v17 Kodi not remembering subtitle settings
I'm using Kodi 14.2 on both Windows 8 and a Raspberry Pi (OpenELEC 5.0.8) and neither installation remembers my preference of always having subtitles turned on. I often watch video files with embedded subtitles (not separate .sub/.srt files), and I want the subtitles always displayed.

A search of this forum and of Google suggests that lots of people want to know how to turn off subtitles. It seems I'm the only person who wants subtitles always turned on.

The wiki page at http://kodi.wiki/view/Subtitles#Changing...g_playback indicates that subtitles are always on by default, but experience shows that this is not the case.

This thread - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=87791 - indicates that the subtitle preference is held in guisettings.xml

guisettings.xml on both systems contains <showsubtitles>true</showsubtitles> but that setting seems to have no effect.

If I go into the audio options, enable subtitles, select "Set as default for all videos", answer "Yes" to the "Are you sure?" prompt, the preference is not remembered. Whenever I play a video with included subtitles, the subtitles are not shown and I need to enable them manually every time.

What do I need to do to have subtitles always displayed by default?
Having the same problem in kodi for android, openelec and raspberry pi
Since we're not going to release another point release of the v14 branch, please upgrade to v15 beta2 and report back if the issue is still present.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2015-07-02, 07:56)mkortstiege Wrote: Since we're not going to release another point release of the v14 branch, please upgrade to v15 beta2 and report back if the issue is still present.
I'm now using 15.1 and the behaviour still exists.

However, some experimentation suggests that it occurs with embedded subtitles but not discrete subtitle files. It seems that if there is a separate .SRT file alongside the video file then subtitles are automatically enabled, but if there is no .SRT file and the subtitles are included in the video file, then they're automatically disabled and have to be re-enabled for each video.

At least, that appears to be my experience.
The behaviour still exists in 15.2.

If there's an external subtitle file then the subtitles are enabled automatically, which is as it should be. If the subtitles are included in the .MKV file then they're not enabled automatically, despite having jumped through the "Enable subtitles" and "Set as default for all videos" hoops.
I'm with Kodi 15.2 and this problem is annoying as hell even for me! When will there be a fix for this??
Prob best to open a ticket

http://trac.kodi.tv/

Cheers!
(2015-11-01, 20:15)AlexMorris Wrote: The behaviour still exists in 15.2.

If there's an external subtitle file then the subtitles are enabled automatically, which is as it should be. If the subtitles are included in the .MKV file then they're not enabled automatically, despite having jumped through the "Enable subtitles" and "Set as default for all videos" hoops.

And the behaviour still exists in 16.0.
Thought I'd chime in. I enable subtitles. Then save as default. If I exit kodi and come back in I need still enable subtitles again. The default did not take.
Hopefully I'm doing something wrong.
Kodi 16, android 5.1. Tv box.
Dr Dan
This little trick works to reset your home screen shortcuts in XBMC.

Step 1: Click on the "file manager" under the "SYSTEM" on the XBMC home screen
Step 2: On the left panel of the screen open (double click) on the "profile directory"
Step 3: On the left panel open the "Database" directory
Step 4: Highlight the file named "Texture13.db" or the file with the largest number and then bring up the context menu (click on the "Menu" button on the remote that came with the STB) and tehn select the "Delete" option and click "Yes" when prompted (to confirm the deletion of the file).
Step 5: Exit out of XBMC and then reboot the STB.

When you start XBMC the home screen shortcuts should be back to how you had them.
(2016-03-27, 21:00)Drdan Wrote: Thought I'd chime in. I enable subtitles. Then save as default. If I exit kodi and come back in I need still enable subtitles again. The default did not take.
Hopefully I'm doing something wrong.
Kodi 16, android 5.1. Tv box.
Dr Dan

This little trick works to reset your home screen shortcuts in XBMC.

Step 1: Click on the "file manager" under the "SYSTEM" on the XBMC home screen
Step 2: On the left panel of the screen open (double click) on the "profile directory"
Step 3: On the left panel open the "Database" directory
Step 4: Highlight the file named "Texture13.db" or the file with the largest number and then bring up the context menu (click on the "Menu" button on the remote that came with the STB) and tehn select the "Delete" option and click "Yes" when prompted (to confirm the deletion of the file).
Step 5: Exit out of XBMC and then reboot the STB.

When you start XBMC the home screen shortcuts should be back to how you had them.
Thanks popcornsutton for your suggestion. I was able to easily follow your instructions but alas I get the identical results.

Restart kodi,
start a show,
select audio,
select to enable subtitles,
select make default for everything,
end kodi,
restart kodi,
restart show,
restart audio...
Still need to enable subtitles. Still need to select subtitles on each show.

My best guess is I may have a bad copy of kodi. I may have gotten it from the play store instead of the kodi site. Who knows.
It's rather a busy lot to do to reload and reconfigure kodi,
Then reload and reconfigure SALTS. Then reload and reconfigure trakt tv. Then try it all again but... A labor of love. I really didn't want to do the dishes anyway Smile
Best wishes,
(2016-03-05, 21:12)AlexMorris Wrote:

And the behaviour still exists in 16.1.
Exclamation 
This is still present for DVB subs in V18 when you stream/Cast to from Windows!Confused
(2016-05-06, 12:05)AlexMorris Wrote:
(2016-03-05, 21:12)AlexMorris Wrote:

And the behaviour still exists in 16.1.

And the behaviour still exists in 17.1.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi not remembering subtitle settings0