the right ?

If so yes, I see that problem too, but only on hardware that supports hardware acceleration in Kodi (I don't have the problem on my Mac Mini but I do on Vero 2 and Vero 4k) and this problem is also fixed by enabling "use fixed list on home menu" so perhaps it is related ?

Yes, that's the same issue i was referring to.
It has always been there since Frodo. It disappears after adding new items to the home menu. The skin code is correct. It seems some strange Kodi bug related to wrapped lists.

Thanks

Tgx
My Vero 4k has arrived, fine piece of hardware!

I checked it with Black Glass Nova mode and horizontal menu. Everything set to default. Kodi Library fully loaded with PlexKodiConnect. 2-3 widgets per item.

Fps ranging from 6,7 to 12,7 idle.
CPU-Kodi ranging from 25% to 37% idle.

A little bit than the Estuary skin.

I think it's ok.

Tgx
Glad to hear it's arrived!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
High power consumption bug with "use fixed list on home menu" disabled0